2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

9 should still be able to land us a good player, assuming we don't trade up. I actually wouldn't be shocked to see a trade up from Denver.

Lawrence/Fields/Sewell are going to be gone before 9. One or both of Devonta Smith/Jamarr Chase will also be gone before 9. Would think Zach Wilson as well. So just for the hell of it, let's say all 6 of those players go.

Surtain, Parsons, Farley, Lance, Slater, Paye. Maybe a team falls in love with Lance and trades up? Maybe he falls. But I would take any of those players (Lance TBD) at 9. 

I'll exclude QBs for the time being, but I would put Rashawn Slater atop my wish list at 9. Think he would be an excellent bookend across from a much-improved Bolles.

Bolles-Risner-Cushenberry-Glasgow-Slater....that's a very solid OL for a young team.

Another guy that intrigues me is Kwity Paye. He's a menace along the DL, and in particular, his ability to be used at multiple positions across the line could be a huge benefit for someone like Fangio with a good defensive mind. My gut tells me D will be a focus of this draft like offense was last draft, but we'll see. 

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

ATL IMO is easy to read by who they hire as their HC.   If they retain interim coach Raheem Morris they aren’t going QB but will go defense.   On the other hand they go for a young O mind then yes QB makes more sense.   

Keep in mind owner Arthur Blank isn’t getting any younger.    It’s also complicated by the fact ATL is a pretty old team.   So a rebuild is a complete long term gig - and that’s where Blank’s mindset matters so much.   Morris re-hired says they think they can turn it around with Ryan and fix the D / running game (Gurley is toast).   That’s a telling situation by the HC hire.   If it’s Morris I’d take the bet on non-QB.   

Matt Ryan is not the QB of the next Falcons contender, I think that’s an easy statement to make. This is not a situation like the Packers wasting a pick during Aaron Rodgers’ Super Bowl window (or us hedging on Peyton Manning by taking Osweiler.) With that in mind, I’d say it’s very likely this is ATL’s best chance of finding their next franchise QB. Not only that, but it’s also reasonable to think that a QB will be BPA (or close to it) at their spot.

I think there’s an actual chance that the first four picks in the draft are QB’s, depending on MIA and their willingness to trade down. I’d still very much mock Sewell for them right now, but never rule out someone giving up an absolute ransom for a franchise QB prospect.

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

9 should still be able to land us a good player, assuming we don't trade up. I actually wouldn't be shocked to see a trade up from Denver.

Lawrence/Fields/Sewell are going to be gone before 9. One or both of Devonta Smith/Jamarr Chase will also be gone before 9. Would think Zach Wilson as well. So just for the hell of it, let's say all 6 of those players go.

Surtain, Parsons, Farley, Lance, Slater, Paye. Maybe a team falls in love with Lance and trades up? Maybe he falls. But I would take any of those players (Lance TBD) at 9. 

I'll exclude QBs for the time being, but I would put Rashawn Slater atop my wish list at 9. Think he would be an excellent bookend across from a much-improved Bolles.

Bolles-Risner-Cushenberry-Glasgow-Slater....that's a very solid OL for a young team.

I feel reasonably certain (I mean, as certain as you can be 4.5 months from the draft) that the top 5 will go as such:

1. Lawrence

2. Fields/Wilson 

3. Sewell

4. Fields/Wilson

5. Chase

If that’s what happens, worst case scenario is Parsons, Farley, and Surtain go in the next 3 picks. I’m trading down if I’m Elway there, unless Paye or Rousseau show up to the combine at 34DE size and still test with their expected explosion. Going back to my last post about QB’s potentially going 1-4, I think that’d be absolutely ideal for us. Sewell goes 5th, and then there’s no one left on the board that teams could charge a premium for in a trade up scenario. 

18 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Matt Ryan is not the QB of the next Falcons contender, I think that’s an easy statement to make. This is not a situation like the Packers wasting a pick during Aaron Rodgers’ Super Bowl window (or us hedging on Peyton Manning by taking Osweiler.) With that in mind, I’d say it’s very likely this is ATL’s best chance of finding their next franchise QB. Not only that, but it’s also reasonable to think that a QB will be BPA (or close to it) at their spot.

I think there’s an actual chance that the first four picks in the draft are QB’s, depending on MIA and their willingness to trade down. I’d still very much mock Sewell for them right now, but never rule out someone giving up an absolute ransom for a franchise QB prospect.

If I were GM I don’t think the Falcons should do anything but think long term and get QB.  But their HC hire will directly reflect whether Blank sees it that way - the HC hire says a ton of what they want to do.   HC Morris points heavily to a retool; an O mind hire locks in turning the page with this next coaching regime (even if it’s not year 1).  

Now a really innovative GM could retool defensively and trade back.  Just saying ATL’s position is a lot more readable by who they choose to hire as HC. 

Edited by Broncofan

Pick 1.9 has been discussed pretty frequently here but I'd like to turn my attention on the rest of the draft. 

While I think 80%ish of our draft should be devoted to the defensive side and I'm firmly in the "you don't draft a RB in the first round" camp but if one of the top 3 guys (N. Harris, J. Williams and Etienne) fall to our 2nd pick... I'd really have to consider taking one. 

Najee is so physical and has some of the most reliable hands you'll see from a back. His lateral movement skills remind me of Marshawn and he's just as tough to tackle. Etienne has home run speed, also a great receiver, and surprisingly strong as well. Javonte... might be my favorite prospect in this draft though. The guy hates getting tackled, runs so angry all the time. Definitely prefers to run through defenders than around but has great, subtle moves to make defenders miss. He wasn't the receiving back, that duty was primarily Michael Carter's job (who I also think will be a solid pro) but he looked good when called upon. Javonte and Harris (especially Harris) also look good and have the build to hold up in pass protection which is oh so important these days.

17 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Pick 1.9 has been discussed pretty frequently here but I'd like to turn my attention on the rest of the draft. 

While I think 80%ish of our draft should be devoted to the defensive side and I'm firmly in the "you don't draft a RB in the first round" camp but if one of the top 3 guys (N. Harris, J. Williams and Etienne) fall to our 2nd pick... I'd really have to consider taking one. 

Najee is so physical and has some of the most reliable hands you'll see from a back. His lateral movement skills remind me of Marshawn and he's just as tough to tackle. Etienne has home run speed, also a great receiver, and surprisingly strong as well. Javonte... might be my favorite prospect in this draft though. The guy hates getting tackled, runs so angry all the time. Definitely prefers to run through defenders than around but has great, subtle moves to make defenders miss. He wasn't the receiving back, that duty was primarily Michael Carter's job (who I also think will be a solid pro) but he looked good when called upon. Javonte and Harris (especially Harris) also look good and have the build to hold up in pass protection which is oh so important these days.

I'll just say this once in this thread (well, I'll try anyways lol) -  if we had the same approach in 2020, we'd have had either JK Dobbins or Cam Akers.   Not disagreeing with the idea, just that 2020 was the year to mine RB talent, you get pretty special guys.   Nothing against the 3 guys listed, but none of them were as good as Taylor, Akers or Dobbins IMO.   It's nothing against Hamler (and I said as much then), but any of those RB's (or my play-the-GM pick of Jaylon Joseph at CB), would have had such a massive impact going that route.   Oh well, it's spilt milk, moving on. 

For 2021 - in Shurmur's O, I think it's more of a Williams/Etienne that fits what we are looking for.    I do worry that Harris is more Jeremy Hill than he is Derrick Henry.   I wouldn't have any problems with Etienne / Williams at 2.8 (we get 2.8, 3.7, then back to 4.9, 5.8, 6.7 FWIW) - but I truly don't think Etienne would be there at 2.40.   I'd do back flips if Williams was there.

Sadly, though, I suspect Elway & co. won't prioritize RB with MG3 in the fold for 1 more year....ugh.    I really, really, really, really hope Elway surprises me there.

Edited by Broncofan

I really liked Cam Akers and JK Dobbins (wasn't as big on Taylor but he's really turned it on this 2nd half of the season) but I think all 3 are better backs than those guys honestly. As much as I like Williams and Etienne, I think Najee ends up being the best/first picked of them all. Najee isn't Henry, sure, but I think he's a top 5 back NFL.

And you're right in that it all might be moot with MG3 already here for another year.

Obviously early and maybe wishful thinking but a draft like 1. Parsons, 2. CB (Stokes or Campbell) 3. RB (Javonte Williams or Gainwell) would look great. There is so much depth at WR, both in FA and in the draft, that I wonder if WR talent falls... A bit unfortunate for us that there is almost no need for us there other than a WR 4 if/when Patrick leaves. 

Candidly, I wouldn't expect Parsons to be available. Anything is possible, of course, but I would expect he's probably gone before our pick as it stands today. CB is all but a guarantee in the offseason. Bouye not coming back, Callahan not reliable. The big question is how our new FO will be evaluating guys who opted out this year because that's a real deciding factor given some of the players projected Top 10. 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Obviously early and maybe wishful thinking but a draft like 1. Parsons, 2. CB (Stokes or Campbell) 3. RB (Javonte Williams or Gainwell) would look great. There is so much depth at WR, both in FA and in the draft, that I wonder if WR talent falls... A bit unfortunate for us that there is almost no need for us there other than a WR 4 if/when Patrick leaves. 

I'd do cartwheels if Williams was there at 3.7...but in this RB draft, he seems like the 3rd RB off the market (Etienne & Harris top 2).   I'd love to be wrong and watch him get snapped up at 3.7, but all the game-changing RB's last year went Rd2, it seems to be the new sweet spot for RB value.

Side note - Chuba Hubbard hurt his stock by staying in school.  He probably wouldn't have gone past the top 4, but it seems like he's barely going to be in this year's top 5 either, a year older, and more mileage.   If you're a college RB and you can declare with a decent Day 2 grade, positional devaluation says make the jump.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I'm no scout, or even a good arm chair one, but my early viewpoint of CBs:

Loved Jaycee Horn as he's physical, sticky in coverage, plays inside and out, and plays like a football player. Curious to see his combine as I've read there are concerns of his long speed. Reminds me a bit of Talib.

Surtain II I like a lot too. He's really good at mirroring and turning to find the football. No big weaknesses that I saw but also didn't standout completely either. 

I don't like Farely unless he somehow happened to be there in the 2nd. You can see the athleticism and ball skills, but he reacts to the WR rather than having a good understanding of what the offense is doing, gets handsy/grabby, stays flatfooted at the snap and add in the injury concerns I hope we don't take him.

Tyson Campbell is a Farely lite in the sense that he has a similar skill set but everything is a small notch below Farelys (ie ball skills, athleticism, etc.)

10 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm no scout, or even a good arm chair one, but my early viewpoint of CBs:

Loved Jaycee Horn as he's physical, sticky in coverage, plays inside and out, and plays like a football player. Curious to see his combine as I've read there are concerns of his long speed. Reminds me a bit of Talib.

Surtain II I like a lot too. He's really good at mirroring and turning to find the football. No big weaknesses that I saw but also didn't standout completely either. 

I don't like Farely unless he somehow happened to be there in the 2nd. You can see the athleticism and ball skills, but he reacts to the WR rather than having a good understanding of what the offense is doing, gets handsy/grabby, stays flatfooted at the snap and add in the injury concerns I hope we don't take him.

Tyson Campbell is a Farely lite in the sense that he has a similar skill set but everything is a small notch below Farelys (ie ball skills, athleticism, etc.)

I posted a few pages back that I too like Jaycee Horn a lot. I think he might be my favorite corner in this draft.

• Like 1

With a new GM on the way pretty much any scenario is in play - even a trade up to get the 3rd QB.  I don’t think a trade up to get Parsons happens given the price.  

Re: Horn I think he’s the 2nd guy behind Surtain on pure film talent.   He could get dinged for lack of long speed.  That will be something to watch for in the Combine.   I think he’s a baller but stranger things have happened.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

With a new GM on the way pretty much any scenario is in play - even a trade up to get the 3rd QB.  I don’t think a trade up to get Parsons happens given the price.  

Re: Horn I think he’s the 2nd guy behind Surtain on pure film talent.   He could get dinged for lack of long speed.  That will be something to watch for in the Combine.   I think he’s a baller but stranger things have happened.  

Parsons really depends how far you have to move up. If he slides to the Lions at 7, it should cost less than our 3rd. Depending how the board is falling, I’d seriously consider it.

I like Jaycee Horn, but he’ll struggle if refs aren’t fans of ‘letting them play.’ He’s VERY grabby, and I think his physical strength over college WR’s lets him do it legally enough. I wonder what that looks like when he’s lined up across from men, though. Caleb Farley is certainly my favourite corner for a zone scheme like ours. 

• Like 1