Changes? 1/4 of the season completed

Humble_Beast

I’d vote to stay the course on both sides of the ball. The only thing I’d like tos we changed is mix up the corners a bit more; as far as I’m concerned, we have 5 guys who are about as good/reliable as the other.

The biggest culprit these past two games has been the offense. I’m actually mostly fine with the playcalling but the execution has been terrible. Between Cook’s and Cooper’s drops, Lynch missing easy yards instead of dancing, and the line pass blocking badly, the team has left plenty of potential points on the field.

I think a lot of our issues with the offense is due to our OC and not Derek Carr.  I know I'm no expert, but I really think we are under-utilizing J. Richard and D. Washington.  I think we need to put Cooper in motion more often and possibly look into screen plays.  

I think the same goes for our defense against the screen.  There was a play on 3rd and long against Denver where we gave up a first down from a screen play.  They had Jamaal Charles at RB and I think a 3 WR set on the left.  I may be wrong with the receivers, but even I could see it coming.  I think we've done terrible against screen plays all season long.  I wish I had the games recorded so I could provide video evidence of this claim, but I don't.  

I think we can win our next 2 games.  We need to continue to play solid defense like we did against Denver and come up with some plays that have high success rates for EJ Manuel and the offense.  That and establish the run with J. Richard.  I don't think M. Lynch should really come into the game unless its to close it out in the fourth.  I think by then if we were successful with controlling the clock then he could beat up on tired defenses.  I know its been answered with other posts, but where is our FB?  Shouldn't we be using him more if we are going to use M. Lynch?  I didn't watch too much of the Denver game, I had business to take care.

Hopefully we get Cooper more involved so that he can gain his confidence back.  If CP can run a draw play why can't Coop?  I don't think we're going to the playoffs anymore, but I think we are still set to win a lot of games for the next 5-10 years.  Who knows, maybe we rally and win 10 in a row.  The season is still young, and a lot of football has yet to be played.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/05/tim-brown-calls-for-raiders-amari-cooper-to-be-more-involved-in-offense/

Brown and Gannon are 100% correct here. Need to get Cooper involved early in the offense. This is what I was saying prior to last week. Get him in space. Move him around. Get him touches early on to keep his confidence up. He was getting separation on his routes the last 2 weeks and Carr isn't looking at him for whatever reason. 

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/05/tim-brown-calls-for-raiders-amari-cooper-to-be-more-involved-in-offense/

Brown and Gannon are 100% correct here. Need to get Cooper involved early in the offense. This is what I was saying prior to last week. Get him in space. Move him around. Get him touches early on to keep his confidence up. He was getting separation on his routes the last 2 weeks and Carr isn't looking at him for whatever reason. 

Maybe because (and this is only a portion of the times because varying reasons as we all know) the offense is predicated on timing and getting to ball out of the QBs hand quickly. That is when Carr is most successful. Every play can't be called for Coop. Coop and Cook were both targeted 8 times with Coop catching 2 and Cook catching 3. The Donkeys shifted the coverage to them all game, most of the time they were man covered with a safety over the top. All the other receivers for us went 16 catches on 19targets. Without Crab in the game this is what it will be like coverage wise, tho the completion percentage may go up because the Donkeys have a secondary much better than the average team. The answer isn't to force feed Coop. The coverage will move with him. It is design and call plays that get the other guys in good matchups and in open space. That is where we will have the best chance of success IMO.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Absolutely agree.

On 10/4/2017 at 5:09 PM, Dessie said:

Everything you post is dripping with ' the sky is falling' attitude.

In  pre season you were venting about Calhoun not getting cut (he did) then its the no identity of the defense. We go 2-0 and you barely post. Now we have lost 2 you are venting about the offense.

It's hard to read your posts now because you come across as someone that just wants to whine, moan, complain or vent. 

Not that I am obligated to explain myself, but really I post minimally or not at all because I am just reading the stuff here and elsewhere and watching the games peacably. You're kinda misreading it. I only post essentially to vent, when it comes up. Maybe I am misrepresenting myself in doing that. 

Though I have to reiterate, I think Downing thus far is doing an abysmal job. Add recently mentioned issues to the previously stated issues I said - misuse of Cooper, Washington, Richard. No effective use of Olawale, complete absence of Walford. Not that the last one is a big deal.

I've calmed a bit since the last posts because it's further away from the Denver game now. I'd still assess Downing's work 1/4 of the season in as poor. As far as OCs go, bottom of the pile. It's hard to deny that, we're not talking about his work going forward. Take note of this - going forward the season's hopes rest quite a bit on him. Without Carr, if he cannot maximize what he has to work with then it's bad news for playoff hopes. This is a crucial stretch with two potentially winnable games before the schedule becomes truly challenging. This team helps itself alot coming up if Downing excels. 

To everyone pounding the table for more Ricard and Washington, rewatch the chiefs game in oakland last year. Rainy day, perfect for a good old fashion running game. However without the bigger back in Murray, the other two struggled. Look I like both those guys but they aren't between the tackle guys, they're Darren Sproles types that you bring in to spell the cowbell. The reason why Patterson and Richard had those big runs was because Lynch was beating up on them for a quarter and a half. Thats what the running game looks like when things go according to plan. That's why the Raider's traded for Lynch, and that's why they drafted a bigger back. The run game wasn't as effective because of the physical fronts the Raider's have played against. I predict that things will change this week when they play against the Ravens, especially if williams is out.

Agree with stay the course. I think the success of the first two games got us so high we lost sight of a few things.

Carr is coming back from a serious leg injury and he was known to be a bit excited to start games just like Favre did. I'm sure that 3rd game had him worrying about getting hurt and what happens when you worry about things? they usually appear like looking at the rock instead of the path while riding the bike. DOHHH...

I understand keeping oline together due to chemistry and a lack of practice together. Penn hurt the chemistry by missing time and got a new contract extension. I was against that and was willing to move on, so if their play doesn't improve. I'm willing to trade our guards. I know I said stay the course but if they have value and if we're out of playoff hunt, then I'm working on getting younger and less expensive and possibly improving our Defense with trading for players. Lots of teams may be interested in one of our guards. 

Richard and Washington are scat backs and need some time behind the finesse line. If we pound Lynch into no holes he'll be injured in six weeks. We are a pass first team that tried to switch to pound the rock because Lynch was trucking guys those first two games. That is not who we are but we might have to be the next few weeks until Carr comes back.

Feed Cooper so much it makes or breaks him. I think he'll be fine but let him know we aren't shying away even if he's in a rut. Force feed him as he seems like the type to rise above. High character nice guy who's probably not as desired by a Raider fanbase who'd probably prefer OBJ and his antics. Give me Cooper ESPECIALLY with moving to Vegas. 

Our coaches are fine. Dowling will learn from his mistakes. 2 games of love and praise followed by two games of blah. Maybe the fanbase is the problem? We really have high expectations and I'm glad we do! Sick and tired of KNOWING we were going to have a bad season before it even began. Even if we miss the playoffs, NO TEAM will want to face us if they need the win to get in. Yep, it's the fanbase. Rabid dogs biting everything in site. We've got a great future, geez we have a future. Don't remind me of the Russell days of despair. SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

PS I'm just as bad as you all so I'm looking in the mirror as I write this.O.o

Just now, riceman80 said:

I thought it last year, still think it this year. Norton needs to go..

Defense has actually been the more consistent part of the team so far this year. Not that I think Norton should stay, but if he does go it's not because of these past 4 games.

My thought, without a " the sky is falling" tinge to it - 

You can't have a coaching staff set up this way, specifically regarding the HC, OC, DC. HC who is not really an Xs and Os type, with coordinators who also lack that same ability. We have good motivator and leader type coaches, but none of the 3 who are expert at scheming, gameplan, play callers. Both coordinators are green types who would need to be groomed under an expert football mind for this setup to work well. So who does that stuff fall on? No balance there. Who can right that ship? Not that I love Musgrave, but I think part of the reason the offense worked last year was that Musgrave was a good enough offensive mind to complement what Del Rio is well. There was some balance there in the things a team needs to succeed.

I think this week further supports my previous thoughts on Downing too. But it brings Norton back to the table too.

I mean, is there anyone here at this point who really thinks we could win a Super Bowl with these coordinators? Really? I'm sure there are supporters of those guys, but can anyone be convinced they are at all formidable?

Maybe we could succeed. But does anyone really think they can do things to win us games? In a similar way a star player like Mack or Carr can win games for you, a coordinator or coach can do alot for a team too. 

11 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Yea I can't see KNJ making it very far into the season as the DC. Unless JDR is cut loose as well, Pagano will be ta king over the defense totally.

What about the offense too? This whole team is a burning dumpster fire we just lost to a team that got beat 44-7 by the Jaguars, and lost by 16 last week at home to the Steelers. I want a head coach upgrade, it was JDR's decision to break up a top 10 offense and with a rookie OC, it's a firable offense imo.

Archived