Rookie Report

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Said it before jack of all trades master at none.

I still think he'll be good I just don't love his fit in a 3-4 defense. It also doesn't help that the Cardinals probably have the best LB unit in the league with Chandler Jones, De'Vondre Campbell, Jordan Hicks, Devon Kennard, and Hasson Reddick. 

It’s only been 4 games.... Simmons will be fine.   He isn’t a jack of all trades master of none.  That’s a overly simplistic way of trying to describe him.  
Even before the draft it was a KNOWN thing that you can’t just toss him into a defense and expect him to dominate.  He’s a defensive weapon not simply a OLB.  He needs to either have free lance ability or have the scheme centered around him.  Not because he has weaknesses in his game that need hiding but rather he has a unique skill set that won’t shine within the restraints of a OLB’s responsibilities.  But you don’t base a defense around a rookie, he isn’t that good yet.  If he has a creative DC that plays him to his strengths he’ll be a force in due time.  However, doing that requires other players around him take on more scheme responsibilities that will limit their play making ability.  It’s a trade off.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, NYRaider said:

I liked Muse as a late round developmental prospect but man that was still such a puzzling pick so early in the draft. The one thing that gives me hope though is that Muse is an elite athlete for a LB so maybe he'll be able to develop into something for us.

Muse isn’t an elite athlete though.  He’s got good straight line speed but his hips aren’t great.  He certainly isn’t a poor athlete he’s just above average though.  Besides running down a breakway RB in a straight line what crazy athletic plays has he shown.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:22 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Muse isn’t an elite athlete though.  He’s got good straight line speed but his hips aren’t great.  He certainly isn’t a poor athlete he’s just above average though.  Besides running down a breakway RB in a straight line what crazy athletic plays has he shown.

Tanner Muse (6'2" 227): 4.40 forty (1.54 10 yard split), 4.12 short shuttle, 6.84 3-cone, 34.5" vert, 10'4" broad, 20 bench reps 

Devin White (6'0" 235): 4.42 forty (1.56 10 yard split), 4.17 short shuttle, 7.07 3-cone, 39.5" vert, 9'10" broad, 22 bench reps 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Anyone really notice Amik Robertson when he was in the game? I usually fixate on the DL so I missed a lot of the secondary play and didnt really notice him too much........

Was he in that much ? Joyner came back in and seem to be on a lot of plays? 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Anyone really notice Amik Robertson when he was in the game? I usually fixate on the DL so I missed a lot of the secondary play and didnt really notice him too much........

He played 15 snaps and went unnoticed which is usually a good thing for DBs. 

On 10/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I'd say Muse is an elite athlete. His Underwear Olympics numbers reflect it. 

I just don't think he's a great football player. Stacked D around him, he was mostly playing S and LB. But he always seemed too big for S yet too small for LB. 

Idk, I hated the pick because of when we made it. He was a late Day 3-UDFA to me. I think his ceiling is as a rotational piece and ST guy. But he's almost assuredly an elite athlete per athletic testing. 

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I just don't think he's a great football player. Stacked D around him, he was mostly playing S and LB. But he always seemed too big for S yet too small for LB. 

Pretty much every single player from that Clemson defense has struggled in the NFL other than Mullen. The 3 first round pick DL (Ferrell, Wilkins, Lawrence) have a combined 10 sacks in 62 games, Terrell/Wallace have both struggled, Simmons has really struggled, and Muse couldn't even make our roster.