QB 2022 and beyond

RandyMossIsBoss

18 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He wants to be traded, doesn’t mean we have to. I’d rather force the unhappy QB to play and see if 2020 was fluke than get mid round return. 

If he demands a trade he's going to be traded. 

It would be bad for the locker room, bad for the QB room and bad for the organization to keep him around. 

40 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

1st rounder seems unrealistic in a what have you done for me lately league, but the idea of us trading him for a mid round pick is even more unrealistic. We are still taking on a stupid amount of dead cap even in this dream scenario where he gives us money back, correct? So no reason to move him unless it’s actually beneficial for us. A 4th round pick for 2nd overall pick talent that we owe a bunch of money too? Doesn’t seem worth it.

He wants to be traded, doesn’t mean we have to. I’d rather force the unhappy QB to play and see if 2020 was fluke than get mid round return. 

It is beneficial for you. It gets him off the cap for 2022 when you still wouldn't be able to cut him because it costs more to cut him than keep him again. It also prevents you from paying him anywhere between an additional 10-40 million in actual real cash

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think something along the lines of a mid round pick this year + conditional pick the following year based on his performance names the most sense. Conditional can peak at like a second

This is the league that paid a 1st and 4th for Sam Bradford, I think we, as fans, are very much underestimating what a team desperate for QB might pay. His contract is worse for the Eagles to trade him than it is for the team that is taking it on. You can't convince me that there are not several teams outside of QB draft range that wouldn't give up something significant for Wentz: Saints, Patriots, Colts, 49ers.

Or I am completely wrong and they'll have to give him away.

Honestly, I just hate that we are even here. It sucks......

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is the league that paid a 1st and 4th for Sam Bradford, I think we, as fans, are very much underestimating what a team desperate for QB might pay. His contract is worse for the Eagles to trade him than it is for the team that is taking it on. You can't convince me that there are not several teams outside of QB draft range that wouldn't give up something significant for Wentz: Saints, Patriots, Colts, 49ers.

49ers aren't going to do it. Saints would have to commit long term to afford him. Washington, New England and Indy are your huckleberries for sure. Maybe Denver?

It's beneficial for the eagles to trade him. The argument that it's not is erroneous.

Bradford was an extreme situation caused by injury. People love to use that, but the situation was unique. Carson went for a crazy amount when extenuating circumstances are factored in and then two years later went for like a sixth. 

I think you could get some value for him, but I think it has to be conditional if it's going to be real value. After seeing him this year, if you were another gm, wouldn't you make it conditional on how he plays?

5 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Yea man. If we find someone desperate we can ask for the world. Starting QBs, even average ones, are worth a fortune. Bradford was the perfect storm but still, a team that has good all around talent and is questionable at QB has a limited window. More so if the QB gets injured. I’m not saying 1st, even though that’s terrible ROI. But a 2nd and a conditional pick based on successes would be acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

49ers aren't going to do it. Saints would have to commit long term to afford him. Washington, New England and Indy are your huckleberries for sure. Maybe Denver?

It's beneficial for the eagles to trade him. The argument that it's not is erroneous.

Bradford was an extreme situation caused by injury. People love to use that, but the situation was unique. Carson went for a crazy amount when extenuating circumstances are factored in and then two years later went for like a sixth. 

I think you could get some value for him, but I think it has to be conditional if it's going to be real value. After seeing him this year, if you were another gm, wouldn't you make it conditional on how he plays?

Best case is the guys controlled by ego...so Gruden/Oakland or Elway/Denver. Or you get Frank Reich, who loved Carson, to push to make a move.

I don't think they'd trade him in division, he isn't washed like McNabb was. But if Washington offered #19 I'm sure they would think about it.

Maybe New England, but not sure Carson would fair much better in that situation.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Best case is the guys controlled by ego...so Gruden/Oakland or Elway/Denver. Or you get Frank Reich, who loved Carson, to push to make a move.

I don't think they'd trade him in division, he isn't washed like McNabb was. But if Washington offered #19 I'm sure they would think about it.

Maybe New England, but not sure Carson would fair much better in that situation.

Yeah, I won't completely discount the niners. There's an avenue where it makes sense, though extremely unlikely. I've talked about it in our forum.

We are stuck in purgatory there and if you're going to move on from that, it has to be much cheaper or better, and I don't know that there's enough of a difference there, so just seems so unlikely

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I won't completely discount the niners. There's an avenue where it makes sense, though extremely unlikely. I've talked about it in our forum.

We are stuck in purgatory there and if you're going to move on from that, it has to be much cheaper or better, and I don't know that there's enough of a difference there, so just seems so unlikely

Yeah I could see Kyle liking Wentz more. Certainly possible, but if I were them I'd just try and get Lance in the draft and have a good team around him.
But he could be long gone. I'd be curious what trade packages would look like there. 

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

How ridiculous is this whole thing? Peterson stuck w/ Wentz well after fans were calling for Hurts, and if anything it seems Doug was reluctant to ever play Hurts but there was FO pressure (they drafted Hurts, afterall). Now Doug is the reason Carson wants out? Madness. Was there just no conversation between these two when Hurts got the job? Or does Wentz just think it’s unacceptable he was benched the final 4 games of a lost season after having one of the worst seasons in modern franchise history?

Doug is a buffoon and/or Wentz is a soft diva. Unfortunately I think both are true.

Way to much crap being thrown against the wall hoping something will stick and assumptions by the masses being made.

I think you all have it backwards as do these dumb *** know it all reporters with supposed inside information. If Wentz has any issue, its with Howie who I Believe forced the Jalen Hurts pick/start/drama. Not Pederson.

If that is indeed true (more likely), and your GM wants you out for his new boy toy, then Carson should have a problem with the Organization moving forward.  

Edited by Nabbs4u

20 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Elway over paying for Wentz would probably be our best bet at value returned. That's also a decent spot talent wise for wentz to go to not sure who their offensive coaches are though.

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Way to much crap being thrown against the wall hoping something will stick and assumptions by the masses being made.

I think you all have it backwards as do these dumb *** know it all reporters with supposed inside information. If Wentz has any issue, its with Howie who I Believe forced the Jalen Hurts pick/start/drama. Not Pederson.

If that is indeed true (more likely), and your GM wants you out for his new boy toy, then Carson should have a problem with the Organization moving forward.  

Actually I'm a bit surprised not many people if any is linking the Carson "stories" to Howie instead of the QB. He forced the QB pick in the second round, you can see that Pederson wasn't big on playing Hurts this season, his job might be saved by Hurts and he has the most to win by destroying the reputation of the QB he gave a massive extension to. Any other GM would have been fired by just one of those instances let alone all of them.

8 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Elway over paying for Wentz would probably be our best bet at value returned. That's also a decent spot talent wise for wentz to go to not sure who their offensive coaches are though.

Pat Shurmur (OC) and Mike Shula (QB coach), certainly worse situations out there...like here.