MLB Playoff Discussion

BayRaider

On 10/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, Spartica4Real said:

The Rays gotta be favored in the ALCS. They were of course the better team in the regular season but that's not why, the 7 games in 7 days format *heavily* favors them over the Astros' pitching staff. No one will weep for the Astros though lol.

houston has already proven that all the haters just like to complain honestly. Theyre in the ALCS, and yea, Tampas favored but Tampa is a top 2 team... maybe even the best team.

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Legendary athlete/boomer/sabermetrician Joe Morgan passed away at 77. I know many of us laughed at his cantankerous old school ways, but he did inspire the greatest internet creation, after all. 

He's also the best 2B in baseball history born after the year 1900 (or ever, either is acceptable) and a huge cog in one of the most legendary teams in baseball history. His broadcasting career underrates his playing career, and he was legitimately one of the best to ever do it. RIP Joe.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, Spartica4Real said:

The Rays gotta be favored in the ALCS. They were of course the better team in the regular season but that's not why, the 7 games in 7 days format *heavily* favors them over the Astros' pitching staff. No one will weep for the Astros though lol.

Yeah - this "straight thru" format is murder on pitching staffs. The NYY were thin to begin with and their starters werent reknowned for pulling down alot of innings - hence the need to bring Cole back on 3 days rest in game #5 and bringing our "closers" in early in both games 4 & 5. It is what it is.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's also the best 2B in baseball history born after the year 1900 (or ever, either is acceptable) and a huge cog in one of the most legendary teams in baseball history. His broadcasting career underrates his playing career, and he was legitimately one of the best to ever do it. RIP Joe.

And tbh as a broadcaster he was fun to hate on.

• Like 1

It's not so much the cheating as it is the fact they only won it all just 3 years ago as to why I don't want Houston to win the World Series this year. I'm also against TB as a fan of a division rival, the Yankees, who just happened to be defeated by TB in the ALDS.

Unless my team has a shot to win, I prefer the champions in major sports leagues be teams who end long title droughts where possible. Unless said team is hated by me for one reason or another.

Take for example, I'm a Blue Jackets fan. Of the final 8 in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs, 7 had title droughts of at least 10 seasons, but the one who did not was Pittsburgh, my most hated NHL team, and they ended up winning it that year and the year after that, the latter year defeating my Blue Jackets in the first round. Up until 2017, CBJ had never lost to the eventual Cup winners in the playoffs, the closest was in 2009, where the Red Wings (then in the West as was CBJ) took Pittsburgh to a 7th game in the final, but lost to them.

The Blue Jackets have now lost to the eventual Cup winners 3 of the last 4 years, resulting in me wanting them to move on from their current coach, who is American as a matter of fact. In baseball, basketball, or American football, I wouldn't hold the fact that a coach is American against them. But in hockey, a sport which has had fewer great American players than the other major sports, I do hold it against him, despite me being proud to be American, because all the good hockey players and coaches come from either Canada or Europe.

Enough talk about hockey, I want either the Braves or Dodgers to win the World Series. If it is the Braves, I want it to be a swan song for the Braves name, which should be retired in the wake of the George Floyd protests which have already claimed the Redskins name of the Washington NFL team. And Cleveland's MLB team is seriously considering a name change too.