Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

Mike, the bottom line is that every year begins with half a team ill prepared to begin play.  No one can tell me that either the offense or the defense had their **** together and were prepared to play LA.  We basically gift wrapped that game in the 1st quarter and handed it to them.

So whose gonna take the rap for that?

Is it Nagy's fault Pace can't assemble a healthy and talented OL and even if he did could Nagy even take advantage of it?  I think it's gotten to the point where some "tinkering " here and there is no longer an option or a solution.  It's simply a half built poorly coached .500 team at best.

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's not that simple...if it was all the FO staff and coaches around the NFL would have came from the Pats...

Looking at some of the best coaches in the NFL right now they didn't come from the most successful teams...Sean Payton came from a poor Dallas team...Sean McVay from the Redskins...Kyle Shanahan was ran out of town in Cleveland before hitting Atlanta then being hired by the 9ers...

Same goes for GM...Brandon Beane has turned the Bills round while coming from Carolina...Andrew Berry have built a quality roster in Cleveland after returning from Philly...George Paton is a QB away from having a quality team in Denver after coming from Minny...even Les Snead from Atlanta to LA wasn't a slam dunk hire based on the Falcons roster at the time...

In terms of the Colts roster they have found some real quality...Taylor at RB...Pittman at WR...Kelly, Nelson & Smith upfront...Stewart & Leonard on defence jump off the screen...Moore, Willis, Ya-Sin have all been quality DB pick ups as well...Dodds also apparently had a huge say in building the legion of boom in Seattle as well as the selection of Russell Wilson...that is the type of talent evaluator we need.

I like your points, but it scares me that this Colts regime doesn't seem to value the QB position enough to draft and develop a replacement for Luck.

As a fan it's difficult to know whether that is a football decision or an ownership decision. But given the Bears' current state, they need a GM who can be more realistic about the roster and follow a more measured rebuilding plan.

I would also say whoever the next GM/HC is...we need to get back to a 4-3 base to get anything out of some of our highest paid played...Robert Quinn has never been able to play as a 3-4 OLB...Mack is wasted unless he is moving forward...Hicks will probably be gone after this year...Goldman at NT...Nichols at UT...Smith can play either MLB or WLB where he would be a game wrecker...adding another 1 or 2 speedy off LBs should be fairly easy to find and Danny T/Ogletree is another option at MLB...we need to adapt to the speed you need on the back end in the NFL these days.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I like your points, but it scares me that this Colts regime doesn't seem to value the QB position enough to draft and develop a replacement for Luck.

As a fan it's difficult to know whether that is a football decision or an ownership decision. But given the Bears' current state, they need a GM who can be more realistic about the roster and follow a more measured rebuilding plan.

Thankfully that won't be an issue here for the next 15 years.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

Mike, the bottom line is that every year begins with half a team ill prepared to begin play.  No one can tell me that either the offense or the defense had their **** together and were prepared to play LA.  We basically gift wrapped that game in the 1st quarter and handed it to them.

So whose gonna take the rap for that?

Is it Nagy's fault Pace can't assemble a healthy and talented OL and even if he did could Nagy even take advantage of it?  I think it's gotten to the point where some "tinkering " here and there is no longer an option or a solution.  It's simply a half built poorly coached .500 team at best.

Top to bottom change needs to come in the offseason...new President...new GM...new HC...new staff...new schemes...new players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Thankfully that won't be an issue here for the next 15 years.

For me it's less about the Bears needing to draft a QB and more about making Fields the player the team is built around. This regime has failed to do that. I'd be nervous to bring in a new GM from another team that didn't prioritize QB play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

For me it's less about the Bears needing to draft a QB and more about making Fields the player the team is built around. This regime has failed to do that. I'd be nervous to bring in a new GM from another team that didn't prioritize QB play.

I think it is a bit unfair to say they didn't prioritize the QB spot...bottom line is there just aren't enough of those guys around...Luck should have been the QB for 15 years...you lose him you then need to try and fins that replacement when you weren't expecting to...they then make the move for Wentz this year because they were well outwith the spot to get a quality rookie...they are at least trying to fill the spot.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

This is a major change. You spent much of the offseason arguing with me about Pace.

I still think Pace is extremely harshly judged...this roster was an utter dumpster fire when he took over then got saddled with old man Fox when he clearly didn't want him...since then he has built a talent group...probably more talented than the last 10 years...but I can't over look the fact that Nagy just doesn't seem to have it as a HC in big games...he will win us games that he should win and that is why he doesn't have a losing record but when it comes to games against top opposition we go in with nothing but hope and never expectation...no point being a middle of the road franchise...blow it up from top to bottom and don't do a half arse job.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I still think Pace is extremely harshly judged...this roster was an utter dumpster fire when he took over then got saddled with old man Fox when he clearly didn't want him...since then he has built a talent group...probably more talented than the last 10 years...but I can't over look the fact that Nagy just doesn't seem to have it as a HC in big games...he will win us games that he should win and that is why he doesn't have a losing record but when it comes to games against top opposition we go in with nothing but hope and never expectation...no point being a middle of the road franchise...blow it up from top to bottom and don't do a half arse job.

I actually think this roster downturn was inevitable. We wasted the defense on Mitch.

-My current issue with Pace is that he continues to piss away future cap space on this season where the roster cannot compete.

-Nagy is clearly a trash play caller. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Top to bottom change needs to come in the offseason...new President...new GM...new HC...new staff...new schemes...new players.

It goes without saying that any wholesale changes are gonna have to come from the top.

Paces method of building his roster has failed too often.  He's over spent on positions or players who simply don't deliver as expected and his decisions on 3 or 4 in this last year have caused some real hurt now.

I don't have an answer either other than to question why some of these guys who were once top draft picks don't pan out but we seem to be a rescue squad for them and have been throughout most of Pace's tenure.

He ***** around not extending the one really good WR we do have because he doesn't want to pay him the market rate but he'll keep Jimmy Graham around for what?  He gave DT a gift because of his intangibles but how much good have those done us since he got his extension.

How much are we paying for a pass rush that can't seem to get home?  What good does it do to pay EJax based on picks he won't get when he's playing more at SS than FS?  Pace painted himself into a corner big time with those deal and his most recent draft picks.

It's always half a team.  The higher paid starters aren't producing and the reserves can't step up to replace them.  Why?  That part is on Nagy and his staff.  I realize it only one game but how much more do we need to see to recognize that the pattern is still the same?

IMHO Justin Fields is hope for the future only if we change how we do things and also IMHO that means a new GM with a different approach to building his roster and a new HC who can actually coach his entire football team not just doodle schemes that others laugh at.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it is a bit unfair to say they didn't prioritize the QB spot...bottom line is there just aren't enough of those guys around...Luck should have been the QB for 15 years...you lose him you then need to try and fins that replacement when you weren't expecting to...they then make the move for Wentz this year because they were well outwith the spot to get a quality rookie...they are at least trying to fill the spot.

I agree that Luck's retirement put the Colts in a horrible situation, but I'm just uninspired by the moves they made in reaction. They drafted Eason the following offseason, but they've never really given him much of a chance. This season they seemed laser-focused on Wentz. It all feels a bit too much like Pace's approach of bringing on veteran cast-offs to solve the QB problem.

Again - this is highly situational and as fans we're on the outside looking in. We can't separate the intentions of all the different FO people in these organizations.

I just want a guy who will build around Fields. And I think it would be easier to trust someone who had already done it with another young QB.