We're at the quarter point of the season, your thoughts/takes?

MikeT14

Did I dream this ? Back when R R was hired. Didn't he say he hated "rebuilding" and this wasn't a rebuild. He'd do whatever needed to try to win .. Or something along those lines ?

We're saying cut Haskins slack - New system ! We'll , Herbert is in a new system-Burrow is in a new system . They are true rookies. I'm just so tired of losing. Every season is groundhog day . 

Through a Quarter of the season in gif form
Minnesota Vikings Football GIF
A team that lacks the Talent to go 500 but will win 4-6 games esp in a weak division.

36 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

We're saying cut Haskins slack - New system ! We'll , Herbert is in a new system-Burrow is in a new system . They are true rookies. I'm just so tired of losing. Every season is groundhog day . 

To me Haskins getting a pass over them cause of the talent around him,We don't have a olineman playing that would start for the Chargers,not to mention they have clear advantage at every wr/te spot beside Terry and Kennan Allen is right there with Terry.Burrow WR group is great to the point John Ross is a healthy inactive and He'd prob be our #2 WR and Mixon running the ball is better then anything we have running the ball,Gibson might get there but we don't give him the ball like Cincy gives Mixon the Ball.The Lack of Talent lets the defense set up vs us like the Ravens did Bringing 5 or 6 a lot and just playing soft zone keeping it in front of them cause they knew besides Terry there wasn't a threat Deep.

Does Haskins need to play/get better 100% yes he does.Besides the Browns game he's shown improvement to me almost every game he's been out there is it enough no,but it does seem to click a little more each time he steps out there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

RR is treating this regular season as training camp/pre-season. He wants to see what kind of players he has at the expense of these games. To me his attitude is if we win the games as I’m evaluating my roster, great!  He wants his players to learn on the job. He has a lot of faith in his coaches and if the players don’t improve as they’re being coached they won’t play or be on the team. 
Sometimes I think RR wasn’t the right choice for being the HC. I’m very confused on his coaching style. Does he feel if the player has some talent they can be coached up by his staff, That’s why he doesn’t sign high priced free agents. 

If he was taking a bunch of risks, going for it regularly, not settling for field goals when they need touchdowns, not sitting on timeouts or deciding to just go home ... then I would understand this.

"I'm going to do everything I can to help this franchise win. Those who want to come with me, let's go!" is a great concept for motivation.

Problem is, he isn't doing that. I don't know if it is the chemo therapy (even cancer.org talks about "chemo brain") or if he is getting less willing to gamble, but this almost random spin-of-the-wheel style of risk/stand pat is just weird to watch.

• Like 2

We're fine at this point of the 1st qtr of the season.

But this 2nd qtr of the season IS the season, imo.

We got Rams, Giants, Dallas, bye & Giants coming up. 4 conference games & 3 of them inside the division.

We already got a win against Philly. If we can somehow win all 4 games, then we will win division.

It would put us at 5-3 overall & 4-0 in Division. 

If Washington wants any chance at making a run towards the playoffs, they need to start this week vs Rams. Which I think we will.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

We're fine at this point of the 1st qtr of the season.

But this 2nd qtr of the season IS the season, imo.

We got Rams, Giants, Dallas, bye & Giants coming up. 4 conference games & 3 of them inside the division.

We already got a win against Philly. If we can somehow win all 4 games, then we will win division.

It would put us at 5-3 overall & 4-0 in Division. 

If Washington wants any chance at making a run towards the playoffs, they need to start this week vs Rams. Which I think we will.

We’re going to be 2-6 at the midway point. Write that down, take a picture. I think Woz is right, we probably split w/ the Giants, so don’t think we have a prayer vs the Rams and we barely do vs the Cowboys just bc their D is so awful.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, TKellion said:

We are one quarter through the tank for Lawrence season.Why else would our so called superstar OC call such crappy games in the first half?

The game plan we had vs the Ravens is the correct game plan to have vs that style of Defense. It wasn’t that different then what the Chiefs did vs the Ravens Monday night only they have Patrick Mahomes and he gets to throw to Kelce, Watkins and Robinson besides his #1 target in Tyreke Hill. We were missing our 2nd best WR Steven Sims who isn’t even close to the same level as Watkins.

I guarantee you that the Steelers will have a similar game plan to what we had and the Chiefs had vs the Ravens D. A lot of short passing, a lot of screens. Get the ball in their playmakers hands quickly and have them then run for 5 to 10 yards after the catch and hope they break one in the way that Gibson & Terry did a few times.

Edited by turtle28

The main thing I'm concerned about is Haskins. I understand this is a developmental year for him, but you have to give the kid something to develop with. He's surrounded by practice-squad talent. How is he gonna learn what it takes to be an NFL QB if he still hasn't experienced an NFL offense?

McLaurin is a stud, Gibson looks good, Sims is okay.... that's about it. The lack of veterans has me worried about everyone's development. Is Dontrelle Inman the mentor in the WR room?

The NFC East is wide open, and I agree we should be making some moves. Sign a guy like Delanie Walker who can help out in the TE room and help Haskins out. See if CIN would let AJ Green go for a late round pick. Moves like this couldn't possibly hurt

8 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The main thing I'm concerned about is Haskins. I understand this is a developmental year for him, but you have to give the kid something to develop with. He's surrounded by practice-squad talent. How is he gonna learn what it takes to be an NFL QB if he still hasn't experienced an NFL offense?

McLaurin is a stud, Gibson looks good, Sims is okay.... that's about it. The lack of veterans has me worried about everyone's development. Is Dontrelle Inman the mentor in the WR room?

The NFC East is wide open, and I agree we should be making some moves. Sign a guy like Delanie Walker who can help out in the TE room and help Haskins out. See if CIN would let AJ Green go for a late round pick. Moves like this couldn't possibly hurt

If they cared at all about Haskins development we wouldn’t have entered the season with Geron Christian and Wes Martin as starters. Knowing Scherff’s injury history they wouldn’t have relied on camp fodder like Schweitzer to be his primary back up and Cody Latimer would not have been our big offensive free agent acquisition. The tank was on the moment Rivera took over. He’s going after Lawrence and you’re crazy if you think anything else. We’ve literally quit games with plenty of time left. Who the hell goes for it when it’s 4th and goal from the 20 yard line when a field goal in that situation pretty much accomplishes the same thing? We’re tanking. Rivera does not care or want Haskins. 

Pleasant Surprises

▪️ Cornerbacks: I think most of us expected the CB play to be really poor. And while they’ve had their moments, I think they’ve been a lot better than expected. Fuller and Darby have both played pretty well in full time duty, and both Moreau and Moreland have flashed some positive things as well. At this point I think the returns on my prayer that we not be forced to pay a CB big money or take them in the 1st are looking positive. 

▪️ Terry McLaurin after the catch: We all knew what we had in Scary Terry/F1 McLaurin after about 2 or 3 games. But he continues to grow, as this newfound tackle breaking and YAC ability adds yet another dimension to a repertoire that was already tremendous. He has the speed to beat you deep, the precision to carve you up, and now the toughness and elusiveness to turn 6 yards into 17. As I always say when it comes to Terry, please just don’t get hurt 🙏🏼

▪️ Antonio Gibson as a runner: I’ve been impressed by his ability to run the ball between the tackles. He has good size, of course, but there are plenty of 225 pound guys out there who couldn’t stick it up in there and keep their legs driving after being stopped. The speed is pretty much as advertised (maybe a little less actually), but the power has been a welcome development.

▪️ Morgan Moses: If I was the GM, I would already have had the papers printed up for his release after the season. He was on a serious downward trend. But his offseason weight loss appears to have made a difference so far, and he looks like the guy who was a very capable RT for several years. The constant nagging injuries are starting to creep in, though, so the outlook may not be great for this one moving forward.

▪️ Ron Rivera, the person: You can’t help but be impressed by the toughness and tenacity of the man. He must feel awful, but he’s still out there grinding and standing tall. His character and mental strength is impressive. 

As Expected

▪️ Non-McLaurin Passing Game Weapons: We knew they would be lackluster. They are. None has emerged as a second option, and frankly only Gibson looks like a possible 3rd option. This remains likely the worst group of weapons in the league, only McLaurin’s brilliance keeps them from solidly owning that mantle uncontested. 

▪️ Offensive Line: Already mentioned Moses as a pleasant surprise, and Schweitzer has played pretty well to my eye in taking over for Scherff. The left side is a mess, though, and overall the OL is hindering the offense. From what I can tell, they’ve basically abandoned anything involving deep drops and long-developing route concepts, presumably in large part to help protect guys like Christian and Martin who can’t be trusted to hold up in pass pro that long. 

▪️ Tress Way: Still awesome. 

▪️ Defensive Line: When fully healthy, this group was pretty impressive to behold. They’re still pretty good, even missing Young and Ioannidis. Sweat has stepped up since Young went down, and there would be some magic if both of those guys were firing on all cylinders. 

▪️ Ron Rivera, the GM: Maybe this wasn’t expected by everyone, but this is my list. It was obvious to me that it was a total waste of an offseason from a pro personnel standpoint, and that much has pretty much borne itself out already. Many of the guys they chose to sign have been complete wastes of money (S. Davis, Lucas, Latimer, Barber) and others have been lukewarm additions at best (Thomas, T. Davis, Schweitzer). There have been some positive contributions from guys like KPL and Darby, but other than Fuller, they added basically no future value. Particularly on offense, where they desperately needed to give Haskins some support.

Disappointments:

▪️ Dwayne Haskins: This has been, and will continue to be, talked to death, so I won’t belabor the point. And there are lots of reasons why we should have expected a slow start. But thus far, he’s been pretty dreadful for the most part. Very disappointing after closing his rookie year on such a heater.

▪️ Safeties: These guys have been bad. Collins is still a force at the LOS, but he also still struggles in coverage. And even his tackling has left something to be desired. I think we were all hoping that the light had gone on for Apke, but he’s been an unmitigated disaster to my eye. Safety play is hard to evaluate as a casual fan, so maybe he’s not been as bad as he’s looked on the regular broadcast, but it’s been a comedy of errors from what I’ve seen. Perhaps Kamren Curl will get a shot at the job, which would be a promising development.

▪️ Linebackers: Coming into camp, there were 3 promising young LBs on the roster. Then they all fell down. Foster couldn’t get healthy enough to even warrant a roster spot. Holcomb got beat out by Bostic and then got hurt. And SDH has gotten on the field, but he’s been very unimpressive. Bostic has been mediocre at best and KPL has played well, but his age and contract put a damper on any excitement there. 

▪️ Steven Sims: As noted in my “under the radar Redskins” post, I was a believer in Sims. The route running, change of direction, and speed were all enticing traits, and I bought into the late season surge. He’s shown flashes of playmaking ability, but it came mostly in garbage time against Arizona and then he was invisible against Cleveland before getting hurt. Two fumbles haven’t helped the cause. He hasn’t been terrible, but I’ve been disappointed.

▪️ Ron Rivera, the head coach. I have to say, except for the 2nd half of the Philly game, it’s been awful. TimeoutGate was really bad in consecutive weeks, the 4th and goal from the 13 was utter nonsense, some of the punt/FG choices have been bad, etc. Just as concerning, I think he’s handling Haskins terribly. It just defies all logic to be publicly threatening this guy’s job 3 games into the season. His whole approach to running the franchise has been mostly incoherent thus far. Absolutely bewildering and inexplicable performance by a coach expected to be a steadying and stabilizing force for a young team navigating troubled waters.

• Like 2

@e16bball Steve Sims got hurt in the Arizona game, he has a toe injury. One reason he didn’t look the same vs the Browns was bc of that injury and he missed the game vs the Ravens be of that injury. Agreed on his fumbles though they are inexcusable as well as McKissic’s.

With Steven Sims out , Wright & Cam Sims have been promoted. Wright has flashed some which gives me some hope at worst that he’s a future #4. Cam Sims still isn’t impressing me much, I’d like to see them move him to TE to salvage his career/roster spot as slot type TE after we put 20 pounds on him in the offseason but they probably won’t do it bc it actually makes sense. 

I genuinely think Rivera should step down as HC and finish his cancer treatment.  He is clearly tired. Sitting on the bench during TV timeouts and defensive holds shows exhaustion.

He will best this and be able to go full speed. But for now, just focus on beating cancer.

• Like 1

I’m changing my next quarter of the season to 0-4. I think the Rams blow us out and, I think that Kyle Allen not having played at all this year yet & no preseason to work with these WRs will lead to more mistakes & missed open WRs that we even saw with Haskins. Kyle Allen was horrible the second half of last season, way worse than Haskins, I don’t see how we improve over the next 4 games. 

At least Terry & Dwayne have a special connection, Kyle doesn’t even have that!