Texans fire Bill O'Brien head coach/GM; Romeo Crennel to be interim

49erurtaza

On 10/8/2020 at 6:40 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

If the team/offense isn't better under Crennel (LOL) then who do we start blaming next?

Why would it get better under Crennel lol

The point of an interim HC is that you dont expect it to get better you just need a transitional piece.

39 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed, but do we expect BOB to become an OC like Garrett did? Will he be any good at it?

@ET80

Highly doubtful. It's not like the Texans had a top 10 offense at any point in BoB's tenure. And, I don't think BoB is going to try to answer to anyone.

I seriously think he's heading to college.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Highly doubtful. It's not like the Texans had a top 10 offense at any point in BoB's tenure. And, I don't think BoB is going to try to answer to anyone.

Maybe he goes limping back to the Patriots like McDaniels did. Not that Bill wants him back, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Maybe he goes limping back to the Patriots like McDaniels did. Not that Bill wants him back, though.

I wouldn't put it past him to be on the Jaguars sideline this weekend as a "special consultant" to Doug Marrone. O'Brien and Marrone are friends...

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, thebestever6 said:

I get all that but the move felt so Chip Kelly last year with the Eagles like you're losing confidence in the guy as the head coach so let's give the guy power over everything so we can say he had no excuses. Just kinda feels childish and dumb.

Chip Kelly built the Eagles championship roster so...

On 10/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, ET80 said:

If Nebraska has another disappointing year you have to assume that they fire Scott Frost. That could potentially be a good fit for both sides, IMO. 

On 10/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, ET80 said:

It's still BoB - it's hamstrung by that Hopkins trade, which isn't really something you can correct schematically. Tim Kelly catches blame for not really updating the scheme now that BoB is gone.

It also puts us in the spot of questioning how good Deshaun Watson really is. I think the next 12 games will tell us if he was a product of DeAndre Hopkins or if he's worthy of being the 2nd highest paid player in league history...

Go back further - the Duane Brown trade hamstrung the Texans, and the signings after to cover it all up. Two 1sts and 2nd rounder for Tunsil, who costs twice as much and has about the same pressure give ups as Brown has over the course of the period since the trade. So...the same production, but twice the cost. In that time Brown was out and before Tunsil came, Watson also got annihilated, so it could have cost a whole lot more.

Out of that Brown trade they got a 2nd round and a 3rd round, and what did they turn into? 

So that's franchise LT given up for peanuts, and he's had to shell out double his costs and high picks to replace him......and for what?!

Then you've got all the stuff after, Hopkins etc. Just constantly trying to make up for his original terrible decisions. 

This isn't to say Tunsil isn't a good player, he is, but the stats with Brown are comparable. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 10/11/2020 at 1:18 AM, Joe_is_the_best said:

God no. There's a reason BB prefers young coordinators - he can train them and mould them.

An ego like BoB is about the polar opposite of that.

58 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Go back further - the Duane Brown trade hamstrung the Texans, and the signings after to cover it all up.

To be fair, Duane Brown wanted out of Houston due to Bob McNair - Bill O'Brien had very little to do with that decision.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To be fair, Duane Brown wanted out of Houston due to Bob McNair - Bill O'Brien had very little to do with that decision.

BOB was a decent head coach but was just a terrible GM and had no business making personnel decisions. Winning record in 5/6 seasons, division title in 4/6 seasons, and they won 10+ games each of the last two seasons. Houston really just crapped the bed with their approach in the 2019 offseason and missed a legit chance at a title window.

I also think he got a raw deal this year because they had a really tough 4 game stretch to open the season. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

BOB was a decent head coach but was just a terrible GM and had no business making personnel decisions. Winning record in 5/6 seasons, division title in 4/6 seasons, and they won 10+ games each of the last two seasons.

The W/L record and division titles were fool's gold - he feasted on a really bad division in the AFCS, and got some superhuman performances out of JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson and Deshaun Watson.

Pretty much at any given point, the Texans had a significant advantage in terms of talent when measured against the division. Going 5-1/6-0 against a division that usually had two teams picking in the top 10 every year meant there was little opposition to racking up wins.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The W/L record and division titles were fool's gold - he feasted on a really bad division in the AFCS, and got some superhuman performances out of JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson and Deshaun Watson.

Pretty much at any given point, the Texans had a significant advantage in terms of talent when measured against the division. Going 5-1/6-0 against a division that usually had two teams picking in the top 10 every year meant there was little opposition to racking up wins.

He wasn't a great coach but he certainly wasn't the worst coach in the world or a bad coach. He inherited a 2-14 team and won 9 games in each of his first 3 seasons with 8 different starting QB's during that span, all of whom won at least one game for them. I just don't think he was ever going to be the guy to get the Texans over the hump. He reminds me of Mark Jackson the former head coach of the Warriors who they fired after a playoff season so they could hire Kerr. 

He helped the young Warriors development and won 51 games in his third and final year as their coach. He wasn't a decent coach but that's it, just decent. He wasn't a coach that was going to elevate them to the next level. 

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He wasn't a great coach but he certainly wasn't the worst coach in the world or a bad coach. He inherited a 2-14 team and won 9 games in each of his first 3 seasons with 8 different starting QB's during that span, all of whom won at least one game for them.

That 2-14 team was mostly due to Matt Schaub turning into a pick six machine and the team just quit on Schaub and Gary Kubiak. You had a ton of talent on that team - Foster, Andre Johnson, Watt, Hopkins, Duane Brown, Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson - they just tuned out the QB and HC and lost. O'Brien inherited a significant amount of talent when he took over.

As far as those first two 9-7 seasons - look at what JJ Watt did those years, he was literally playing like a man among boys. You had arguably the best two year run of any defender in NFL history (37.5 sacks, 60 TFLs, an ungodly 101 QB hits in a two year span) you're going to win games on the merit of that alone - you don't need to be a good coach to say "Hey Watt, go out there and destroy everything..."

When you get in depth game-by-game, you'll see a guy who could never get an offense into the top 10 (despite being an "offensive guru") and couldn't scheme open anyone - it took DeAndre Hopkins making circus catches to get any sort of offense going. In addition, O'Brien was an absolute disaster with clock management, use of timeouts and challenges - I think he had the worst challenge success rate for about three years straight. It was REALLY bad.

I'll give him 2016, but that's about it. That year, the defense stepped up in a huge way with Watt out of the picture (which might be credited to assistant DC Mike Vrabel) and the offense wasn't completely horrible with Brock Osweiler starting at QB.

Outside of that, the Texans won in spite of O'Brien, pretty much every single season.

• Like 2