2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Najee Harris could very well be the BPA when it comes time for us to pick at 19. Move A Gibson to the slot. 
Why wouldn’t you want the best RB in the draft. 

The 19th pick is not ideal. At that slot take the BPA. 

See I’m not against it. And to one up this thought you don’t have to just make Gib just a slot. You can use a split backfield and run triple option with a mobile QB and spread them both out wide and just pound defenses all game. I know it’s not a need pick but I don’t think you draft for need you don’t have to fallow anyone else’s build strategy. You just have to find a way to maximize your roster. I think seeing us kill it with Miki’s six in the pass game there’s no reason that these two couldn’t get their carries and split JD’s catches together. And you could keep JD and keep slinging him passes as well. There isn’t anything wrong with having a stacked backfield and if he is the best player and you have a strong plan at QB I’m not against this because I’ve seen teams like Carolina make it work with Stewart and Williams and I think Gibson and Harris would be one of the more dynamic options of a two headed monster

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Najee Harris could very well be the BPA when it comes time for us to pick at 19. Move A Gibson to the slot. 
Why wouldn’t you want the best RB in the draft. 

The 19th pick is not ideal. At that slot take the BPA. 

I’ve spent some time thinking about this...and if they do fall in love with Najee Harris as a potential MVP-level RB (seems like a stretch, but if they did), I think the best approach is to trade Antonio Gibson. 

He’s just not a slot receiver. I really wanted him to be, but you watch him at Memphis and he’s pretty limited as a route runner. Fine for a RB, but definitely not good for an NFL WR. He’s kinda tight-hipped, which combined with his size and speed makes everything very round and loopy in his routes. His gift just isn’t the sort of lateral quickness and change of direction you associate with a good slot receiver, the magic with him is in what he can do while running in a generally straight line. The burst, the quick acceleration, the explosion, the power with which he runs. Just much more RB than WR.

So instead of keeping him, whether as a backup RB or a mediocre slot receiver, I think they should just trade him to a team that wants him as a RB. Tampa Bay clearly did, I’m sure many other teams saw his rookie year and were impressed as well. Maybe you could get your 3rd back for him at least.

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ve spent some time thinking about this...and if they do fall in love with Najee Harris as a potential MVP-level RB (seems like a stretch, but if they did), I think the best approach is to trade Antonio Gibson. 

He’s just not a slot receiver. I really wanted him to be, but you watch him at Memphis and he’s pretty limited as a route runner. Fine for a RB, but definitely not good for an NFL WR. He’s kinda tight-hipped, which combined with his size and speed makes everything very round and loopy in his routes. His gift just isn’t the sort of lateral quickness and change of direction you associate with a good slot receiver, the magic with him is in what he can do while running in a generally straight line. The burst, the quick acceleration, the explosion, the power with which he runs. Just much more RB than WR.

So instead of keeping him, whether as a backup RB or a mediocre slot receiver, I think they should just trade him to a team that wants him as a RB. Tampa Bay clearly did, I’m sure many other teams saw his rookie year and were impressed as well. Maybe you could get your 3rd back for him at least.

But why? He’s cheap. And we saw when he was down we had 0 there. There isn’t anything wrong with having two ultra talented RB’s. Yes that means you have to make a decision eventually but for now you can pound teams week in and week out let the defense feast and develop a development QB behind that type of run game. You get a mobile QB like Mond in the mid with these two and a WR in round 3 with Paris ford in round two man I love it. Our defense got even tougher in the back end with a guy who finds the ball and plays the run well and can line up slot. Then you get a back and a QB that could grow the way Dak and Russ did behind a running game. I love that because that’s more of what Rivera should be seeking for this team. Both can catch both can impact the passing game and both would be monsters running open field screens and our C and Brandon are both really well at pulls and getting out front of RB screens. And Mond is one of the best I’ve seen at drawing defenders on a backpedal to open up that screen that extra step to give them less chance of getting caught from behind during a cut. Idk I just I actually think having two bulls could be really dangerous for this offense. As much as we split JD and Gib we could have two big athletic bruisers with speed and hands I love it

• Like 1

I’m so pumped to see Kellen Mond this week at the seniorbowl!!! I love the players here this guy is the best dual threat I think he’s a much better passer then book and a better passer then book. It’s going to be a fun week I’m super pumped for Saturday the best week of football for this guy

9 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Still wouldn't take Najee at #19. I think it'd be smarter to draft O-Line if you want to improve our running game.

You can do both. I mean i think Stevenson or Williams will give you better value because you can get talent throughout the draft. But to knock Harris because his position is like saying he isn’t special because he plays that spot. This guy is a truely special player that will make a team very happy.

Like to me you find packages to get your best players reps. If you have Harris and AG you can be so creative they both catch they both have big size and can zone out can pound the gut and break out I just man the run game is a QB’s best friend. Having two monsters that can do it all on the cheap man you talk about allowing Terry do work and Thomas you get another pass catcher in this system with a Curtis Samuel skill set would be huge. You draft the best player period round one. Don’t not draft the best talent because someone else doesn’t value them!!! Take your gift and pound it down their throats and show them why they made the mistake

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You can do both. I mean i think Stevenson or Williams will give you better value because you can get talent throughout the draft. But to knock Harris because his position is like saying he isn’t special because he plays that spot. This guy is a truely special player that will make a team very happy.

I don't know. This draft seems kind of weak at IOL in the 2nd-3rd round range. And I just disagree with you on draft philosophy, I'm about positional value. I'd prefer to steer clear of the skill positions in the first round. We have an aging offensive line that no one seems to care about and a bunch of average linebackers that could be upgraded to make our defense elite.

I’m with Taylor made on this one, If you want to improve your running game... you improve your o-line. Doesn’t matter how talented your backs are if you can’t run block. I’d prefer a LT in the first that can help improve the run and passing game. 

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

I don't know. This draft seems kind of weak at IOL in the 2nd-3rd round range. And I just disagree with you on draft philosophy, I'm about positional value. I'd prefer to steer clear of the skill positions in the first round. We have an aging offensive line that no one seems to care about and a bunch of average linebackers that could be upgraded to make our defense elite.

So outside of Wyatt Davis that’s about the only interior guy and that is a slight reach. And it’s not like any LB has the athletic gifts along with disruption to say their worth pick 19. So you can trade back but round one I wouldn’t draft need. The class is slightly weaker for interior OL. Hopefully our 4th rounder Charles can stay healthy. And interior OL unless the prospect is a monster would I take in round one and in this class I don’t see that being a value selection. Now Tucker from USC would make sense but I think he is rated there. Harris is a top 10 talent. The Ravens needed a guard last year. They drafted Dobbins. They didn’t need Dobbins. But when their team got hot it was Dobbins balling out. I want the best player period because you use FA to supplement your needs. You can fill a hole in FA. In the first 2 rounds you go BPA. Round 3 take a chance and after just get the player that has all the traits you want at a position that needs coaching

4 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I’m with Taylor made on this one, If you want to improve your running game... you improve your o-line. Doesn’t matter how talented your backs are if you can’t run block. I’d prefer a LT in the first that can help improve the run and passing game. 

So the Titans OL got worse this year lost their top two talents and Henry went for 2stacks. Yes the line needs to be there but to act like just anyone can make game breaking plays are the same teams that constantly have gotten beaten up by the Marshawns AP’s and Henry’s LT’s and just other great backs.

43 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Still wouldn't take Najee at #19. I think it'd be smarter to draft O-Line if you want to improve our running game.

Yeah, I’d look to take an OT or Wyatt Davis if he’s there rather than taking Najee Harris.

Also a reminder again, Saahdiq Charles will be back and starting at LG most likely or possibly LT.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

But why? He’s cheap. And we saw when he was down we had 0 there. There isn’t anything wrong with having two ultra talented RB’s.

Because you basically have two choices. 

Option A is to limit Najee’s carries/touches, in order to get Gibson more involved — which makes it a waste of a top 20 pick. You just can’t take a time-share RB that high. In the last 10 drafts, there have been 7 RBs taken in the top 20. One of those was Christian McCaffrey, who is unique and not really a comp for Najee. The remaining 6 traditional RBs averaged over 255 carries in their rookie seasons. They came in and were immediately handed the reins and the full workload. That’s what you have to do if you’re going to take a RB that high. Taking Najee and not doing that is a waste of the investment you’ve made in him.

Which means Option B is to make Najee the workhorse he can and should be, and to just give Gibson the table scraps that NFL backup RBs get behind true bellcow starters — which would be a total waste of Gibson’s value. Looking at the backups of each of the RB1s who had over 200 carries this year, the most carries any of them got was Jamaal Williams with 119. And that’s with Aaron Jones only getting 201 carries, and on a GB team that doesn’t have a guy like McKissic getting a lot of snaps/touches either. Keeping Gibson, to give him 6-7 carries a game and be an insurance policy, instead of trading him for a very valuable late 2nd/3rd rounder is poor roster management. You can get a backup RB for much less and apply the surplus value elsewhere.

The idea of two backs sounds great, but it just never really works out like that. Cleveland is the only team that legitimately gave two guys major carries this year, and they’re a pretty unusual situation. They’ve poured tons of assets into their OL, which is extremely good — they can win games just by running the ball down people’s throats. If we had an OL that good, I might be down for big investments in two RBs. The other thing is that even they didn’t invest big in two RBs, as they basically got Hunt for peanuts after his disgraceful ending in KC.

• Like 1

If we didn’t have Antonio Gibson, it would be one thing. I think Najee is great, and if we were in extreme need of a RB1, I could get on board with taking him — positional value be damned. 

But the idea of taking a RB in the top 20 picks when we already have a guy who appears to be a budding young star...it just seems like bad asset management to me. 

Our staff may not agree with me though. Like many old guys, Hurney seems to love taking RBs high in the draft. He took McCaffrey in the top 10 and also once inexplicably used 1st rounders two years apart on Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. They had two glorious years of “Smash and Dash” before it all started to unravel and they found themselves in position to take Cam Newton and he found himself on the radio. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Because you basically have two choices. 

Option A is to limit Najee’s carries/touches, in order to get Gibson more involved — which makes it a waste of a top 20 pick. You just can’t take a time-share RB that high. In the last 10 drafts, there have been 7 RBs taken in the top 20. One of those was Christian McCaffrey, who is unique and not really a comp for Najee. The remaining 6 traditional RBs averaged over 255 carries in their rookie seasons. They came in and were immediately handed the reins and the full workload. That’s what you have to do if you’re going to take a RB that high. Taking Najee and not doing that is a waste of the investment you’ve made in him.

Which means Option B is to make Najee the workhorse he can and should be, and to just give Gibson the table scraps that NFL backup RBs get behind true bellcow starters — which would be a total waste of Gibson’s value. Looking at the backups of each of the RB1s who had over 200 carries this year, the most carries any of them got was Jamaal Williams with 119. And that’s with Aaron Jones only getting 201 carries, and on a GB team that doesn’t have a guy like McKissic getting a lot of snaps/touches either. Keeping Gibson, to give him 6-7 carries a game and be an insurance policy, instead of trading him for a very valuable late 2nd/3rd rounder is poor roster management. You can get a backup RB for much less and apply the surplus value elsewhere.

The idea of two backs sounds great, but it just never really works out like that. Cleveland is the only team that legitimately gave two guys major carries this year, and they’re a pretty unusual situation. They’ve poured tons of assets into their OL, which is extremely good — they can win games just by running the ball down people’s throats. If we had an OL that good, I might be down for big investments in two RBs. The other thing is that even they didn’t invest big in two RBs, as they basically got Hunt for peanuts after his disgraceful ending in KC.

Johnathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams did it in Carolina it’s been done before you can ride the hot hand you keep both fresh and having them both fresh in the playoffs gives you the advantage over the teams that burn their guy out. The Browns had a shot to beat the Chiefs they needed to keep pounding the ball they beat themselves. It can work and it has worked and it puts less on your QB. I know it’s not popular but these defense’s in the league set up to stop the pass really aren’t gonna like that type of backfield coming at them 30 plus a game