2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, TKellion said:

Sorry we would get better out of an undrafted free agent than we got from Allen.Heiniken maybe better than a 4th rounder,not certain.

It’s just not true. Kyle Allen has started to what amounts to 1 NFL season over his first 3 years and his stats are:

63%, 4200 yds, 27 TDs (4 rushing) & 17 ints

151 rushing yards & 4 TDs

* Allen last year in what amounts to 3 total games played:

69%, 610 yds, 5 TDs (1 rushing) & 1 int

50 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Heinicke. He's played about 5 quarters of exceptional football. 4 quarters in a playoff game against a Superbowl team . Not saying you're wrong but curious how you've come to this evaluation ?

I also say most times the grass isn’t greener. Sure we’d hope that a 4th round draft pick would come in an be better than Kyle Allen or Heinicke who’ve both been developing in this system for 2-3 years but, it’s unlikely a rookie would be as good as them next year and there’s a pretty good chance a mid round pick would bust where Allen & Heinicke have already proven they aren’t busts.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, TKellion said:

Sorry we would get better out of an undrafted free agent than we got from Allen.Heiniken maybe better than a 4th rounder,not certain.

We just got worse than Allen out of a first round QB. Allen wasn’t terrible, he’s back up level and that’s just fine as long as Rivera doesn’t convince himself otherwise. Heinecke is intriguing but the reality is they put themselves in this position by going after a crappy division. Now we have a bad draft choice and a first place schedule. If this team doesn’t get competent QB play soon Rivera is going to be staring a top 5 pick in the face going into his third season. That’s not good. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not a huge Mond fan, but I’m a much bigger Mond fan than Newman fan. Don’t see it with him on the film at all. 

With Mond, you see a lot of flashes of legit NFL stuff. It’s probably too inconsistent for me to feel good about him at the next level, but he is out there making a lot of plays that make you think the guy has a shot to be a star.

With Newman, I’ve honestly seen almost as much bad as good when I’ve watched him. He’s a good athlete, he has a good arm. He makes some nice throws, but he is incredibly scattershot with his throws. Especially over the middle of the field, it’s an adventure every time he lets it go. 

He’d be a 5th-6th round flier on the tools for me, that’s about the best I could do for him.

Rumor in the UGA parts is that Newman lost out to Mathis, who would have lost out to Daniels had he been ready to play.  Newman transferred before ever playing for us, and Mathis is in the portal after losing the starting gig in Week 1 and never getting it back.  

That being said.......I'm also a former Wake Forest follwer (long story) and I followed them with Newman.  I think I like him better than you, enough to spend a third rounder on him, especially after spending an entire fall/winter working with Quincy Avery.  However, the only reason I would go after a Newman or Mond is if Alex Smith is returning.  No way do I add Newman or Mond if we roll with the hot garbage currently available to us.  Smith will at least show that young QB how to prepare, how to watch film and most importantly, how to lead.  

• Like 2

Watched some D'Wayne Eskridge last night... he's got some bulk to him at his small size. Having trouble finding a player comp and then I thought of Steve Smith...  Idk if he can be a fraction of that good. The guy's game is speed. I didn't see him do too many jukes. I'm not sure if I'm buying him in the 2nd round or 3rd round but maybe a late round flier.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taylor made said:

Watched some D'Wayne Eskridge last night... he's got some bulk to him at his small size. Having trouble finding a player comp and then I thought of Steve Smith...  Idk if he can be a fraction of that good. The guy's game is speed. I didn't see him do too many jukes. I'm not sure if I'm buying him in the 2nd round or 3rd round but maybe a late round flier.

My take after watching what I could find on Youtube was the same. Limited set of routes, basically just too fast for the MAC guys trying to cover him. 

I only saw him on day 2 of the Senior Bowl practices, but he was roasting guys with burst out of his cuts. He does a real nice job of attacking leverage and using that to create separation based on the route he’s running. He was really impressive.

To me, he’s jumped into the mix with guys like the two Moores and St. Brown in the 2nd round as dangerous slot men I’d love to get. Personally, I’d pass on Samuel in FA and Toney in round 1 because I think we can get better value and similar production from one of those guys in round 2. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, lavar703 said:

We just got worse than Allen out of a first round QB. Allen wasn’t terrible, he’s back up level and that’s just fine as long as Rivera doesn’t convince himself otherwise. Heinecke is intriguing but the reality is they put themselves in this position by going after a crappy division. Now we have a bad draft choice and a first place schedule. If this team doesn’t get competent QB play soon Rivera is going to be staring a top 5 pick in the face going into his third season. That’s not good. 

Hence why I, you, @naptownskinsfan, @Woz and others argued that this wasn't the year to chase the division. 

Now, we have people salivating over Lance and he will be long gone (*)

(*) or require a ton of draft capital to move up to get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hence why I, you, @naptownskinsfan, @Woz and others argued that this wasn't the year to chase the division. 

I still think it was worth it. We have 50 sum players that have "Playoff" experience.. Hard to measure that !

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Maybe you have to look at it as a blessing in disguise because could you imagine the years wasted if we had a draft pick that allowed us to draft super project Lance in the first round?  I can't believe people want to draft him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean I completely get not wanting to win. I also wouldn’t have if I was Ron but I got with it because I accepted the fact he was gonna go for it. But I wanted Lance equally as much then as I do now before it came out that he’s smart like the reports and the things his game showed. But trust me winning and the players buying in can’t hurt especially if they make the right choice at QB or continue to build throughout. But I don’t think they do. Trust me y’all were right but I thought we’d have Kyle so I wasn’t sweating draft position. Now I’m terribly concerned. But that concern would be there even if we were picking 4. 
I will say we did get to see players develop and even get better which makes you hopeful this staff can keep doing the right things and hopefully get lucky at that position but judging by reports of the haul we were willing to offer for Stafford I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded 5 1’s and Terry and Chase for Watson at this point. They just can’t get resist. But I think luckily the Rams had Goff and hopefully with alittle luck the jets or dolphins can outbid us for Watson. No that doesn’t mean they won’t mess up with whatever they decide after that but atleast they can’t hamper the next staff when that move fails lol

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Maybe you have to look at it as a blessing in disguise because could you imagine the years wasted if we had a draft pick that allowed us to draft super project Lance in the first round?  I can't believe people want to draft him.  

Same crap that was said about Josh Allen. Same kinda prospect. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Same crap that was said about Josh Allen. Same kinda prospect. 

Lance is a stud prospect. Could absolutely bust just like any other but he’d shine in this offense and take it to a whole different level once e grasps the NFL speed and playing in rythm and the tighter windows. His legs are dynamic as welll

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I still think it was worth it. We have 50 sum players that have "Playoff" experience.. Hard to measure that !

How does Losing a playoff game at home equal playoff experience for players? If they went on a playoff run and won multiple games that would be some experience but I don’t equate just getting to the playoffs and losing your wild card game as gaining any real experience. It sure didn’t help the players in 2013 or 2016 from their playoff appearances they had in 2012 and 2015.

Also, some of those 50 players won’t even be with this franchise next year not to mention past a few years meanwhile the QB we could’ve drafted without trading up could’ve led us to multiple playoff appearances for the next 15 plus year and maybe a Super Bowl.

I’d rather have the latter playoff experience if I’m those 50 players in the coming decade plus than the former playoff experience where we’re one and done if we even make the playoffs again.

Edited by turtle28