2021 NFL Draft Thread

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think he’s viewed as a mid round pick like Mond, but he could help himself a lot this week at the Senior Bowl. I really wish he had played last year.

If he has a good senior bowl experience he could move up a lot.  I like him.

9 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on Jamie Newman? I’ve heard about Kellen Mond in the later rounds, but nothing on Newman. He has some pretty good advanced statistics and his highlights look good (granted everyone has good highlights).

I’m not a huge Mond fan, but I’m a much bigger Mond fan than Newman fan. Don’t see it with him on the film at all. 

With Mond, you see a lot of flashes of legit NFL stuff. It’s probably too inconsistent for me to feel good about him at the next level, but he is out there making a lot of plays that make you think the guy has a shot to be a star.

With Newman, I’ve honestly seen almost as much bad as good when I’ve watched him. He’s a good athlete, he has a good arm. He makes some nice throws, but he is incredibly scattershot with his throws. Especially over the middle of the field, it’s an adventure every time he lets it go. 

He’d be a 5th-6th round flier on the tools for me, that’s about the best I could do for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not a huge Mond fan, but I’m a much bigger Mond fan than Newman fan. Don’t see it with him on the film at all. 

With Mond, you see a lot of flashes of legit NFL stuff. It’s probably too inconsistent for me to feel good about him at the next level, but he is out there making a lot of plays that make you think the guy has a shot to be a star.

With Newman, I’ve honestly seen almost as much bad as good when I’ve watched him. He’s a good athlete, he has a good arm. He makes some nice throws, but he is incredibly scattershot with his throws. Especially over the middle of the field, it’s an adventure every time he lets it go. 

He’d be a 5th-6th round flier on the tools for me, that’s about the best I could do for him.

I think I’m there with you on Newman. Mond I see what your saying about flashes but I think what I see in his lapses is him thinking trying to do what the system is asking of him and I think that’s the growth he’s shown for me through 3 years. Trust me I know I’mdef jumping out there with Mond but those flashes are pretty elite by the arm angles body angles in which I’ve seen him escaping and making accurate throws. I really hope for all these guys they show out Saturday but I guess I’m really pulling for Mond. I’m actually pulling for Jones too because while I don’t think I’d like being the team picking him round one due to the fact mobility really opens up the dynamic of this offense I think I’m more high on Jones then most. But yeah they say Newman is really controlling things and hopefully for him he builds on these practices he has every tool

I just don’t have any interest in wasting a mid-round pick on a QB. It could be something useful like Holcomb or Ioannidis. Mid round QBs almost never amount to much and we have two guys on our roster, undrafted I should say, who basically give us that already. If we can’t score one of the top 4 or we don’t make a big trade then I’d rather just go after Darnold or Tua if the Dolphins end up with Watson. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t have any interest in wasting a mid-round pick on a QB. It could be something useful like Holcomb or Ioannidis. Mid round QBs almost never amount to much and we have two guys on our roster, undrafted I should say, who basically give us that already. If we can’t score one of the top 4 or we don’t make a big trade then I’d rather just go after Darnold or Tua if the Dolphins end up with Watson. 

Agreed and I’d also add that drafting a mid round QB is likely going to lead the same type of QBs we already have, Kyle Allen & Taylor Heinicke and they may not be a better prospect than Steven Montez who we’ve been developing for a year. 

I just don’t see the point in drafting a mid or late round QB or even an average vet bc we have 3 QBs at that level on our team right now if Alex doesn’t return or if we don’t sign or trade for one of the bigger names.

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Or Kirk.

tenor.gif

Nick Foles, Russell Wilson. It’s entirely possible that a mid round QB works out to be a good starter but it’s about as rare as finding the next Tom Brady or Mark Rypien in round 6, Trent Green after that or Kurt Warner/Tony Romo as an udfa QB.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

That's why I don't mind using a 4th rounder. Very few are hits anyway so why not try for the golden ring ! Go QB with the pick .

Going way back our own Joey T and Sonny J were 4th rounders.

But we have Heinicke and Kyle Allen (if re-signed & I can’t imagine Rivera won’t) which are probably better than what we’d get out of a 4th rounder -definitely in the near term.

I just don’t see the point in us drafting a mid round QB. It’s either take one in round 1 this year for me or pass on the position this year, see what happens w/ our QBs this year and then assess if we need to draft a QB in round 1 next year if we need up having a top 10 pick next year.

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

That's why I don't mind using a 4th rounder. Very few are hits anyway so why not try for the golden ring ! Go QB with the pick .

Going way back our own Joey T and Sonny J were 4th rounders.

Didn’t know that, so that’s what like a dozen of guys in 60 years who’ve become good starters who were a mid round pick, late round pick or UDFA?

Not a very high rate

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

But we have Heinicke and Kyle Allen (if re-signed & I can’t imagine Rivera won’t) which are probably better than what we’d get out of a 4th rounder -definitely in the near term.

I just don’t see the point in us drafting a mid round QB. It’s either take one in round 1 this year for me or pass on the position this year, see what happens w/ our QBs this year and then assess if we need to draft a QB in round 1 next year if we need up having a top 10 pick next year.

Sorry we would get better out of an undrafted free agent than we got from Allen.Heiniken maybe better than a 4th rounder,not certain.

42 minutes ago, TKellion said:

Sorry we would get better out of an undrafted free agent than we got from Allen.Heiniken maybe better than a 4th rounder,not certain.

Heinicke. He's played about 5 quarters of exceptional football. 4 quarters in a playoff game against a Superbowl team . Not saying you're wrong but curious how you've come to this evaluation ?