2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Just because one trade up didn’t work doesn’t mean that others won’t. It depends on what the trade would be. The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes, the Bills traded up for Josh Allen and the Texans traded up for Watson. 

Those seem like good trade ups to me.

We all know a main reason the RG3 trade didn’t work out because he got hurt. If he hadn’t gotten hurt, this may have been different.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  It is one thing to trade up a couple of spots to get the player you want, entirely different to mortgage your entire future like with did with RG3.  

26 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  It is one thing to trade up a couple of spots to get the player you want, entirely different to mortgage your entire future like with did with RG3.  

Wait, we did one trade up that I can remember like that ever in team history.  Or maybe the trade up to get to Lavar? But it wasn't as big as RG3’s. If we do that again, how is that insanity?

If we did it every year that would be one thing but you’re talking about one trade and you’re obviously ignoring my counter points where trade ups worked for Mahomes, Watson and Josh Allen.

It also depends on what kind of compensation we have to give up to move up. We don’t know that. If it was an RG3 type trade to move up to say the Lions pick then I’d be a no on it, but we don’t know what it would take yet.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wait, we did one trade up that I can remember like that ever in team history.  Or maybe the trade up to get to Lavar? But it wasn't as big as RG3’s. If we do that again, how is that insanity?

If we did it every year that would be one thing but you’re talking about one trade and you’re obviously ignoring my counter points where trade ups worked for Mahomes, Watson and Josh Allen.

It also depends on what kind of compensation we have to give up to move up. We don’t know that. If it was an RG3 type trade to move up to say the Lions pick then I’d be a no on it, but we don’t know what it would take yet.

We never traded up to get Lavar. We already had the second pick. We traded 12 and 24 I think it was to San Fran for the 3rd pick to take Samuels. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We never traded up to get Lavar. We already had the second pick. We traded 12 and 24 I think it was to San Fran for the 3rd pick to take Samuels. 

Ahh ok, I mixed up which guy we traded up for. It was trading two picks to San Fran to move up, just couldn’t remember which guy we traded up for.

The Lavar Arrington pick we got as a result of the Ricky Williams trade down from 99 which netted us Champ Bailey & then Lavar in 2000 on top of a bunch of other picks. 

“Round one

1. ^ No 2: New Orleans → Washington (PD).New Orleans traded its first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh-round selections (12th, 71st, 107th, 144th, 179th and 218th) in 1999 and first- and third-round selections (2nd and 64th) in this draft to Washington in exchange for Washington's first-round selection (5th) in 1999.[source 1]

2. ^ No. 3: San Francisco → Washington (PD). San Francisco traded its first-round selection (3rd) to Washington for their two first-round selections and fourth- and fifth-round selections (12th, 24th, 119th and 154th).[source 2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TKellion said:

In retrospect we should have taken Urlacher and Samuels

That’s the biggest hindsight post I’ve ever seen. Lavar was an all world OLB until he hurt his knee & then Greg Williams came along. Lavar was the top prospect in the 2000 draft. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That’s the biggest hindsight post I’ve ever seen. Lavar was an all world OLB until he hurt his knee & then Greg Williams came along. Lavar was the top prospect in the 2000 draft. 

Yeah, it was a shocker he didn't go #1. 

But sure, in retrospect, we should have taken Urlacher. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, it was a shocker he didn't go #1. 

But sure, in retrospect, we should have taken Urlacher. 

Sure if I could see into the future that Lavar was going to hurt his knee & Greg Williams was going to refuse to use him in the way that Schotenheimer & Marvin Lewis did which put Lavar on a projection to be an All-Pro player.

Watched a lot of Alijah Vera-Tucker from USC today. 

My main takeaway is that he’s going to be an elite pass-protecting OG. He really held his own at LT in an extremely pass-heavy offense this past season, and he was an impenetrable wall at guard the previous year. He’s a good knee-bender, he has strong hands and he keeps guys at bay extremely well. I think he’s going to be exceptional in that aspect. 

He’s also not what you would consider a road-grader in the run game, which is a little bit concerning out of a top OG prospect. Much more of a positional run-blocker, which is fine, and I don’t think our offense requires a bulldozer at the guard spots — but if you’re taking a guard in the top 20 picks, you’d kinda like to see him be a little more powerful and able to just drive guys at times. He moves pretty well, although he looks to be better at getting downfield or on counter pulls than at kicking out and making blocks on the perimeter. He has a tendency to miss his target when he’s in motion, so that’s worth keeping an eye on.

For me, I think he’s gonna be the top OG prospect on my board. At least for our system. But I don’t know that I love him enough to pull the trigger at 19. I think he’s going to be a very solid, very good starter for a long time, so if we get stuck there and don’t like the options, he’d be a safe choice. Just a pretty unexciting one. Would probably rather look at guard in the 3rd. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

My main takeaway is that he’s going to be an elite pass-protecting OG. He really held his own at LT in an extremely pass-heavy offense this past season, and he was an impenetrable wall at guard the previous year. He’s a good knee-bender, he has strong hands and he keeps guys at bay extremely well. I think he’s going to be exceptional in that aspect. 

He’s also not what you would consider a road-grader in the run game, which is a little bit concerning out of a top OG prospect. Much more of a positional run-blocker, which is fine, and I don’t think our offense requires a bulldozer at the guard spots — but if you’re taking a guard in the top 20 picks, you’d kinda like to see him be a little more powerful and able to just drive guys at times. He moves pretty well, although he looks to be better at getting downfield or on counter pulls than at kicking out and making blocks on the perimeter. He has a tendency to miss his target when he’s in motion, so that’s worth keeping an eye on.

For me, I think he’s gonna be the top OG prospect on my board. At least for our system. But I don’t know that I love him enough to pull the trigger at 19. I think he’s going to be a very solid, very good starter for a long time, so if we get stuck there and don’t like the options, he’d be a safe choice. Just a pretty unexciting one. Would probably rather look at guard in the 3rd. 

He’s going to be a really good player in the league. I like a lot of the USC guys

29 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s going to be a really good player in the league. I like a lot of the USC guys

They still have a good pipeline there even though the overall program has been trash since Pete Carroll left before he was sanctioned for recruiting violations.

23 hours ago, e16bball said:

Please, for the love of all things holy, no more first round guards.