2021 NFL Draft Thread

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Athletic posted their staff mock draft today. It’s a format I like (each team reporter making the pick for their respective team) because each pick is only about the team making the best pick for them. When you have one individual putting together a mock, I think it inevitably ends up becoming a little bit more about making the the whole mock fit together — some degree of working backward, like “I love Parsons to NYG and I think that happens, so I guess I’ll have DEN pass on him and take Farley instead.” The “staff” mock is a closer re-creation of the actual process where every team only cares about itself. 

Anyway, some of the highlights:

▪️ Three QBs and two WRs in the top 5

▪️ Eagles go Sewell at 6, Cowboys go Surtain at 10, Giants go Pitts at 11

▪️ Of other WFT need position targets, Waddle goes to DET at 7, Lance goes to CAR at 8, Slater goes to SF at 12, Vera-Tucker goes to LAC at 13, Parsons goes to NE at 15, Horn (if CB is a need) goes to ARI at 16

▪️ For my board, anyway, that leaves us on the clock at 19 choosing between Darrisaw, Owusu-Koromoah, Bateman, Toney, and Mac Jones. I probably would have gone Darrisaw there.

▪️ Ben Standig (our rep) went with Owusu-Koromoah, citing his speed and versatility, as well as the major need.

▪️ Jones went 20 to CHI and Darrisaw went 21 to IND. After that, it was a lot of DL and OT picks, with a couple CBs and Zaven Collins (28 to NO) sprinkled in. No WRs taken after our pick, meaning Toney and Bateman both fell to the top of Round 2.

Very interesting. Good to think we still have several really choices at 19 ! I'd be happy with Standig's pick ! I haven't checked out Bateman. Not sold on Toney ( lack of speed ) I'd be good with Darrisaw or Jones. I keep saying-have this feeling Jones is our guy.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The Athletic posted their staff mock draft today. It’s a format I like (each team reporter making the pick for their respective team) because each pick is only about the team making the best pick for them. When you have one individual putting together a mock, I think it inevitably ends up becoming a little bit more about making the the whole mock fit together — some degree of working backward, like “I love Parsons to NYG and I think that happens, so I guess I’ll have DEN pass on him and take Farley instead.” The “staff” mock is a closer re-creation of the actual process where every team only cares about itself. 

Anyway, some of the highlights:

▪️ Three QBs and two WRs in the top 5

▪️ Eagles go Sewell at 6, Cowboys go Surtain at 10, Giants go Pitts at 11

▪️ Of other WFT need position targets, Waddle goes to DET at 7, Lance goes to CAR at 8, Slater goes to SF at 12, Vera-Tucker goes to LAC at 13, Parsons goes to NE at 15, Horn (if CB is a need) goes to ARI at 16

▪️ For my board, anyway, that leaves us on the clock at 19 choosing between Darrisaw, Owusu-Koromoah, Bateman, Toney, and Mac Jones. I probably would have gone Darrisaw there.

▪️ Ben Standig (our rep) went with Owusu-Koromoah, citing his speed and versatility, as well as the major need.

▪️ Jones went 20 to CHI and Darrisaw went 21 to IND. After that, it was a lot of DL and OT picks, with a couple CBs and Zaven Collins (28 to NO) sprinkled in. No WRs taken after our pick, meaning Toney and Bateman both fell to the top of Round 2.

I definitely can dig JOK. I still feel that we have a greater need at MLB than OLB, but he’s a heck of a player. 

I would’ve taken Mac Jones or Bateman depending on what we do at QB in FA or through trade.

49 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I definitely can dig JOK. I still feel that we have a greater need at MLB than OLB, but he’s a heck of a player. 

I would’ve taken Mac Jones or Bateman depending on what we do at QB in FA or through trade.

Would be fine with me too. I’m not going to give the same deference to the current FO that I would have given to a draft run by Kyle Smith (because of what he, and they, have proved) — but I’m fully convinced that if Ron, JDR, and Marty want a LB in the 1st, it’s because he’s an excellent player in the making. Likewise, if they decide to pass on someone like JOK or Collins that I think looks like a good LB prospect, I’ll probably give them the benefit of the doubt on that call because they’ve proven to be quality evaluators of LB talent. 

I would take Darrisaw there, though. Mostly just as a value thing. I think there are various other ways to get quality WLB play aside from burning a 1st rounder on them — but I don’t really feel the same way about LT. So if I’m picking between two guys on similar levels, I’ve gotta give the edge to the LT, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

At this point I would hate to trade next years first because we’ll have Allen and Heinecke at QB facing a first place schedule. We’ll be picking in the top 5 lol

But Ron said that they could do what Alex did last year! 😂 

Kiper’s new mock had us going Darrisaw. He had JOK going to Miami at 18, so that’s two today that think those two will fall into our range. Would be very pleased with that. 

He had all 5 QBs gone by 9 — Lawrence at 1, Wilson at 2 (traded to ATL), Fields at 7 (traded to SF), Jones at 8, Lance at 9 (traded to NE). That would certainly simplify things for us. 

Of other guys we’d hope and dream of, he had Smith at 3, Pitts at 4(!), Sewell at 5, Chase at 6, Waddle at 11, Parsons at 12, and Slater at 13. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kiper’s new mock had us going Darrisaw. He had JOK going to Miami at 18, so that’s two today that think those two will fall into our range. Would be very pleased with that. 

He had all 5 QBs gone by 9 — Lawrence at 1, Wilson at 2 (traded to ATL), Fields at 7 (traded to SF), Jones at 8, Lance at 9 (traded to NE). That would certainly simplify things for us. 

Of other guys we’d hope and dream of, he had Smith at 3, Pitts at 4(!), Sewell at 5, Chase at 6, Waddle at 11, Parsons at 12, and Slater at 13. 

When Lance is there when we pick I’m going to laugh. Haven’t Mels mocks been like horrendously wrong for years? 

I'm hoping 1 of the big 3 WR's are there when we pick in Smith, Chase or Waddle.

Or TE Kyle Pitts.

I think Waddle has the best chance cause of his injury. But he could be the best of the bunch.

I would not mind Patrick Surtain jr. Either. 

There will be a big name on the board, when we pick.

#nototradingup

58 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Some mock drafts have us selecting him. 
Would you be happy with this 1st rd pick?

I really like Moehrig so wouldn't be upset by any means.

Would think I'd be disappointed though as seems it would be easier to take a flier on one of the free agent Safeties like Hooker or Kazee and pair them with a mid round flier as backup in a somewhat deep saftey class.

Feel like the Safetie Free agent and Draft class is  deeper then both the LT and Lber Classes in both spots

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Some mock drafts have us selecting him. 
Would you be happy with this 1st rd pick?

I wouldn’t be rioting in the streets, but...I would be curious as to what the plan is at safety. 

Drafting a safety that high means he’s going to play every down for you, because you can’t be taking a development safety in the top 20 — you have to see him as a plug and play starter. And I think he’s capable of that, but in order to make it work, they will need to find some effective way to resolve the Collins-Curl Conundrum that will still leave room for Moehrig to play and develop from day one. 

I honestly haven’t seen him play that much single-high when I’ve watched him, which is weird because most of the scouting reports around the interweb describe him with terms like “single-high” and “center fielder.” To me, they were playing a lot of split safety stuff with him and Ardarius Washington, which is why I think you see so many of his splash plays actually happening in the backfield (specifically blowing up those WR screens). 

He flashes the ability to do just about everything, though, so if they liked him enough to pull the trigger, I’d get on board. One thing I love is in the Oklahoma State game, he gets in a little shoving match with some guys after he knocks the QB out of bounds at the 1 yard line (initially ruled a TD but overturned after review). They’re yapping at him and he does a “keep talking” hand gesture as he walks away. Next play, he comes back and makes a highlight reel one-handed pick that helped seal the game for TCU. Reminded me of McLaurin roasting Trevon Diggs immediately after their little scuffle. Some guys are just dogs like that, and you want as many of those as you can get.

• Like 2

It'd be hard for me to believe that Moehrig would be the best player available at #19. Even if he crushed his off-season workout. That's getting a little Mike Mayock cute for me there. Maybe if we traded down in the late 20s, okay I can buy that. But at #19? Nah, I would be upset. Basically in a nightmare situation where the big 3 LBs and Darrisaw are gone, I'd still take Najee Harris over Moehrig

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:34 PM, lavar703 said:

When Lance is there when we pick I’m going to laugh. Haven’t Mels mocks been like horrendously wrong for years? 

I think so. McShay is better than him at this point I think. I’m also tired of Mel’s stick, like Berman & Dicky V, he’s gotten old. Like, does Mel talk/yell to his wife in that over enunciated tone? 😂 

Warner Bros Lol GIF by Joker Movie