2021 NFL Draft Thread

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What could’ve been...

Maybe someday we’ll have a young rookie QB with this much potential to build around but it doesn’t appear it’ll be this year once again.

Well we could get a qb anytime we want, we just need to be willing to trade up and go get one.  We could still try this year.  

Frankly though, these stats have no context and so they are hard to really trust.   A team could get blitzed 200 times with zero pressures.  These stats could be comparing one qb who got blitzed 200 times and another that got blitzed 20.  What about how open the WRs are that they are throwing to during said blitz?  There is no context.  

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, Cousins or Matt Ryan etc. A top 10 QB but probably not a top 5 QB unless Mac becomes so efficient where his efficiency is like on Brady or Brees’s level which is unlikely.

Agreed, but you are talking about the best case scenario that likely requires him to be surrounded by A+ talent that is tremendously better than the defensive talent.  The likely case is more like Geoff and the bad case is much further down the list.  

One stat you can never ever dispute is that 1st round qbs fail more than half the time.  If Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Jones all go top 5, you can bet at least 2 will be failures.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

What am I missing that makes Fields so much better than Jones? Like, I’ve seen them both play and I don’t see this massive difference in QB play. I don’t understand why Jones is getting trashed so much? 

I don’t think fields is better my list right there was only for one thing. And that is field’s best quality. Throwing a ball/ decision making with sure contact coming. I think jones is further ahead and had a quicker release then fields and processes the field quicker. Fields athletically isn’t even close but I think Jones is the better passer. But Fields especially in the playoffs really was throwing with NFL ball placement. He just looked more comfortable in the playoffs and that was with a injury. If you took Fields running away I’d have a higher grade on Jones.

Edited by ripsean21

43 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agreed, but you are talking about the best case scenario that likely requires him to be surrounded by A+ talent that is tremendously better than the defensive talent.  The likely case is more like Geoff and the bad case is much further down the list.  

One stat you can never ever dispute is that 1st round qbs fail more than half the time.  If Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Jones all go top 5, you can bet at least 2 will be failures.

But I don’t think anyone is winning SB’s without a loaded roster. Atleast I can’t think of the last time it happened. Maybe you have a roster hiding a weaker secondary with a high end front 7 or vice versa but to win in the playoffs and especially the SV you have to have something pretty good on that side or atleast a solid all around unit where someone steps up and gets hot. Mac Jones is already what Dwayne Haskins very briefly flashed a few moments. But Jones shows it game in and game out. There’s a reason that Russ and Mahomes have gone further the Watson and Lamar and all the other Athletic guys. I believe Josh Allen had what it takes to be mentioned with them is for whatever greatness their legs buy them they all can make the biggest throw at the moment it has to be made. Rogers can and does it he simply just didn’t this year but he can. 
but for everything those athletic guys offer they are constantly put at risk and can get hurt at any moment and it affects them. Allen hurt his non throwing shoulder this season and started to slump. It happens. So no Jones isn’t going to make the play that they will but that doesn’t take away the fact that he can dump it off and allow his RB make that play. If your a coach you’d prefer your McKissic going down as a pose to Lamar. There’s so many plus’s and minuses to both. Ultimately it’s about the scheme coaching staff developing that player. But it’s completely on the player. They have to develop because it will always in the biggest moment come back to their instinct or the work they’ve put into making the right decision as a QB. If their instinct says run they will run. But they have to progress past that and really refine their QB instincts because if they can’t process the QBing duties they can only go so far. Same with a no mobile QB. They will when it counts have to stand in a pocket with someone coming free in a big moment and make that throw. Most pocket guys have that protection instict. They will fall back take a sack throw away but ultimately they will have to make that play to get over the top. So again at some point the pocket guy will have to refine his instict and progress to stand in and make that throw. 

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

The obvious is that Jones is immobile and Fields is extremely mobile.  Everyone loves mobile qbs who can also win with their feet.  Jones is not a multidimensional qb so his upside will never be Mahomes/Watson like, it is Cousins.  

He ran a faster 40 than Mahomes. 

Edited by lavar703

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would imagine we are more there to see the other 14 than Fields. 

Scott Turner being there has me thinking Fields. 
Also LB’s Browning and Werner might be on our list to watch. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF