2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

With Keim mentioning OT as a position they intend to pursue, I’m intrigued by the results of Brady Christensen from the BYU pro day:

Height: 6'6″ (69th percentile)
Weight: 302 (13th)
Arm: 32 1/4 (4th)
Vertical: 34 (95th)
Broad: 124 (100th)
Bench: 30 reps (89th)
40-yard: 4.89 (96th)
Short shuttle: 4.46 (94th)
3-cone: 7.33 (95th)

Everything on that list screams future LT...except for one. I can’t find anyone who has played LT at a high level with arms that short. Joe Thomas was close (32.5”), but this kid is not Joe Thomas. Nor is almost anyone. What an athletic showing though, across the board.

His numbers, per PFF, this past season were also terrific. He and Darrisaw were the only OTs with pass and run blocking grades over 90. He stood alone as their top graded OL in the country. Some of that might be down to lesser competition, but that’s still awfully impressive. And the athletic ability suggests it can translate to playing against bigger, faster guys.

The nice thing is that maybe the height and arm length will scare off other teams and cause him to drop a bit. His age (already 23) could also be a concern for teams. I’d take this guy in the 2nd and not look back. If he can’t play LT, throw him in the mix with Saahdiq Charles and have two talented, athletic guys vying for spots at G and RT. 

Oh yes I remember seeing several BYU games last yr. Zach Wilson had a good OL in front of him. Pretty sure that's why he is a top QB in this yr draft.  They had 3/4 decent OL and I am pretty sure Christensen was one of them. I remember  one name Hog. However I remember BYU playing alot average teams and those 3 OL were just to much for the teams they were playing against.  But hey sometimes that doesn't matter they do have some potential though. Did any of them  play in this yr senior bowl. 

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are likely having to do better than the Niners deal because you are trading up from 19->4 or at worst 19->7

Niners only went 9 spots 12->3.  We might have to move 15.  

This is the problem.  Massive commitment.  Huge huge risk.

Probably a non issue because Atlanta will likely take a qb. 

This is going to be the biggest bust draft of all time.   There will likely be 4 qbs in the top 4 picks and be 5 qbs taken in the first 7 picks.  Has that ever happened?  You can bet that at least 3 will fail to meet draft expectations.

Oh I agree with that. Some are certainly going to fail but at some point you have to take the risk. You don’t win with retreads. It’s a road to nowhere as far as QBs are concerned and mid-round picks are basically a wasteland for QBs. 

Im not sure the price we’d pay would be as high but you could be correct. I just think it’s only going to get higher and rarely are there 5-6 viable first round options at QB. 

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Who is there to sit tight at 19 for? I mean, Darrisaw I’d be happy with but I don’t believe a talented LT is dropping that far. Ideally the team keeps getting better which either puts us back in this same situation next year or we end up even further down the draft board. I’m not even sure JOK or Zaven Collins will be there. 19 is just a bad spot for a team with our needs. So yes, I’d move up for a QB.

There’s a part of me that believes Mond might even end up in the back end of the first round. Some team will trade up to get him late first so they get his 5th year option. 

Lavar, we're looking at 4 possible QB's going top 10.

Lawrence, Wilson, Fields & Jones. Then possibly another in Trey Lance before we pick. That's 5 QB's picked of 19 where we sit.

Then you have OT Sewell, the big 3 WR's in Smith, Chase & Waddle.

The 2 CB's in Surtain II & the other dude I can't remember.

Then there's MLB Micah Parsons & TE Kyle Pitts.

That's 13 picks right there...somebody is gonna fall. The question is who & why.

We're probably going to land a top 10 talent if we sit at 19. Whether it's a QB who drops to us...

One of the 3 WR's slipping through the cracks, or even possibly 1 of the CB's.

There's no reason to trade up, when we don't need to.

However....

If Kyle Pitts or Sewell (top 5 picks imo) are sitting there at like 8,9 or 10…? Right before Giants, Eagles & Cowboys pick I might add.

And we can muster up a deal that won't set us back for 3 years? I'd be tempted to do it.

But I'm not trading up to 5 or 6 and giving away multiple 1st & 2nd Rd picks, when I know good players are gonna fall. Specially for QB, when there's 5 that are possible top 15 picks & could be there at 19, if we just have patience.

But guys like Sewell & Pitts? They won't be there for us at 19. So you have to jump up to get those guys.

But how many teams a head of us are selecting a QB in the 1st Rd?

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Lavar, we're looking at 4 possible QB's going top 10.

Lawrence, Wilson, Fields & Jones. Then possibly another in Trey Lance before we pick. That's 5 QB's picked of 19 where we sit.

Then you have OT Sewell, the big 3 WR's in Smith, Chase & Waddle.

The 2 CB's in Surtain II & the other dude I can't remember.

Then there's MLB Micah Parsons & TE Kyle Pitts.

That's 13 picks right there...somebody is gonna fall. The question is who & why.

We're probably going to land a top 10 talent if we sit at 19. Whether it's a QB who drops to us...

One of the 3 WR's slipping through the cracks, or even possibly 1 of the CB's.

There's no reason to trade up, when we don't need to.

However....

If Kyle Pitts or Sewell (top 5 picks imo) are sitting there at like 8,9 or 10…? Right before Giants, Eagles & Cowboys pick I might add.

And we can muster up a deal that won't set us back for 3 years? I'd be tempted to do it.

But I'm not trading up to 5 or 6 and giving away multiple 1st & 2nd Rd picks, when I know good players are gonna fall. Specially for QB, when there's 5 that are possible top 15 picks & could be there at 19, if we just have patience.

But guys like Sewell & Pitts? They won't be there for us at 19. So you have to jump up to get those guys.

But how many teams a head of us are selecting a QB in the 1st Rd?

Broncos pick 9th 2 years ago they picked 10th and moved back to 20 for 20 a 2nd and a future 3rd from the Steelers or pick Devin Bush

I'd gladly give up a 1st 2nd and future 3rd for Pitts,Chase,or Sewell

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Saw him do an interview, seems like a nice young man with a good head on his shoulders. They say he’s very cerebral and a very hard worker. 👍

Yeah man I’ve def exhausted every resource I have on him and can say he’s maybe the 12th player I’ve actually watched every game on. I watch a lot of SEC and ACC but this guy grew a ton man. I wasn’t high on him as a starter his first year he graded pretty low I had a ton of key focus points for him to improve and he did. I just really has grown and I’m not super high on any of his weapons they are more role player type guys. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah man I’ve def exhausted every resource I have on him and can say he’s maybe the 12th player I’ve actually watched every game on. I watch a lot of SEC and ACC but this guy grew a ton man. I wasn’t high on him as a starter his first year he graded pretty low I had a ton of key focus points for him to improve and he did. I just really has grown and I’m not super high on any of his weapons they are more role player type guys. 

You really root for a guy like this who is doing things the right way to try to be great!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Beast!!!! He and Cox are going to be studs. I like him more then Cox.

Joseph is a sticky CB. I’ve been on Kentucky hard since that staff started getting the Josh Allen’s and just the last few years are really starting to put some guys out that are going to make their Mark in the league. These two guys are amazing prospects. Their OT is a heck of a prospect as well

Edited by ripsean21

33 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You really root for a guy like this who is doing things the right way to try to be great!

He’s a guy I wouldn’t bet against that’s why I want to go BPA and hopefully bring this guy in. I mean Dallas didn’t know what they drafted in Dak. Seattle didn’t know what they had with Russ. But I do believe if we went Derrishaw in round one and you get this guy at any point after and let him grow I really think here on this team this guy is the best addition to the QB room we can make especially when you factor in the cost. The cost is low but we have a legit defense. He have better weapons outside of Marshawn Lynch then Seattle had outside.

I think he just fits into the parts. Let Fitz or Taylor start if he doesn’t beat them. But I tell you if he did I wouldn’t be surprised. He’s got everything you could want. A few things to clean up. But the drop on this guy compared to those top flight guys just like the the Russ class it’s not that far. The holes he has are fixable. And not he’s not the best at anything besides tight window willingness and placement.

But trust me if there’s a guy who’s tape in college over his time I’m okay being wrong for it’s this guy. there’s a reason Rhule didn’t put him back in for the end of the seniorbowl. Because I know he’s thinking if he can’t get his guy he would love to develop this guy. Hopefully we’re all over him. Lance coming into the year was my favorite. And I’d rather take Mond at pick 32 or after over picking Lance at any point before pick 15. One year starter you just can’t give up the type of assets with his needed development. I love Lance and actually this is probably the most gifted class of QB’s. The skill sets are so amazing and crazy. But I think Mond is the guy.

Could just be smoke to get him to drop, but apparently a lot floating about Fields right now.

1) Fans have him much higher on boards than scouts and teams do.

2) His work ethic is a big question - like Dwayne Haskins big. "last guy in first guy out"

3) One scout questioned how great of a QB does he even really want to be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Could just be smoke to get him to drop, but apparently a lot floating about Fields right now.

1) Fans have him much higher on boards than scouts and teams do.

2) His work ethic is a big question - like Dwayne Haskins big. "last guy in first guy out"

3) One scout questioned how great of a QB does he even really want to be. 

Saw Gil Brandt say on twitter that teams he talked to some have him as high as top 5 others have a 4th round grade on him.

I guess thing that gets me about the questioning is guy was a top 10 pick if big ten didn't play this year and he was a leader on getting college football played,if he doesn't want to but in the work why did he do that.Guess ego could be in play.

Edited by ovfd55

20 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Saw Gil Brandt say on twitter that teams he talked to some have him as high as top 5 others have a 4th round grade on him.

I guess thing that gets me about the questioning is guy was a top 10 pick if big ten didn't play this year and he was a leader on getting college football played,if he doesn't want to but in the work why did he do that.Guess ego could be in play.

Dan Snyder and Bruce put that out 🤣🤣🤣