2021 NFL Draft Thread

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s it! Lock up Landon Dickerson as the #1 overall pick for pulling off all these cart wheels in a row at 320 pounds.

He tore his ACL 4 moths ago too making it more impressive

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Reports are that Kyle Shanahan is trading up to get Mac Jones because he sees Mac as a Matt Ryan/Kirk Cousins/Jimmy G type who will be perfect for his offense but we’ll see. 

Was going to say this. I keep seeing references to Shanahan wanting an athletic QB, but has he ever coached one? Other than Steve Young, I don’t think his dad did either. Late 30s Elway wasn’t really an athlete anymore, and I guess Jake Plummer could move around a little but he wasn’t really that kind of player either. They both coached RGIII, but evidently that was against their will.

Mac Jones is the most “Shanahan style” QB out there, in my opinion. You named the guys Kyle has won with, and not a single one of them was an athlete. He also coached Matt Schaub in Houston and Brian Hoyer in Cleveland, neither one of whom would best a rolling stone in a 100m dash. 

I personally don’t believe SF has decided who they want yet. Which I consider to be terrible business — you trade up because you love a particular guy, not just because you want to get a guy (any guy) in general. But for me, I think it’s even money on any of the 3 at this point.

• Like 3

The  Kaepernick clone at the senior bowl. Like his mobility and is a threat with legs. Little concern about his consistency. My thinking is do we need to draft a QB in this yrs draft. We have 3 QB's in fold however Mond look like a QB that over time could develop into a starting QB.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4209 said:

The  Kaepernick clone at the senior bowl. Like his mobility and is a threat with legs. Little concern about his consistency. My thinking is do we need to draft a QB in this yrs draft. We have 3 QB's in fold however Mond look like a QB that over time could develop into a starting QB.   

We have 3 QBs. We don’t have three good QBs. Allen is what he is. Fitz is going to be 39 and Heinecke is a 28-year old unknown. I’d draft a QB with one of our thirds or I’d even consider Mond with our second. I think we have one of the top 5 worst QB situations in the league. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We have 3 QBs. We don’t have three good QBs. Allen is what he is. Fitz is going to be 39 and Heinecke is a 28-year old unknown. I’d draft a QB with one of our thirds or I’d even consider Mond with our second. I think we have one of the top 5 worst QB situations in the league. 

True but how can we have 4 QB on the roster. Maybe have on on the practice squad. But that may not work either with the clear waivers rule. So how would you do that. Unless you thinking about cutting Fitz, Heinecke or maybe Allen. Don't get me wrong I like Mond but he is not a starting QB, needs some seasoning.   

Not sure if anyone has said this, but even though Miami dropped to 6, don't be surprised if they move down further in case another QB-needy team needs to move up.

So don't be surprised on draft day if it happens. In fact, right now I'd put the odds as 70/30 they do.

Where's @Doc Draper when you need him?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Agreed, I think he’s more consistent and more accurate than Kap at this point in their developments but I’ve felt Kap is a good comp for him. 

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not sure if anyone has said this, but even though Miami dropped to 6, don't be surprised if they move down further in case another QB-needy team needs to move up.

So don't be surprised on draft day if it happens. In fact, right now I'd put the odds as 70/30 they do.

Where's @Doc Draper when you need him?

Could be us, just never know. Our front office and coaches have been scouting all these QBs.

48 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t know if we can say we have one of the 5 worst QB situations in the league. The fact that Allen & Heinicke are still developing/unknowns says to me that your statement could be 100% true but we just don’t know the answer to that right now.

And also, while I don’t think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the kind of QB this team needs given his age and the teams youth, he’s not an awful QB. If he had started every game the last two seasons in Miami he very likely would’ve thrown for over 3700 yards each season and over 25 TDs each season and our receiving corps is better than Miami’s as well as our RBs.

I definitely think we should consider drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds, I don’t think we should force the pick though. Short of trading up to get one of the top 4, I’d go BPA in a position we need which does include QB.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

True but how can we have 4 QB on the roster. Maybe have on on the practice squad. But that may not work either with the clear waivers rule. So how would you do that. Unless you thinking about cutting Fitz, Heinecke or maybe Allen. Don't get me wrong I like Mond but he is not a starting QB, needs some seasoning.   

To me it would make Kyle Allen expendable, with being tendered I don’t think any of his contract is guaranteed but I could be wrong, don’t quote me on that. But he could be cut for no hit. Also could be traded. And if he gets cut and clears waivers then he goes to our practice squad which isn’t a bad thing.

and your right, Kellen Mond isn’t a day one starter and does need seasoning, but the thing about him is that he’s got plenty of starts. 4 year starter and got to play. Every year you saw him improve. He’s got a good arm and great mobility. No he’s not a perfect prospect, but it’s hard to find ones that are. If he goes to a team that gives him a chance that could use a QB I would sit him year 1 but year 2 I think he could be ready. Which would put us in a situation where Heinicke and him show enough in preseason and practice that they duke it out for our 2022 starting spot

• Like 2