2021 NFL Draft Thread

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the primary difference between the two shows up pretty clearly in the workout numbers. JOK had very good numbers across the board in the drills that deal with explosiveness and change of direction: broad jump (87th percentile), vertical jump (75th percentile), 3-cone drill (93rd percentile), and short shuttle (85th). 

Su’a, on the other hand, struggled miserably in all those drills except the 3-cone drill (75th percentile). He was awful in the broad jump (31st percentile), short shuttle (19th percentile) and vertical jump (2nd percentile). Not a typo, that does say 2nd percentile. 

Su’a was a skilled, instinctive player, but he just lacked the physical ability to be an impact player on the second level (in addition, obviously, to the mental stability issues). JOK is a quick, twitchy, explosive player. I think it shows up pretty clearly on the film, and the pro day numbers back it up to a very significant degree. When he pulls the trigger, he explodes to the ball. It’s easily his best trait, and probably the most important physical ability for a front 7 defender. 

I don’t know that you need to go for a classic WLB as high as pick 19. There are other pretty solid OLB types with great athleticism that might be there later (two from OSU come to mind immediately). But Hurney drafted Jeremy Chinn last season, and I would think JOK compares pretty favorably to him as a LB who has the physical tools to cover, chase, and blitz depending on how you want to deploy him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

He can block for my blindsided every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s can I get an Amen from the congregation brothers! Lord Have Mercy! Sweet Baby Jesus!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t mind Trask but I don’t see him as anything more than a career back up. I think we have two of those on the roster already. I’d much rather have Mond but I don’t hate the idea of Trask. 

I think Trask has Big Ben potential. Same size, can move but isn’t what anyone would call athletic but a big, huge & strong presence in the pocket who’s tough to bring down.

Now, do I think he’ll live up to that potential? 

No, No I don’t.

I think he’s a starter in the league but more inconsistent than Ben, like a Nick Foles type.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He can block for my blindsided every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s can I get an Amen from the congregation brothers! Lord Have Mercy! Sweet Baby Jesus!

He’s a beast. My roommates a Michigan guy we both have been wondering where his love is. People have blown Slater up over Sewell which I understand if your knocking Sewells build because he is top heavy and there’s a slight history of those guys having injury histories as they get older in their legs as they age. But right now Sewell is a better player IMO. Back to Mayfield people are blowing up slater because how he handled Chase. Well the best film against Chase was Mayfield. Idk I just think this guy is a stud and I would absolutely love him here if Derrishaw isn’t the guy. Mayfield might not get many posts from me but he is a absolute stud and will be on the next level

• Like 3

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think Trask has Big Ben potential. Same size, can move but isn’t what anyone would call athletic but a big, huge & strong presence in the pocket who’s tough to bring down.

Now, do I think he’ll live up to that potential? 

No, No I don’t.

I think he’s a starter in the league but more inconsistent than Ben, like a Nick Foles type.

I disagree. I think he will be a quality starter.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Worth a watch...

This is why I won’t be shocked when Mac goes at third. Former QBs and people who really just study the position keep placing him ahead of Fields. Also, to @ripsean21credit this is another guy that has Mond above Fields and I believe Lance.

I really do like Trey Lance and Justin Fields but I think draft day is going to look totally different for QBs than what you’re seeing in mock drafts. NFL teams are doing exactly what guys like O’Sullivan and Simms are doing and that’s studying every ounce of film on these guys. At this point I wouldn’t be blown away if Fields was on the board at 19 and we picked someone else. 

• Like 1