2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Heinicke and our 1st. Do it. 

Our @aceinthehouse who art in heaven hallowed be thy name. 

Unfortunately we check none of the boxes to get this done.  

1. We don't have a high enough draft pick to put in the deal. 

2. We're in the NFC.

3. Apparently Rodgers wants to be on the West Coast cause he wants to do nonfootball tv stuff. 

4. If he hates the Packers front office wait till he gets a load of Dan Snyder.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s more than Rodgers doesn’t want to be in Green Bay anymore.

WOW now that's a QB. When it comes to QB several skills are paramount  and Aron has it. A QB’s that can dissect defenses, make quick reads and immediately get ball to the open WR. He must also  have an uncanny ability to EXTEND the play out of the pocket or inside the pocket. Like Tarkington, Starr Bress,  Mahomes Wilson they all can do this on a CONSISTENT basis. Now I know some will disagree but I saw this in TH during the Tampa game. He knew exactly were he was going with the ball. The problem is he has to be CONSISTENT. He already knows the offense. However we should keep an eye on this Rodgers situations, never know what may happen. But if we trade up for QB then Rodgers is just wishful thinking.

31 minutes ago, 4209 said:

WOW now that's a QB. When it comes to QB several skills are paramount  and Aron has it. A QB’s that can dissect defenses, make quick reads and immediately get ball to the open WR. He must also  have an uncanny ability to EXTEND the play out of the pocket or inside the pocket. Like Tarkington, Starr Bress,  Mahomes Wilson they all can do this on a CONSISTENT basis. Now I know some will disagree but I saw this in TH during the Tampa game. He knew exactly were he was going with the ball. The problem is he has to be CONSISTENT. He already knows the offense. However we should keep an eye on this Rodgers situations, never know what may happen. But if we trade up for QB then Rodgers is just wishful thinking.

I’m with Mknight and probably most on this. For all the reasons he listed we won’t even be considered in the race for Rodgers IMO.

I do agree with you that Heinicke flashed a lot that when he played last year. Kyle Allen flashed a little also last year when he played. 

I don’t really believe either will be our long term answer but of course the hope is there that they will be and I’d love nothing for more for them to be the answer at QB long term for us. 

Jeez! If either of them could just beat out Fitzpatrick and continue to flash potential like they did last year, I’d be all for it! I guess we’ll see what happens.

I definitely like that Rivera is going to have an open QB competition this year, he said last year looking back on it that was the biggest mistake he made was not having an open QB competition.

I think if there was a true QB competition last year Kyle Allen probably would’ve beaten out Haskins just based off of Kyle’s knowledge of the offense but maybe Haskins still would’ve gotten the nod. Rivera seemed to hint that if it had been an open competition that Haskins wouldn’t have been the starter week 1, but he didn’t openly say that.

Edited by turtle28

56 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Unfortunately we check none of the boxes to get this done.  

1. We don't have a high enough draft pick to put in the deal. 

2. We're in the NFC.

3. Apparently Rodgers wants to be on the West Coast cause he wants to do nonfootball tv stuff. 

4. If he hates the Packers front office wait till he gets a load of Dan Snyder.  

NFC north might be an issue, but they aren't going to cut off all the NFC.  

And remember all the disgruntled players pretty much still like snyder even our latest Alex Smith, Trent Williams, etc.

I am sure we could trade Chase Young instead of draft picks.

#3 is the only issue.  The good news from this issue is to recognize that every year there are always qbs available if you are willing to pay.

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

NFC north might be an issue, but they aren't going to cut off all the NFC.  

And remember all the disgruntled players pretty much still like snyder even our latest Alex Smith, Trent Williams, etc.

I am sure we could trade Chase Young instead of draft picks.

#3 is the only issue.  The good news from this issue is to recognize that every year there are always qbs available if you are willing to pay.

I bet they don’t trade Rodgers in the NFC. The Packers are almost a guarantee every year to get to the NFC Championship Game w/ Aaron Rodgers & if they traded him in the conference they likely wouldn’t get back to that until Aaron retired. I wouldn’t trade him in the conference if I was the GM.

I’d trade Chase Young in a heart beat to get one the leagues top franchise QBs, I wouldn’t even hesitate about that. We probably wouldn’t draft another DE of Chase’s caliber for a long time but we’d still have Montez, we could re-sign Kerrigan & then draft a DE to develop in the mid rounds.

Chase is one of my favorite draft picks and players ever but getting a QB like Aaron Rodgers or a few others around his caliber is more important to winning a Super Bowl than even a DE like Chase.

Basically, if you switched Chase Young & Aaron Rodgers for GB & Washington we’d be in the NFC Championship Game and I don’t even think the Packers would make the playoffs w/ Jordan Love or a veteran journeyman as their QB given that the Bears & Vikings were also in their division. 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No thanks.

I am with you.   However, then all year long I have to listen to so many of our fans complaining that we are ruining draft position by winning games or we don't have enough draft capital to trade to get a qb.  But we were in a position to draft a qb last year and opted not to.  Then we covet the capital that could equate to a qb.  Oh the irony...

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I bet they don’t trade Rodgers in the NFC. The Packers are almost a guarantee every year to get to the NFC Championship Game w/ Aaron Rodgers & if they traded him in the conference they likely wouldn’t get back to that until Aaron retired. I wouldn’t trade him in the conference if I was the GM.

I’d trade Chase Young in a heart beat to get one the leagues top franchise QBs, I wouldn’t even hesitate about that. We probably wouldn’t draft another DE of Chase’s caliber for a long time but we’d still have Montez, we could re-sign Kerrigan & then draft a DE to develop in the mid rounds.

Chase is one of my favorite draft picks and players ever but getting a QB like Aaron Rodgers or a few others around his caliber is more important to winning a Super Bowl than even a DE like Chase.

Basically, if you switched Chase Young & Aaron Rodgers for GB & Washington we’d be in the NFC Championship Game and I don’t even think the Packers would make the playoffs w/ Jordan Love or a veteran journeyman as their QB given that the Bears & Vikings were also in their division. 

I would think the packers would take the best offer which I expect will be ridiculous.  But otherwise I agree with you.  A franchise qb is worth more than a DE.   

40 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am with you.   However, then all year long I have to listen to so many of our fans complaining that we are ruining draft position by winning games or we don't have enough draft capital to trade to get a qb.  But we were in a position to draft a qb last year and opted not to.  Then we covet the capital that could equate to a qb.  Oh the irony...

Well it’s true that we did win too many games to have one of the top picks this past year so we can’t get one of the top QBs w/o trading up.

Also, this draft isn’t last years draft. Last year Chase Young was the best prospect or 2nd best prospect in the draft. It’s very rare that a DE of his caliber is rated as high as he was.

If we had been picking 2nd in this draft I’m sure we’d be taking on of the QBs, probably Wilson.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well it’s true that we did win too many games to have one of the top picks this past year so we can’t get one of the top QBs w/o trading up.

Also, this draft isn’t last years draft. Last year Chase Young was the best prospect or 2nd best prospect in the draft. It’s very rare that a DE of his caliber is rated as high as he was.

If we had been picking 2nd in this draft in sure we’d be taking on of the QBs, probably Wilson.

As you said, you would trade Young for a franchise qb.  So if Herbert and/or Tua end up being franchise qbs then Young wasn't the 2nd best prospect in the draft.  

Very common for a DE to be drafted high.  It seems to be the second most important position in football.  Bosa, Garrett, Clowney, etc.

I am glad we got Young and have no buyers remorse.  If we want a qb this year or next year or whenever, we just have to be willing to give up the required compensation.