2021 NFL Draft Thread

There’s definitely something instructive about that chart ranking, although the flaws in the methodology become a bit evident when you’re treating David Amerson and Trent Murphy as “hits” and Jamison Crowder and Chris Thompson as “misses.” 

Interestingly, we have a lot more total picks than I thought we would, compared to the rest of the league. However, I think the individual value of the picks we’ve had has been lower than average. So of those 68 picks, I’m counting 47 that were Day 3 picks (69%). Typically, Day 3 comprises somewhere in the ballpark of 60% of the total picks, so we’re obviously a good bit heavy there. To break it down even further, 25 of those 68 picks were in Rounds 6-7 (36.7%). Typically, those rounds comprise maybe 28-29% of the draft. Also quite heavy there, compared to the average team. 

By their methodology, we’ve hit on 1 of those 25 Round 6-7 picks, or 4%. That’s probably low, but not that low, compared to  the league average in those rounds. I think that’s probably where a lot of the downward skew is coming from. Adding a lot of extra picks with an extremely low hit rate is going to force down the overall hit rate — but that process also has brought in guys like Roullier, Curl, Moreland, etc. in recent years. And given the extremely low price for acquiring these picks, the inefficiency doesn’t matter quite as much. 

Still, never a good look to be last on a list like that. The 2nd round issues are really remarkable. 

• Like 2

@e16bball is hitting on some good points that my friend was also relaying - although e was a little more friendly about it - I don't see "your chart is cockamamie BS" anywhere in the post. 

It's not perfect, but hey, it still shows some problems we have. I think when you start crediting things that you alluded to (CT and Crowder) etc, you have to do the same for the league and they probably get the same or similar bumps. 

As far as Day 3 vs total, maybe I can figure out the rest of the league, but it might not be TOO different minus a few obvious teams. 

My friend also kept hammering how "bad" the top teams were ... but 4 of the top 5 have been to the conference championship in that span. 

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/Grant-and-Danny-p1315576/?topicid=162669500

Grant and Danny Show, Washington D. C

Clk here

Audacy NFL Insider Brian Baldinger joins the program to discuss all things in the NFL Draft. Which player makes sense for the WFT in round 1? Which player does he think will land with the WFT? All of those are asked in this segment. Baldi had some strong sentiments for the WFT, having been on board with this defense and Ron Rivera. We narrow down what he says about the future of this football team. See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.

Duration:00:44:44

1 minute ago, 4209 said:

Who would take at 19 if it came down to JOK or Davis. 

I would take JOK, if that were my options.

But I'm hoping for a blue chipper top 10 player to land in our lap.

(That would be a player like Pitts, Sewell, Ja'marr Chase or Devanta Smith or Fields)

Any one of these guys would probably be top 5 picks, if it weren't for a cluttered QB room.

Getting them at 6-9 would be a steal, imo. 

And definitely worth trading up for. If we have have too.

2 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Who would take at 19 if it came down to JOK or Davis. 

I would take Davis, but I think I’m (very much) in the minority here. 

I won’t be the least bit upset with JOK if they take him. He’s a lot of fun to watch, an extremely impactful player, and it’s just remarkable to watch him in coverage. He’s one of the best coverage LBs I’ve ever watched. Maybe the best. 

But if you could kick Collins down to WLB and get a Mark Barron type player out of him — essentially getting from him what you’re looking for from JOK — I think you could field probably the most athletic LB corps in the league if you then took Davis to play MLB. That trio of Collins, Davis, and Holcomb would be small but they would be crazy fast, quick, and explosive. Talk about upgrading team speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941607-report-wft-has-done-legwork-on-potential-trade-up-qb-not-seen-as-a-target

Report: WFT 'Has Done Legwork' on Potential Trade Up; QB Not Seen as a Target

I so hope it's for Kyle Pitts or Sewell.

Not just because I will have nailed my prediction...lol...🤓

But because it would be the right move & arguably nailing the draft again by getting the best "player" in the draft. 

Sewell is more of a need pick for us, but many scouts have said he is HOFer in the making.

Pitts is off the charts in everything. Can you imagine having Kyle Pitts & Logan Thomas at TE?

Kyle Pitts can play WR as well.

Can you imagine the weapons at Scott Turner's disposal?

How do you stop Scary Terry, Curtis Samuels, Kyle Pitts, Logan Thomas & Antonio Gibson on the field at the same time?

You don't..🤓

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would take Davis, but I think I’m (very much) in the minority here. 

I won’t be the least bit upset with JOK if they take him. He’s a lot of fun to watch, an extremely impactful player, and it’s just remarkable to watch him in coverage. He’s one of the best coverage LBs I’ve ever watched. Maybe the best. 

But if you could kick Collins down to WLB and get a Mark Barron type player out of him — essentially getting from him what you’re looking for from JOK — I think you could field probably the most athletic LB corps in the league if you then took Davis to play MLB. That trio of Collins, Davis, and Holcomb would be small but they would be crazy fast, quick, and explosive. Talk about upgrading team speed.

I’m with you.  These tweener types like JOK bust a lot.  Would rather have Davis size. 

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941607-report-wft-has-done-legwork-on-potential-trade-up-qb-not-seen-as-a-target

Report: WFT 'Has Done Legwork' on Potential Trade Up; QB Not Seen as a Target

Doesnt make sense to me.  The team talked after free agency about how they used it to shore up the teams needs and open up the possibilities for the draft.  To me that means it’s a team that doesn’t see itself having a glaring need and can let the draft come to them.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Doesnt make sense to me.  The team talked after free agency about how they used it to shore up the teams needs and open up the possibilities for the draft.  To me that means it’s a team that doesn’t see itself having a glaring need and can let the draft come to them.

What if the player that's targeted is Pitts or Sewell/Slater? We know none or them will make it to 19. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

What if the player that's targeted is Pitts or Sewell/Slater? We know none or them will make it to 19. 

Pitts is going 4 or 5.  Why would you give up multiple first round picks for a TE?

I’m not convinced Sewell or Slater are significantly better than a LT we could select at 19.  

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't remember the quote you're referring to, but reading what you wrote, they could mean they don't need the draft as much since needs are shored up and they can use the ammo to move up for a premier player. Just sayin. 

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Pitts is going 4 or 5.  Why would you give up multiple first round picks for a TE?

I’m not convinced Sewell or Slater are significantly better than a LT we could select at 19.  

I don't even think Slater is destined for LT.