Falcons fire HC Dan Quinn, GM Dimitroff; Raheem Morris to be interim HC

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow. It’s almost like hiring the hot coordinator isn’t the slam dunk hire it always appears to be.

And Dimitroff got the axe as well. It’s almost like taking someone who came from New Englnsd doesn’t work out as spectacularly as it appears either. 

If only there was a precedent for either of those things. 

i mean, it also works too. Belichick was a hot DC hire after all. Tomlin was. Shanahan was. Basically every HC ever actually.

What's the alternative? College coaches? Yeah cause Bill O'Brien worked out well... lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow. It’s almost like hiring the hot coordinator isn’t the slam dunk hire it always appears to be.

And Dimitroff got the axe as well. It’s almost like taking someone who came from New Englnsd doesn’t work as either. 

If only there was a precedent for either of those things. 

despite the last couple years, quinn was pretty succeful at times and TD was very successful overall. this kinda misses the mark...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Congratulations, welcome to freedom!

A bit surprised on Dimitroff - I figured he was good? Maybe not.

Hes good and he'll get another shot somewhere id guess. But at the end of the day, the part that actually maters (wins) hasnt been there enough for over two years, considering the talent on the team.

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i mean, it also works too. Belichick was a hot DC hire after all. Tomlin was. Shanahan was. Basically every HC ever actually.

What's the alternative? College coaches? Yeah cause Bill O'Brien worked out well... lol

No dude. Your supposed to pick them off the magical head coaching tree. Everyone knows that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's easy to work around - cut Cooks, cut David Johnson, cut McKinney, restructure Watt.

Heck, Johnson and Cooks alone frees up nearly $20mm...

I think Houston has a big upper hand if they want him, so Im not arguing, but its the same with the falcons. They can easily get under the cap. Now, they arent signing any big or even mid FA's, but quite frankly the talent is there to not have to do that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Mike Tomlin has been a DC for one year,

Belichick was a HC, in Cleveland, and prior to that a very long tenured coordinator with 2 rings who was widely regarded as the best, or one of the 2 or 3 best DCs in the league for a long time. 

Mike Shanahan had been a long tenured QBs Coach, OC and (failed, like BB, in less than ideal circumstances) HC before getting the HC job in Denver, where he was on a staff that went to 3 Super Bowls in the 1980s and thus had an established relationship with the owner and HOF QB. 

Kyle Shanahan was an OC, and a very successful one, under multiple different HCs on different teams before he got the SF job. 

My point is not hot coordinator automatically equals bad HC but rather that using that as the only, or at least the primary qualifier is often flawed. We have seen it time and time and time and time again. 

And BoB came from New England prior to PSU and that, like all of them, was a power mad control freak who proved not to be Belichick.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Mike Tomlin has been a DC for one year,

irrelevant, he was a hot name coordinator following that season....

and prior to that a very long tenured coordinator with 2 rings who was widely regarded as the best

exactly

Mike Shanahan had been a long tenured QBs Coach, OC and (failed, like BB, in less than ideal circumstances) before getting the HC job in Denver, where he was on a staff that went to 3 Super Bowls in the 1980s and thus had an established relationship with the owner and HOF QB. 

I was talking about Kyle

Kyle Shanahan was an OC, and a very successful one, under multiple different HCs on different teams before he got the SF job. 

so a hot coordinator yes

My point is not hot coordinator automatically equals bad HC but rather that using that as the only, or at least the primary qualifier is often flawed. We have seen it time and time and time and time again. 

again, what's the alternative? sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesn't but there's not a a very long list of super impressive candidates other than succesful coordinators, so I'm unsure at what the point you're trying to make is.

fact is, the grand majority of coaches will be disposed of in just a few seasons... there's very few truly special coaches out there. can't blame teams for trying to find that special someone, though. Successful coordinators definitely aren't a bad place to look.