Falcons fire HC Dan Quinn, GM Dimitroff; Raheem Morris to be interim HC

.Buzz

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, you have Houston with no picks... or Atlanta with no cap. 

Have fun, Bienemy.

If I'm him I'm either staying in KC or going to where they have a QB for the foreseeable future or in a position to take one in this years draft. Outside of staying in KC, going to the Texans would be at the top of my list. They have the QB, some talent around him, and it's an income tax free state.

3 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If I'm him I'm either staying in KC or going to where they have a QB for the foreseeable future or in a position to take one in this years draft. Outside of staying in KC, going to the Texans would be at the top of my list. They have the QB, some talent around him, and it's an income tax free state.

Only way he stays KC is if they pay him like a HC. It's doable, but staying in KC for anything less than a HC paycheck makes no sense.

17 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

irrelevant, he was a hot name coordinator following that season....

exactly

I was talking about Kyle

so a hot coordinator yes

again, what's the alternative? sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesn't but there's not a a very long list of super impressive candidates other than succesful coordinators, so I'm unsure at what the point you're trying to make is.

fact is, the grand majority of coaches will be disposed of in just a few seasons... there's very few truly special coaches out there. can't blame teams for trying to find that special someone, though. Successful coordinators definitely aren't a bad place to look.

Look I’m not blaming any Owner/GM who rolls the dice on a “hot coordinator” because, like you said, that’s the pipeline. And it applies to virtually every field - most new CEOs come from the board room, not the factory floor. 

But if you name the 10 best HCs in the NFL, and most lists will differ by a name or two, you will find a lot of similarities on their resume prior to becoming a HC - such as age, working and, more importantly, being successful in multiple stops under multiple other HCs, prior HC experience, etc. And that doesn’t even take into account the more intangible traits in being a HC, things like willingness to adapt and adjust, ability to relate to players, mange time, deal with the media/PR aspects. 

Dan Quinn was a DC in the NFL for one year, under a defensive minded HC with decades of experience who is nearly universally respected, and he coached a roster stocked with talent. Is it any shock that didn’t work out? It wasn’t to me. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Look I’m not blaming any Owner/GM who rolls the dice on a “hot coordinator” because, like you said, that’s the pipeline. And it applies to virtually every field - most new CEOs come from the board room, not the factory floor. 

But if you name the 10 best HCs in the NFL, and most lists will differ by a name or two, you will find a lot of similarities on their resume prior to becoming a HC - such as age, working and, more importantly, being successful in multiple stops under multiple other HCs, prior HC experience, etc. And that doesn’t even take into account the more intangible traits in being a HC, things like willingness to adapt and adjust, ability to relate to players, mange time, deal with the media/PR aspects. 

Dan Quinn was a DC in the NFL for one year, under a defensive minded HC with decades of experience who is nearly universally respected, and he coached a roster stocked with talent. Is it any shock that didn’t work out? It wasn’t to me. 

Just like Tomlin, indeed.

I'm not shocked it didn't work out. But merely because the average coach lifespan in this league is less than 3 years excluding Belichick and Tomlin. lol

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Only way he stays KC is if they pay him like a HC. It's doable, but staying in KC for anything less than a HC paycheck makes no sense.

Unless he has an under the table agreement with Hunt to take over as HC in a few years when Reid retires.

I’ve long suspected that McDaniels has such an agreement in place Kraft and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bienemy has a similar deal.

Why leave KC with a 25 year old HOF QB and roster you know, not to mention it’s a stable ownership/front office situation with first-rate facilities and a large, loyal and passionate fanbase. Going to another team, with all the unknowns, to clean up someone else’s mess might not look as appealing if you can wait a few years and stay put. 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Just like Tomlin, indeed.

I'm not shocked it didn't work out. But merely because the average coach lifespan in this league is less than 3 years excluding Belichick and Tomlin. lol

I think Tomlin is much more of an exception to the rule rather than a comparison to the average new, first time HC situation. 

He took over the most stable franchise in the league, with a stacked roster that included an in-his-prime franchise QB. He wasn’t going into a 2-14 team with a bare cupboard and a reputation for changing the key leadership positions every few years. 

And I don’t say that to take anything away from Tomlin, who I believe is an exceptional HC who would have found success virtually anywhere. But he’s not the best comparison for the average situation in the league for a rookie HC. 

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Why leave KC with a 25 year old HOF QB and roster you know, not to mention it’s a stable ownership/front office situation with first-rate facilities and a large, loyal and passionate fanbase. Going to another team, with all the unknowns, to clean up someone else’s mess might not look as appealing if you can wait a few years and stay put. 

He'd get a raise from $400k a year as a coordinator to likely around $6M a year as a head coach. Assuming Reid coaches like 5 more years after this season he'd miss out on like $28M in potential earnings by remaining on his staff. Houston's pretty strapped for resources this offseason but they'll have all of their draft capital and a ton of financial flexibility starting in the 2022 offseason. So if he were to take that job he'd be able to coach Watson while also being able to rebuild the roster after next season. 

Not to mention if he has success with Houston he could always leave there to become the head coach in Kansas City after Reid retires. 

Not surprised, the Falcons have looked terrible this year. Probably not all his fault though. Matt Ryan has been brutal lately and has probably been the worst QB in the NFC South so far this season. Going to be tough for the Falcons going forward as Julio Jones turns 32 in a couple months and is likely on a downward trajectory as well.