NFC WEST WATCH

MDY10

On 3/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, Dr LBC said:

I don't even necessarily see Cousins in Jones; some similarities, sure.  But  I watch Jones and can't help but think, "Christian Ponder."

They arent taking Jones, theres just no way. And you definitely dont trade up to 3 to do so.

And while they wanted to keep up the charade for draft drama's sake, his underwhelming Pro Day really hurt that/

Justin Fields is getting quite disrespected around here, and I would not be happy if Shanahan has that weapon at his disposal

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They arent taking Jones, theres just no way. And you definitely dont trade up to 3 to do so.

And while they wanted to keep up the charade for draft drama's sake, his underwhelming Pro Day really hurt that/

Justin Fields is getting quite disrespected around here, and I would not be happy if Shanahan has that weapon at his disposal

Feilds is HIGHLY overrated. Not impressed and doesn't scare me one bit. Has the iQ of a goldfish.  I wouldn't sleep on Jones tho. 

What if Selah gave Shanny the hint he was sticking with Darnold and they're actually after Wilson? Wilson would be the only guy that scares me to be honest. Other than him and TLaw I don't think the others are going to be much more of an upgrade than Jimmy G. 

Edited by RamPackFan

3 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

Feilds is HIGHLY overrated. Not impressed and doesn't scare me one bit. Has the iQ of a goldfish.  I wouldn't sleep on Jones tho. 

What if Selah gave Shanny the hint he was sticking with Darnold and they're actually after Wilson? Wilson would be the only guy that scares me to be honest. Other than him and TLaw I don't think the others are going to be much more of an upgrade than Jimmy G. 

I thought this too.

Until I realized, if you are sticking with Darnold, why wouldn't you take SF's offer to Miami? 

1 minute ago, RamPackFan said:

Wait..what offer? 

SF moved from #12 to #3. Added in 2 future firsts and a 3rd.

So If I'm the NYJ and I'm sticking with Darnold...why wouldn't I accept this offer? You would be able to give Darnold his last audition and if he bombs, you have the ammunition to move up next year for a QB. If he thrives, you pick up his 5th year option and would have had two 1sts in 3 consecutive drafts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

SF moved from #12 to #3. Added in 2 future firsts and a 3rd.

So If I'm the NYJ and I'm sticking with Darnold...why wouldn't I accept this offer? You would be able to give Darnold his last audition and if he bombs, you have the ammunition to move up next year for a QB. If he thrives, you pick up his 5th year option and would have had two 1sts in 3 consecutive drafts. 

Maybe the Jets don't like their options at 12 and wanta the beast OT from Oregon? Idk. 

I think NYJ drafting a QB when you already have a decent one and still have many other needs is a terrible move. I do think Wilson is special ...but I also think we haven't seen the best of Darnold either. Idk..

12 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Maybe the Jets don't like their options at 12 and wanta the beast OT from Oregon? Idk. 

I think NYJ drafting a QB when you already have a decent one and still have many other needs is a terrible move. I do think Wilson is special ...but I also think we haven't seen the best of Darnold either. Idk..

No, I'm with you. I'm in NJ and have a bunch of friends who are Jets fans. The ones I know all love Darnold and believe Gase really botched him like he did Tannehill. I tend to agree. He showed promise with Bowles and complete regression under Gase, which we've seen with other players. So I would stick with Darnold and trade #2 for a kings ransom.

HOWEVER, I understand the implications of guessing wrong on Darnold if you're Douglas and Saleh. If you're wrong on Darnold and he isn't special, you've just lost your job in Douglas' case and you're off to a rough start in Saleh's case. 

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

No, I'm with you. I'm in NJ and have a bunch of friends who are Jets fans. The ones I know all love Darnold and believe Gase really botched him like he did Tannehill. I tend to agree. He showed promise with Bowles and complete regression under Gase, which we've seen with other players. So I would stick with Darnold and trade #2 for a kings ransom.

HOWEVER, I understand the implications of guessing wrong on Darnold if you're Douglas and Saleh. If you're wrong on Darnold and he isn't special, you've just lost your job in Douglas' case and you're off to a rough start in Saleh's case. 

Further complicated by the fact that his rookie deal is almost over. He's 19 million against the cap in 2021, and if he's competent to average / above average the next two years, he's 25-30 million afterward and it's not really a great value. So even if you are right and Darnold can be better, one of the "good" outcomes really isn't all that great. 

Trade him to Denver, restart your rebuild clock with Wilson.

*edit* sorry, I meant 2022 for his cap hit. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Further complicated by the fact that his rookie deal is almost over. He's 19 million against the cap in 2021, and if he's competent to average / above average the next two years, he's 25-30 million afterward and it's not really a great value. So even if you are right and Darnold can be better, one of the "good" outcomes really isn't all that great. 

I'm shocked Washington/Chicago aren't in on him and wouldn't be surprised to see one make a move on draft. If Trask doesn't fall to them in the 2nd, do you swing a 3rd to the NYJ after they've picked Wilson the day prior and roll the dice?

The flipside is, if Darnold can play like a 12-15 QB, you have the draft ammunition to build an instant playoff team in 2021 and your future is only getting brighter with upcoming drafts. This is a QB who went 7-6 in 2019 and is still 23 years old. 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I don't know about highly disrespected.  Disrespected?  Sure.  But Fields is beatable.  If (and granted, it's a big if - but Shanahan is the sort of coach I'd bet on to come through on it) Lance hit the developmental-benchmarks to realize even 75% of his potential, I'd fear him in Shanahan's offense in the division a lot more than I would Fields.  Donald and maintaining an effective variant of the current Fangio/Staley defensive scheme should give us plenty of security against Field... it's still going to be the Shanahan system that we'll be dealing with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

*edit* sorry, I meant 2022 for his cap hit. 

Speaking as someone who is coming from second- (could honestly be considered third-) hand perspective on Darnold (my cousin is his fraternity brother and was his college roommate in the Lambda Chi house), I've always gotten the feeling that coaches genuinely question whether he has that killer instinct.  I'm not talking about this in a will-he-play-through-injury manner but rather a "When his back is against the wall, one instinct kicks in: fight or flight" manner.

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Who reported this? 

Lots of people think this is the pick but nobody knows. They have a history of making moves nobody knew about but somehow everybody supposedly knows what this pick will be. Not buying it but at the same time you can’t rule out any of the three options at this point.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...