NFC WEST WATCH

MDY10

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Completely agree. They have to know and I imagine Saleh tipped his hand to them, but does that mean the Jets are taking Wilson or they aren't? lol so lost.

Jets had their gm, head coach, and OC at the pro day for Wilson. They could definitely just be doing their home work but it seems there’s some serious interest there

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Jets had their gm, head coach, and OC at the pro day for Wilson. They could definitely just be doing their home work but it seems there’s some serious interest there

That's the kind of crowd that Dax Milne brings. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I've been racking my brain for the last hour trying to make sense of what you just mentioned. Saleh had to of tipped his hand in some fashion to Lynch/Shanahan cause you can't make that trade pre-draft and not have an idea who will be there. 

If the Jets take Wilson, you just traded all that for the 3rd best QB in a draft.

If the Jets pass on Wilson, then why wouldn't they take that trade offer from SF? 

No, he doesn't have to have tipped his hand.  For one, considering, it's not his hand, it's Joe Douglas'.  For another, Saleh's loyalty is (or at least should be) to Douglas and the Jets; what do he and the Jets have to gain from tipping their hand to the Niners?  If the Jets are content to pass on Wilson (which would mean they either have supreme faith in Darnold - because he's about to be on his 5th-year option so passing a QB would move the needle heavily towards paying Darnold "2nd contract" money - or they have a really negative eval on Wilson), they'd have to have someone they are head-over-heels in love with at #2 to have not given strong consideration to that trade offer the Niners put forward to Miami for the pick.  To me, them passing on Wilson would only logically mean they (the Jets) believe they have a legitimate shot at landing either Russ or Watson.  But even if they were to trade for one of those two this year, it would be a better than average likelihood that the newly-acquired #2 pick would be used on a QB because it would be no guarantee to the Texans or the Hawks that they'd be in any higher position in succeeding years.

I think this trade is less getting Wilson and more about getting in front of Atlanta to have their choice between either Fields or Lance - dependent on who Shanahan feels he can do more with sooner or over the long-run - which probably boils down to how easily correctable Shanny believes Lance's throwing platform issue is, because it needs to be re-tooled; you can't count on or assume he'll be able to freelance around it just because Mahomes does or has on some instances.

Edited by Dr LBC

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Jets are taking Zach Wilson. That has basically been confirmed at this point.

Good. I'd hate to see him in our division - he's got a wow factor that many QBs just don't have.

I'm happy with any of the others, very much so with Mac Jones. He seems to have a lot of noise. I'd rather them take Jones over Fields or Lance, personally. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, Dr LBC said:

No, he doesn't have to have tipped his hand.  For one, considering, it's not his hand, it's Joe Douglas'.  For another, Saleh's loyalty is (or at least should be) to Douglas and the Jets; what do he and the Jets have to gain from tipping their hand to the Niners?  If the Jets are content to pass on Wilson (which would mean they either have supreme faith in Darnold - because he's about to be on his 5th-year option so passing a QB would move the needle heavily towards paying Darnold "2nd contract" money - or they have a really negative eval on Wilson), they'd have to have someone they are head-over-heels in love with at #2 to have not given strong consideration to that trade offer the Niners put forward to Miami for the pick.  To me, them passing on Wilson would only logically mean they (the Jets) believe they have a legitimate shot at landing either Russ or Watson.  But even if they were to trade for one of those two this year, it would be a better than average likelihood that the newly-acquired #2 pick would be used on a QB because it would be no guarantee to the Texans or the Hawks that they'd be in any higher position in succeeding years.

I think this trade is less getting Wilson and more about getting in front of Atlanta to have their choice between either Fields or Lance - dependent on who Shanahan feels he can do more with sooner or over the long-run - which probably boils down to how easily correctable Shanny believes Lance's throwing platform issue is, because it needs to be re-tooled; you can't count on or assume he'll be able to freelance around it just because Mahomes does or has on some instances.

Do you think it's a coincedence this deal was done on the same day at Zach Wilson's Pro Day? 

Also, Ryan's restructure leaves ATL with 40Mil in dead cap in 2022 and 15Mil in dead cap in 2023 so jumping ATL only makes sense if they think ATL is trading out of that pick with CAR/DEN.

Jets take Wilson. 

49ers likely take Fields at 3. Do I think Fields is worth trading up what they did to get him? No. Has trading up into the top 5 to get a QB been successful for the teams that have done in the past 10 years or so? Also, no. 

3 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Good. I'd hate to see him in our division - he's got a wow factor that many QBs just don't have.

I'm happy with any of the others, very much so with Mac Jones. He seems to have a lot of noise. I'd rather them take Jones over Fields or Lance, personally. 

I'd rather them take fields or lance. Both I feel won't do much at next level to be honest. 

That being said, I think the pick will be Mac Jones

Edited by RamPackFan

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

I'd rather them take fields or lance. Both I feel won't do much at next level to be honest. 

That being said, I think the pick will be Mac Jones

I'd much rather them take Mac Jones. Shanahan's scheme masks Fields's weaknesses with its simplified reads and large windows. Fields's running threat only makes that running game more difficult to stop. And they'll be able to incorporate more RPOs. Jones adds about the same skillset Jimmy does, but he's likely more durable. He scares me much less than Fields.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'd much rather them take Mac Jones. Shanahan's scheme masks Fields's weaknesses with its simplified reads and large windows. Fields's running threat only makes that running game more difficult to stop. And they'll be able to incorporate more RPOs. Jones adds about the same skillset Jimmy does, but he's likely more durable. He scares me much less than Fields.

I've seen a few off tweets, but is Mac Jones a real possiblity at 3 overall? I agree with your assessment, but I just think it's a two horse race with Fields and Lance at #3. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

I've seen a few off tweets, but is Mac Jones a real possiblity at 3 overall? I agree with your assessment, but I just think it's a two horse race with Fields and Lance at #3. 

SF is sure acting like he is. Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are choosing to attend his Pro Day over Justin Fields's.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

SF is sure acting like he is. Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are choosing to attend his Pro Day over Justin Fields's.

I've read somewhere that Fields has attended several of Shanahan's camps in the past, so assuming they have a good feel for Fields it would make sense to check out someone who they have more questions on. 

But Mac Jones at #3 would be nuts to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mac Jones like any Alabama QB are bust...so i would be very happy if he ended up to Niners

• Like 1