Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

32 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-different-ohio-state-qbs

Pretty sure I posted the above article in here when it dropped, but maybe it was just in the Jaguars forum. Either way, good analysis from Jordan Reid over at TDN going through the OSU QBs over the years and their games compared to Fields.

If he fails, it won't have anything to do with where he played in college.

Interesting article but fact is was anyone saying those things when Haskins was coming out of college?  A lot of people loved him and thought he would be the one to break the Ohio State QB trend.  Fact is he did not, and sure Fields is "accurate" but what he has done this season in fanless games is not really telling much, defenses clearly struggle with no one at the game and it makes offense way easier to play.

Fields could do fine in the NFL sure, but fact is he could also bust because he might be overrated because of his athletic ability.  Really interested in how he plays today without Ryan Day in his ear all game long.  Whatever narrative there is, fact is until one Ohio State QB becomes great in the NFL, there will always be that out there.  Could say the same thing about Florida really, Steve Spurrier was legit for his time but was on bad teams.  Will see how Trask does, another QB who is playing amazing football this year as well, will see if it can translate to the NFL.

With so many college offenses being played in the NFL now it is easier for quarterbacks to make that switch and jump because more and more teams are doing what college teams are doing because it is easier to play QB that way.  Hopefully defenses can catch up, and just like offenses disguise what they do, more and more defenses hopefully will do the same which then makes those reads a lot harder.  

PS Three starting offensive lineman are out for Ohio State today, and no Day at HC so this game will be awesome for an evaluation standpoint on Fields.  See how he does when things are not all that comfortable and the team is probably pretty rusty honestly.  

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Interesting article but fact is was anyone saying those things when Haskins was coming out of college?  A lot of people loved him and thought he would be the one to break the Ohio State QB trend.  Fact is he did not, and sure Fields is "accurate" but what he has done this season in fanless games is not really telling much, defenses clearly struggle with no one at the game and it makes offense way easier to play.

Fields could do fine in the NFL sure, but fact is he could also bust because he might be overrated because of his athletic ability.  Really interested in how he plays today without Ryan Day in his ear all game long.  Whatever narrative there is, fact is until one Ohio State QB becomes great in the NFL, there will always be that out there.  Could say the same thing about Florida really, Steve Spurrier was legit for his time but was on bad teams.  Will see how Trask does, another QB who is playing amazing football this year as well, will see if it can translate to the NFL.

With so many college offenses being played in the NFL now it is easier for quarterbacks to make that switch and jump because more and more teams are doing what college teams are doing because it is easier to play QB that way.  Hopefully defenses can catch up, and just like offenses disguise what they do, more and more defenses hopefully will do the same which then makes those reads a lot harder.  

PS Three starting offensive lineman are out for Ohio State today, and no Day at HC so this game will be awesome for an evaluation standpoint on Fields.  See how he does when things are not all that comfortable and the team is probably pretty rusty honestly.  

No one saying what when Haskins came out? He literally copy/pasted his Haskins scouting report from back when he evaluated him prior to the draft. Those things he posted were clearly seen in his game. He wasn't very mobile/struggled escaping pressure and had sloppy footwork at times. Personally, I liked Haskins coming out, but that doesn't mean him and Fields are close to the same level of prospect as eachother when they came out/Haskins didn't have flaws that worried me (mainly the mobility/footwork).

Literally every college QB has the same situation as far as fans, including QBs at the NFL level besides a few stadiums allowing a few thousand in. If that's where we're at in the "knocking" process than I guess I'll accept that? 

Fields could very well bust, I never said anything different. All these guys could. He isn't a sure fire can't miss prospect, but all the tools and tape point to have having potential to be "special", so he'll go high and deservedly so. 

Never compared him to Lawrence (who I have above him for sure), but outside of him he's one of my favorites from the past few years.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No one saying what when Haskins came out? He literally copy/pasted his Haskins scouting report from back when he evaluated him prior to the draft. Those things he posted were clearly seen in his game. He wasn't very mobile/struggled escaping pressure and had sloppy footwork at times. Personally, I liked Haskins coming out, but that doesn't mean him and Fields are close to the same level of prospect as eachother when they came out/Haskins didn't have flaws that worried me (mainly the mobility/footwork).

Literally every college QB has the same situation as far as fans, including QBs at the NFL level besides a few stadiums allowing some on. If that's where we're at in the "knocking" process than I guess I'll accept that? 

Fields could very well bust, I never said anything different. All these guys could. He isn't a sure fire can't miss prospect, but all the tools and tape point to have having potential to be "special", so he'll go high and deservedly so. 

Never compared him to Lawrence (who I have above him for sure), but outside of him he's one of my favorites from the past few years.

Maybe it was some around here that defended Haskins ridiculously, then again most where Ohio State fans.

Either way this game today looks ideal for evaluation for Fields.  That OL is nothing like they usually are and looks like the center can barely even snap the football back to the QB in the pistol or shotgun.  So could be great to see how Fields does with it all, not to mention they also probably have to win the game easily and by a lot to make a case for the playoff...great pressure situation for him.

• Like 1

So far decent by Justin Fields.  Honestly though all he is doing is scrambling out of pressure and making plays with his legs or the threat of running is opening up the passing game like on the TD pass.  Sucks more pressure has not been applied in terms of score and making it a game, but already 14 nothing and that Ohio State defense is charged so could be a massive blowout possibly.  And the more the score gets one sided the less Fields has to do.

Like the composure Field has shown no question, did not get crazy frustrated with the bad snaps early but that power run game is so key to that entire offense.  Hell last year JK Dobbins has freaking 2000 yards rushing and Teague in a season where he missed time because of injury even got almost 800 yards.  So still hard to read Fields with such a dominating run game.  Not to mention all he has to do is throw it to Olave or Wilson and despite the throw they will make a move and make a play with the ball in their hands.

Will see how the rest of it goes.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

the threat of running is opening up the passing game like on the TD pass

threat of running didnt open up that TD pass. Fields threw it right into a bucket. It was a perfect pass. WR wasnt wide up cause of the rushing ability

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

threat of running didnt open up that TD pass. Fields threw it right into a bucket. It was a perfect pass. WR wasnt wide up cause of the rushing ability

Pretty sure you are one who defended Haskins to the death pre draft 2019 correct?

Fact is all Fields has to do is run around after the zone read or playaction fake and usually can do whatever he wants.  That one long pass they had called back because of holding, it was just a wide open crossing route.  It was nothing Fields really did outside of see the wide open guy coming across.  And that play had absolutely everything to do with Fields running threat on that TD to Wilson, the defender would have dropped to that receiver but was stuck in the middle because of the threat of Fields taking off and running which he did more than once in this game.  Was a nice throw sure but would have been a lot harder if the defender could have just dropped to that receiver.  

It is a hard evaluation, and sure on paper this game I thought looks great, 28 nothing with a bunch of backup offensive linemen.  Great for Fields but fact is he has not done all that many great things to make the score what it is outside of scrambling and getting run plays from the QB spot.  Usually the offense line is so good, he can just sit back there, wait for the crossers and get a very long and easy TD.  

I do like what he has shown in terms of his poise in this game, but what on paper looked like it could maybe be a challenge and bring some interesting situations for Fields, but is absolutely not one because the D came to play unlike the last time they played.    Great for Ohio State and wanting to get into the playoff, sure helps with all they do not have in this game and still looking great.

Does not mean Justin Fields is some automatic Hall of Fame QB in the NFL.  #2 pick in the draft, probably no question about it.  Would Kellen Mond look any different in that Ohio State offense?  No way he has the receivers Fields has on that Mond's A&M team.  That big TE is a legit weapon and pro prospect, but out side his best receiver is a running back honestly in Ainias Smith.  You think he would not look equally great in the position Fields is in?  And Mond has been put through ups and downs and some very hard times, Fields has not which could be an issue long term, will see.  His pocket fundamentals will absolutely have to improve unless he gets put in a very similar offense which easily could happen, so good for him.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Pretty sure you are one who defended Haskins to the death pre draft 2019 correct?

I don’t think so. I wasn’t the most fond of Haskins. Thought his numbers were inflated cause all they did was throw the ball. 

also the way Washington has handled Haskins doesn’t truly indicate if he was a good prospect or not. That organization is a mess

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why should I care about this guy's opinion? LOL. I have never heard of him.

He created #RAS, is deep in analytics and works at PFN?

Didn't think it'd be controversial to post his thoughts on the QB class in the QB thread.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He created #RAS, is deep in analytics and works at PFN?

Didn't think it'd be controversial to post his thoughts on the QB class in the QB thread.

What's the controversy? I'm asking why I should value his take. I still don't see a reason. This isn't analytics. He's offering scouting opinions. I'm just being honest.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What's the controversy? I'm asking why I should value his take. I still don't see a reason. This isn't analytics. He's offering scouting opinions. I'm just being honest.

Too each their own.

I find it interesting, and he's taking #RAS (his projections at least, which I believe to have value in the whole package of an evaluation) into it.

If you don't like it/value it, no need to take a second look at it. No worries.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Too each their own.

I find it interesting, and he's taking #RAS (his projections at least, which I believe to have value in the whole package of an evaluation) into it.

If you don't like it/value it, no need to take a second look at it. No worries.

That's not possible. RAS is based on data. He's guessing. I don't see anything in his background that makes me think he has valuable insights as a SCOUT. That's my point.