Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, he's not a franchise QB so I think at this point you're trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

I don’t see what makes him for sure not a franchise QB. He has the physical tools. He has the production. He has the big time wins against quality competition. He’s been the heart and soul of that team for a while now. 

I’m not crowning him anything, but the dude gets a little too much hate I think. He’s the most intriguing QB that can be had outside of round 1. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, jrry32 said:

Dude chucked the ball 60+ yards in the air against CCU with relative ease. He throws off platform with easy velocity. He has a big arm.

He has a big arm but I wouldn't put it in the Cutler/Mahomes/Allen cannons.

1 hour ago, QBIso said:

I don’t see what makes him for sure not a franchise QB. He has the physical tools. He has the production. He has the big time wins against quality competition. He’s been the heart and soul of that team for a while now. 

I’m not crowning him anything, but the dude gets a little too much hate I think. He’s the most intriguing QB that can be had outside of round 1. 

I haven't watched him this year, but in the past, I didn't think he was a natural thrower of the football. He didn't make it look easy. He kind of reminded me of players like Bortles and Driskel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I haven't watched him this year, but in the past, I didn't think he was a natural thrower of the football. He didn't make it look easy. He kind of reminded me of players like Bortles and Driskel.

Agreed. Every time I watch Ehlinger, I don't see anything that makes me go "yeah, that kid is an NFL starting QB." He's going to get drafted because, after the top QBs, this QB class is bunk but he's a back-up, at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Agreed. Every time I watch Ehlinger, I don't see anything that makes me go "yeah, that kid is an NFL starting QB." He's going to get drafted because, after the top QBs, this QB class is bunk but he's a back-up, at best. 

It'll depend on who is in the class as to whether I consider it "bunk" (and the QBs you consider "top QBs"). 

Just now, jrry32 said:

It'll depend on who is in the class as to whether I consider it "bunk" (and the QBs you consider "top QBs"). 

Anyone not named Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones or Trask. Those are the only guys that I think can be NFL starters in this class, so far. Different levels/kinds of starters, obviously, but starting caliber nonetheless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Anyone not named Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones or Trask. Those are the only guys that I think can be NFL starters in this class, so far. Different levels/kinds of starters, obviously, but starting caliber nonetheless.

Well, that's six QBs. I think you'd find most classes don't have many guys likely to be starters outside of the top six. I'm guessing the first four you named go Round 1. Trask or Jones could possibly slip into Round 1, but both more likely go on Day 2. I'm not sure Jones declares. Although, with Bryce Young there, it's very possible that Saban gives him a push.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, that's six QBs. I think you'd find most classes don't have many guys likely to be starters outside of the top six. I'm guessing the first four you named go Round 1. Trask or Jones could possibly slip into Round 1, but both more likely go on Day 2. I'm not sure Jones declares. Although, with Bryce Young there, it's very possible that Saban gives him a push.

Oh for sure. I'm not calling the class itself bunk at all. The class is very strong. It's just, once you get past those 6, there's not even an intriguing developmental QB on the radar. I'd honestly avoid drafting a single QB after those 6, should they declare.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh for sure. I'm not calling the class itself bunk at all. The class is very strong. It's just, once you get past those 6, there's not even an intriguing developmental QB on the radar. I'd honestly avoid drafting a single QB after those 6, should they declare.

I can't say. I don't start evaluating players until after the Rams are out of the running. I have a list of QBs I'd like to evaluate when that happens (Newman, Pickett, Mond, Morgan, Ridder, and Purdy if he declares). I'll also take a quick look at Ehlinger and Book, but I haven't been impressed by either when I casually watched them.

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I can't say. I don't start evaluating players until after the Rams are out of the running. I have a list of QBs I'd like to evaluate when that happens (Newman, Pickett, Mond, Morgan, Ridder, and Purdy if he declares). I'll also take a quick look at Ehlinger and Book, but I haven't been impressed by either when I casually watched them.

Trust me, outside of Ridder, you're not going to find much. Maybe, and that's a BIG maybe, Newman but I'm not big on him either. 

Mond isn't accurate enough, has a terrible release/motion, and doesn't have the arm to overcome the accuracy deficiencies. Pickett isn't an NFL QB. He's a clipboard holder that'll know the plays and be a coach's pet but he doesn't have it. Too mechanical for me. Decent enough arm but that's about it. Morgan is a back-up. Average tools across the board and his accuracy comes and goes. Not a fan at all. Purdy is whatever. Don't know how to properly rate him but I don't see much. Book is a turd. He's a "gamer" but not an NFL QB.

EDIT - Purdy's mechanics/footwork are a mess and his arm isn't strong at all. It's fine on deep balls, due to his touch on the throws, but that's not what I'm talking about. I don't see the intermediate depth arm strength or drive on the ball. 

Edited by beekay414

35 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Trust me, outside of Ridder, you're not going to find much. Maybe, and that's a BIG maybe, Newman but I'm not big on him either. 

Mond isn't accurate enough, has a terrible release/motion, and doesn't have the arm to overcome the accuracy deficiencies. Pickett isn't an NFL QB. He's a clipboard holder that'll know the plays and be a coach's pet but he doesn't have it. Too mechanical for me. Decent enough arm but that's about it. Morgan is a back-up. Average tools across the board and his accuracy comes and goes. Not a fan at all. Purdy is whatever. Don't know how to properly rate him but I don't see much. Book is a turd. He's a "gamer" but not an NFL QB.

EDIT - Purdy's mechanics/footwork are a mess and his arm isn't strong at all. It's fine on deep balls, due to his touch on the throws, but that's not what I'm talking about. I don't see the intermediate depth arm strength or drive on the ball. 

You forgot KJ Costello