Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

On 12/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, QBIso said:

I don’t see what makes him for sure not a franchise QB. He has the physical tools. He has the production. He has the big time wins against quality competition. He’s been the heart and soul of that team for a while now. 

I’m not crowning him anything, but the dude gets a little too much hate I think. He’s the most intriguing QB that can be had outside of round 1. 

Then that's a pretty low bar to set IMO.  Despite being flush with talent around him, he's gone 24-12 in the last two and a half seasons.  He doesn't possess any particularly special physical tools, and his production has been underwhelming.  He'll be 23 years old shortly after the season starts next year.  There's just really nothing that stands out with him.

19 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Trust me, outside of Ridder, you're not going to find much. Maybe, and that's a BIG maybe, Newman but I'm not big on him either. 

Mond isn't accurate enough, has a terrible release/motion, and doesn't have the arm to overcome the accuracy deficiencies. Pickett isn't an NFL QB. He's a clipboard holder that'll know the plays and be a coach's pet but he doesn't have it. Too mechanical for me. Decent enough arm but that's about it. Morgan is a back-up. Average tools across the board and his accuracy comes and goes. Not a fan at all. Purdy is whatever. Don't know how to properly rate him but I don't see much. Book is a turd. He's a "gamer" but not an NFL QB.

EDIT - Purdy's mechanics/footwork are a mess and his arm isn't strong at all. It's fine on deep balls, due to his touch on the throws, but that's not what I'm talking about. I don't see the intermediate depth arm strength or drive on the ball. 

This.  Ridder is the only thing intriguing outside of the guys we've discussed ad nauseam.  And that's based purely on his tools.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

ridder will have to improve significantly as a passer before im sold on him.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he's a high draft pick.  But if you're drafting after the top few tiers of QBs, he's probably the one you're gambling on.  Probably doesn't amount to much, but he's got a higher upside than some of those other guys mentioned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This.  Ridder is the only thing intriguing outside of the guys we've discussed ad nauseam.  And that's based purely on his tools.

Carson Strong is a solid all around prospect and eligible.

Colorado QB Sam Noyer has come out of nowhere and looked pretty adept with his mechanics and arm talent.

Ian Book is finally having a solid year and has good tools.

Always been a bit of a fan of Jack Coan, who just returned from a broken foot.

D'Eriq King isn't much different than P.J. Walker.

@QB_Iso I think Ehlinger is clutch and can scramble but, despite improving, he's still trying to prove he can be a passer. He reminds me of a rugged Trace McSorely or spread Kevin Hogan. He could bounce around the league awhile if he looks good in post/mini camps but I'd be surprised if he's much more than an emergency level guy.

Edited by BrownLeader

4 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Carson Strong is a solid all around prospect and eligible.

Colorado QB Sam Noyer has come out of nowhere and looked pretty adept with his mechanics and arm talent.

Ian Book is finally having a solid year and has good tools.

Always been a bit of a fan of Jack Coan, who just returned from a broken foot.

D'Eriq King isn't much different than P.J. Walker.

@QB_Iso I think Ehlinger is clutch and can scramble but, despite improving, he's still trying to prove he can be a passer. He reminds me of a rugged Trace McSorely or spread Kevin Hogan. He could bounce around the league awhile if he looks good in post/mini camps but I'd be surprised if he's much more than an emergency level guy.

Same. I think the winds up being one of those Jeff Garcia-Ryan Fitzpatrick types that aren't always spectacular, but too good to cut and pushes another potential starter to the limits.

Zach Wilson took a bit of a nosedive for me. I wasn't enamored with him this year and just didn't feel like he was the best player on the field against Coastal Carolina last week. His level of competition this year has basically been CUSA/SunBelt, and a lot of times, he's just looked really average to me outside of big stats against poor competition. 

I'd take him in the 3rd, but no earlier. Kid needs some time and seasoning to not be a 1-hit wonder. He's definitely got tools to work with though.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Zach Wilson took a bit of a nosedive for me. I wasn't enamored with him this year and just didn't feel like he was the best player on the field against Coastal Carolina last week. His level of competition this year has basically been CUSA/SunBelt, and a lot of times, he's just looked really average to me outside of big stats against poor competition. 

I'd take him in the 3rd, but no earlier. Kid needs some time and seasoning to not be a 1-hit wonder. He's definitely got tools to work with though.

I would agree with that.  His competition level this year has been awful, but he has played great football and really has shown off what a live arm he has and how good he is throwing on the move.  Costal Carolina is no world beater, but they did a number of them defensively, Zach Wilson got hit more in that game than any game he has this year and it showed, and that was against a bunch of so so college players, would love to see him go up against a big boy defense this year in the bowl game but who knows if that happens.

Still got to love his creativity and arm talent outside the pocket, but some guys get overrated when they can make those amazing plays on the move deep down field but do not have the pocket fundamentals to be a great QB.  Zach Wilson will probably still be a 1st round pick this year with how he has played though, but could bust.  I would be more comfortable with Mac Jones honestly who is superior in the pocket, throws a more impressive deep ball in the pocket and just has overall better mechanics and footwork than Zach Wilson.  Zach Wilson has a nice flick of the wrist throw but is an odd release at times with off balance footwork.  Sure Patrick Mahomes pulls that off but still being that sloppy with footwork is generally not a good thing.

Mac Jones for example if kept in the pocket and needed to step up in the pocket and make throws would do it comfortably.  If Zach Wilson was kept in the pocket and not allowed to run around on the edges and extend plays, I do not think he would be as successful doing the typical yet boring things quarterbacks do when moving the football down field.  I heard the Johnny Manziel comp with Zach Wilson which is a good one, but Manziel was a much more dangerous runner than Wilson and much more a head case than Wilson is, so he has that going for him at least ahead of Johnny boy which is a good thing.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would agree with that.  His competition level this year has been awful, but he has played great football and really has shown off what a live arm he has and how good he is throwing on the move.  Costal Carolina is no world beater, but they did a number of them defensively, Zach Wilson got hit more in that game than any game he has this year and it showed, and that was against a bunch of so so college players, would love to see him go up against a big boy defense this year in the bowl game but who knows if that happens.

Still got to love his creativity and arm talent outside the pocket, but some guys get overrated when they can make those amazing plays on the move deep down field but do not have the pocket fundamentals to be a great QB.  Zach Wilson will probably still be a 1st round pick this year with how he has played though, but could bust.  I would be more comfortable with Mac Jones honestly who is superior in the pocket, throws a more impressive deep ball in the pocket and just has overall better mechanics and footwork than Zach Wilson.  Zach Wilson has a nice flick of the wrist throw but is an odd release at times with off balance footwork.  Sure Patrick Mahomes pulls that off but still being that sloppy with footwork is generally not a good thing.

Mac Jones for example if kept in the pocket and needed to step up in the pocket and make throws would do it comfortably.  If Zach Wilson was kept in the pocket and not allowed to run around on the edges and extend plays, I do not think he would be as successful doing the typical yet boring things quarterbacks do when moving the football down field.  I heard the Johnny Manziel comp with Zach Wilson which is a good one, but Manziel was a much more dangerous runner than Wilson and much more a head case than Wilson is, so he has that going for him at least ahead of Johnny boy which is a good thing.

I'll give Mac Jones a chance, but I can't escape the feeling that he's another McCarron. He stands back with no pressure and throws to open WRs. There's something to be said for delivering an accurate ball, but it's hard to ignore the talent around him. Plus, Devonta Smith has a massive share of that passing game (like over 40% of Jones's yardage and over 50% of his TDs).

28 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'll give Mac Jones a chance, but I can't escape the feeling that he's another McCarron. He stands back with no pressure and throws to open WRs. There's something to be said for delivering an accurate ball, but it's hard to ignore the talent around him. Plus, Devonta Smith has a massive share of that passing game (like over 40% of Jones's yardage and over 50% of his TDs).

I kind of want nothing to do with Jones as a niner fan because it's almost impossible for me to truly eval him, tbh. He throws a gorgeous pass, but I really don't know a lot about the rest of his game because it feels like whenever I watch Bama, it feels like he's never in a situation that he's going to be in at the NFL level lol. 

Just now, Forge said:

I kind of want nothing to do with Jones as a niner fan because it's almost impossible for me to truly eval him, tbh. He throws a gorgeous pass, but I really don't know a lot about the rest of his game because it feels like whenever I watch Bama, it feels like he's never in a situation that he's going to be in at the NFL level lol. 

Yeah, I remember some people thinking McCarron was a top prospect until after the season when it became clear how the NFL viewed him. I'm not saying Jones is McCarron, but I am saying that when I've casually watched him, he's had it extremely easy. 

• Like 2