Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Both probably won’t be starters, but to me, Jones is a way better prospect than Trask. Seen some in-the-bucket throws by Mac this season that Trask can only dream of making & this is with having a worse receiving core(ever since Waddle went out) though Mac does have the better OLine.

8 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Both probably won’t be starters, but to me, Jones is a way better prospect than Trask. Seen some in-the-bucket throws by Mac this season that Trask can only dream of making & this is with having a worse receiving core(ever since Waddle went out) though Mac does have the better OLine.

Trask routinely makes in-the-bucket throws. I'm taking him over Jones without thinking twice. 

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

How I see it personally, yes. At least right now and what I've watched.

Lance is the ultimate boom or bust guy and I have a hard time placing them. I feel very good about Fields/Wilson on a competent team that builds around them/too their strengths. I have both in my top 10.

Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson could all be busts.  Lance is younger and less experienced but shows more football intelligence than Justin Fields has shown with the ball in his hands.  Zach has not played anyone this season of note so hard to tell, and the team he played that could play a little D he did not look great.  It is quite disappointing that BYU got into such a bad bowl game, would have much rather had him go up against Iowa or something instead of UCF, I want to see him get pressured big time, and UCF who barely plays defense and does not have much on that side of the ball outside of Grant the safety.  

But all have live arms and are good athletes so get overrated a bit because of how they can move around in the pocket and run the ball.  Same could be said for Tua, who had more talent around him than Mac but because he can create a little with his legs, moves around better he is rated higher than the less athletic pocket passer.  Maybe it should be like that in the NFL today but there are still pocket passers who do just fine in the league as well.  

Kellen Mond oddly enough has a better throwing motion and release than Justin Fields does, and he seems to put better touch on his passes.    Maybe his struggles are because of an injury but wasn't that injury in the title game and not before the title game?  He has more arm talent than Mond does but if one bashes Mac Jones because of how he looks because what is around him, same can be said for Fields who looked totally different without Olave, not having two legit receivers to throw to, Mond barely has one legit WR to throw to, his best options are a TE and a RB to pass the ball to.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson could all be busts.  Lance is younger and less experienced but shows more football intelligence than Justin Fields has shown with the ball in his hands.  Zach has not played anyone this season of note so hard to tell, and the team he played that could play a little D he did not look great.  It is quite disappointing that BYU got into such a bad bowl game, would have much rather had him go up against Iowa or something instead of UCF, I want to see him get pressured big time, and UCF who barely plays defense and does not have much on that side of the ball outside of Grant the safety.  

But all have live arms and are good athletes so get overrated a bit because of how they can move around in the pocket and run the ball.  Same could be said for Tua, who had more talent around him than Mac but because he can create a little with his legs, moves around better he is rated higher than the less athletic pocket passer.  Maybe it should be like that in the NFL today but there are still pocket passers who do just fine in the league as well.  

Kellen Mond oddly enough has a better throwing motion and release than Justin Fields does, and he seems to put better touch on his passes.    Maybe his struggles are because of an injury but wasn't that injury in the title game and not before the title game?  He has more arm talent than Mond does but if one bashes Mac Jones because of how he looks because what is around him, same can be said for Fields who looked totally different without Olave, not having two legit receivers to throw to, Mond barely has one legit WR to throw to, his best options are a TE and a RB to pass the ball to.

I'm not going to get in a back and forth man. I know you're not a big Fields guy, that's fine. I personally am. I've also never once said any of these guys were bust proof. That doesn't exist. I just said Lance to me has a stronger chance of it then Fields or Wilson in my eyes.

If you disagree with any of it, no problem. Someone asked how people viewed them and that's how I feel.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I'm not going to get in a back and forth man. I know you're not a big Fields guy, that's fine. I personally am. I've also never once said any of these guys were bust proof. That doesn't exist. I just said Lance to me has a stronger chance of it then Fields or Wilson in my eyes.

If you disagree, no problem.

The dude was 12 for 27, 114 yards and 2 INTs on the weekend.  How is that good exactly?  Northwestern is arguably one of the best coached defensive teams in college granted, but Newsome was out most of the game their best corner and it still did not matter.  It is not good when Olave is out and Fields cannot complete passes.  Will see what he looks like against Clemson.

The drop off from #1 to #2 in the draft is massive when talking QBs.  The difference between Lawrence and Field is crazy high, but again if Jalen Hurts can do well Fields might be able to because he is way more talented than Hurt was who has had early success.  I just think Trey Lance sees the football field better than Fields and makes better choices period.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

The dude was 12 for 27, 114 yards and 2 INTs on the weekend.  How is that good exactly?  Northwestern is arguably one of the best coached defensive teams in college granted, but Newsome was out most of the game their best corner and it still did not matter.  It is not good when Olave is out and Fields cannot complete passes.  Will see what he looks like against Clemson.

The drop off from #1 to #2 in the draft is massive when talking QBs.  The difference between Lawrence and Field is crazy high, but again if Jalen Hurts can do well Fields might be able to because he is way more talented than Hurt was who has had early success.  I just think Trey Lance sees the football field better than Fields and makes better choices period.  

tenor.gif?itemid=4152248

1 minute ago, ClutchDJ said:

If you like taking inferior prospects then agreed.

I don't. That's why I'm taking Trask. He's more advanced than Jones mentally, he's more skilled, and he has a better feel in the pocket (because he actually had to deal with a leaky OL). 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't. That's why I'm taking Trask. He's more advanced than Jones mentally, he's more skilled, and he has a better feel in the pocket (because he actually had to deal with a leaky OL). 

Definitely not mentally better.

More athletic, sure.

Better feel in the pocket is just straight up laughable & shows you barely haven’t watched Mac. Especially comparing him to AJ where AJ didn’t do a single thing better than Mac.

This is all the while with Trask having better receiving options once Waddle with out. Mac didn’t lose a beat like I thought he would. 

1 minute ago, ClutchDJ said:

Definitely not mentally better.

More athletic, sure.

Better feel in the pocket is just straight up laughable & shows you barely haven’t watched Mac. Especially comparing him to AJ where AJ didn’t do a single thing better than Mac.

This is all the while with Trask having better receiving options once Waddle with out. Mac didn’t lose a beat like I thought he would. 

More athletic? Trask is one of the least mobile QBs in college football. You want to talk about not having watched a guy. Trask is definitely mentally better, and it's not close. And yes, he has a better feel in the pocket. Jones rarely is pressured. Trask is constantly dealing with his RT getting beat, which has forced him to learn how to climb the pocket while scanning the field. As for the better receiving options, that might be true, but Jones compensated for Waddle's injury by giving Devonta Smith massive shares of his passing yardage and TDs. Trask spreads the ball around a lot more.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

More athletic? Trask is one of the least mobile QBs in college football. You want to talk about not having watched a guy. Trask is definitely mentally better, and it's not close. And yes, he has a better feel in the pocket. Jones rarely is pressured. Trask is constantly dealing with his RT getting beat, which has forced him to learn how to climb the pocket while scanning the field. As for the better receiving options, that might be true, but Jones compensated for Waddle's injury by giving Devonta Smith massive shares of his passing yardage and TDs. Trask spreads the ball around a lot more.

Yes, Trask is more athletic than Jones. That does not mean Trask is some athletic specimen. 

Mentally better? You just haven’t watched Mac & that’s fine.

Just because Trask has gotten pressured more doesn’t mean he has a better feel. Those two things doesn’t go together at all.

It’s no “might be true”, it is true. Pitts is arguably better than Smith while Toney is better than Bama’s 2nd receiving option by a good distance & Grimes is pretty good himself. Easy W for Florida there.

10 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Yes, Trask is more athletic than Jones. That does not mean Trask is some athletic specimen. 

Mentally better? You just haven’t watched Mac & that’s fine.

Just because Trask has gotten pressured more doesn’t mean he has a better feel. Those two things doesn’t go together at all.

It’s no “might be true”, it is true. Pitts is arguably better than Smith while Toney is better than Bama’s 2nd receiving option by a good distance & Grimes is pretty good himself. Easy W for Florida there.

Trask is most definitely not more athletic. If you can't get that right, you're not worth my time and energy.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Trask is most definitely not more athletic. If you can't get that right, you're not worth my time and energy.

Glad you know you had no rebuttal for the other statements since it’s clear you only watched Mac for one game, but it is typical for you swinging & missing.

Edited by ClutchDJ

17 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Glad you know you had no rebuttal for the other statements since it’s clear you only watched Mac for one game, but it is typical for you swinging & missing.

I don't need to rebut them. You haven't offered any analysis beyond, "No, you're wrong. You haven't watched him." Let me know when you have real analysis to offer. Then, we can talk.