Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It seems like yesterday that people were saying the 49ers had a franchise QB...

Some still say that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's fine. Not bad, just is what he is. If we have to go into next season with him, fine whatever. He can get the job done. He's just capped

57 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Still, Schaub and especially Foles have markedly stronger arms. My range projection on Trask by comp is between a 6'5 Matt Barkley. ...or a much less athletic Andy Dalton. Processing, I still feel Trask predetermines a lot of throws.

Looking more at Mac Jones, he's reminding me more of Kurt Cousins at MSU, ...or another Trevor Siemian on the other end. Both he and Trask are going to get a Burrow bump this year. It's near impossible not to view them in that type of context now. If your Carolina with Brady as the OC who coached Burrow, I think you've got to look hard at Jones after having a pretty similar year. But i'd be scared asf to take either of them high.

Fields is a brass balls Trubisky to me. The thing I liked most about Fields, his poise, is kind of swirling the drain this season.

Lawrence and Wilson are the clear #1 and #2 imo. And I'm wagering heavily that a team is trading up for Wilson at #2 if that's the Jets pick.

Yeah I agree, with how Wilson has looked and how poorly Fields has looked especially in that Big Ten title game, that could happen no question about it.  Just what teams needs a QB that bad, could see the Panthers wanting Wilson big time and they could trade up maybe for him.  Might not have to give up as much since they might pick the #4 spot so not moving up a ton so it could happen.  Or he could fall right to him.

My guess is the Jets get the #1 pick because the Colts might be sitting guys so maybe the Jaguars will win that last game of the year.  Browns should beat the Jets and would not be shocked if the Patriots beat them as well.  

Not sure the Falcons make a move for a QB honestly, same with Eagles of course with how Hurts has played but long term it would be a shock if he is some MVP type like Wentz was.   Wentz will be a starter somewhere but not idea where.  Giants not sure they give up on Daniel Jones already.  Denver give up on Lock already maybe and 49ers who knows.  Patriots and Bears absolutely could be looking for a QB.  

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Still, Schaub and especially Foles have markedly stronger arms. My range projection on Trask by comp is between a 6'5 Matt Barkley. ...or a much less athletic Andy Dalton. Processing, I still feel Trask predetermines a lot of throws.

Looking more at Mac Jones, he's reminding me more of Kurt Cousins at MSU, ...or another Trevor Siemian on the other end. Both he and Trask are going to get a Burrow bump this year. It's near impossible not to view them in that type of context now. If your Carolina with Brady as the OC who coached Burrow, I think you've got to look hard at Jones after having a pretty similar year. But i'd be scared asf to take either of them high.

Fields is a brass balls Trubisky to me. The thing I liked most about Fields, his poise, is kind of swirling the drain this season.

Lawrence and Wilson are the clear #1 and #2 imo. And I'm wagering heavily that a team is trading up for Wilson at #2 if that's the Jets pick.

Schaub and Foles did not have stronger arms. Schaub always had underwhelming arm strength, and he ultimately no longer became starting caliber when his arm declined to pop gun caliber. Foles has always had a weakish arm. That's why he looks better with taller targets. He floats a lot of passes. Good touch, though. As far as Jones is concerned, Cousins isn't a bad comparison. The issue with me is that there was plenty of film of Cousins dealing with pressure and NFL windows. It was easier to get a feel for him in adverse conditions like the ones he'd see in the NFL.

• Like 1

I'll never understand the need to look at collegiate stats when comparing QBs for the NFL. It's always about the tools and their mental acuity. Josh Allen is an NFL MVP candidate and his last season was brutal at Wyoming. You never really know how the collegiate gameplans or systems helped or hindered the prospect so the best thing you can do is look at the tools, anticipation and each individual throw. This is why I never soured on Jordan Love like most. The tools flashed huge time and again and he came off as a highly intelligent person in his interviews I saw. Anyone that watched that B1G title game knows the Ohio State gameplan was absolute ****. I'm sorry but some of you aren't cut out for actual prospect evaluation lol. Sounds rude but...sue me. I know which of you gentlemens' opinions I should put stock into and which I should just flat out ignore.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Schaub and Foles did not have stronger arms. Schaub always had underwhelming arm strength, and he ultimately no longer became starting caliber when his arm declined to pop gun caliber. Foles has always had a weakish arm. That's why he looks better with taller targets. He floats a lot of passes. Good touch, though. As far as Jones is concerned, Cousins isn't a bad comparison. The issue with me is that there was plenty of film of Cousins dealing with pressure and NFL windows. It was easier to get a feel for him in adverse conditions like the ones he'd see in the NFL.

Maybe I'm underrating Trask's arm but it seems a tick under Dalton's to me. Squarely disagree on Foles. He's always had a pretty good arm. Schaub I'm not as sure on but I think it was his decision making more than his velocity or deteriorating tools that sent him to the bench.

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure the Falcons make a move for a QB honestly, same with Eagles of course with how Hurts has played but long term it would be a shock if he is some MVP type like Wentz was.   Wentz will be a starter somewhere but not idea where.  Giants not sure they give up on Daniel Jones already.  Denver give up on Lock already maybe and 49ers who knows.  Patriots and Bears absolutely could be looking for a QB. 

I'd like to see Wentz in Denver. He'd utilize all that skill talent a lot better than Luck. In Indianapolis he'd be competing with Jacob Eason and I'm not sure that would work out the way most think. Remember hearing the Colts were pretty impressed with Eason in camp.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Maybe I'm underrating Trask's arm but it seems a tick under Dalton's to me. Squarely disagree on Foles. He's always had a pretty good arm. Schaub I'm not as sure on but I think it was his decision making more than his velocity or deteriorating tools that sent him to the bench.

I had to watch Foles be the Rams' starting QB. His arm is very underwhelming.

• Like 1

Just now, BrownLeader said:

Squarely disagree on Foles. He's always had a pretty good arm

Foles' knock has always been his arm. It's why he fell to the 3rd round in the 2012 draft. He's 6'6" and his arm was average coming out. There's nothing "pretty good" about his arm. It's very lackluster for his size and his knack for floating balls shows that. He can't drive a football to save his life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Foles' knock has always been his arm. It's why he fell to the 3rd round in the 2012 draft. He's 6'6" and his arm was average coming out. There's nothing "pretty good" about his arm. It's very lackluster for his size and his knack for floating balls shows that. He can't drive a football to save his life.

Find a scouting report coming out of Arizona that called his arm average or underwhelming. You won't.

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Find a scouting report coming out of Arizona that called his arm average or underwhelming. You won't.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/09/02/all-about-nick-foles/

Rob Rang, a senior draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, hasn’t been as high on Foles as some analysts.

NFLDraftScout.com has Foles as the ninth-best available quarterback for the 2012 draft, and Rang notes that in the spring the National Football Scouting service — which feeds early information to NFL some NFL teams — rated Foles in the seventh-round range.

“I do know some scouts who are very intrigued by him, and they think the offense is limiting his opportunities to show off his arm,” Rang said.

And then there are some scouts — and quite frankly, scouts I respect a little bit more — who have some real reservations about his arm strength. But you get him in an all-star game, and who knows what happens?

“He certainly looks like a quarterback in terms of he’s a big, strong kid. He’s can physically hold up to NFL pass rushers.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Okay, so a QB with prototypical size, insanely good accuracy, a supposedly big arm and production fell to the back end of the 3rd round, why?

Do me a favor, go back and watch Foles at Arizona, don't just google "Nick Foles scouting report" and find some hyperlink to Walter Football. Show me the NFL above average arm. Why did that not show on NFL tape then? Did he just suddenly lose arm strength when he got on an NFL field? Look at the tape, don't regurgitate some **** you read.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Okay, so a QB with prototypical size, insanely good accuracy, a supposedly big arm and production fell to the back end of the 3rd round, why?

Do me a favor, go back and watch Foles at Arizona, don't just google "Nick Foles scouting report" and find some hyperlink to Walter Football. Show me the NFL above average arm. Why did that not show on NFL tape then? Did he just suddenly lose arm strength when he got on an NFL field? Look at the tape, don't regurgitate some **** you read.

It seems to me that people tend to get fooled with 6'5+" QBs when it comes to arm strength. Because those guys are so tall, they don't have to throw with the same trajectory of shorter QBs. It gives the illusion of a strong arm. It's how people believed that guys like Mike Glennon and Brock Osweiler also had strong arms. Once they got to the NFL, it became obvious quickly that they had very mediocre arms.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

It seems to me that people tend to get fooled with 6'5+" QBs when it comes to arm strength. Because those guys are so tall, they don't have to throw with the same trajectory of shorter QBs. It gives the illusion of a strong arm. It's how people believed that guys like Mike Glennon and Brock Osweiler also had strong arms. Once they got to the NFL, it became obvious quickly that they had very mediocre arms.

Exactly and that's why I always mention "for his size" when evaluating arm strength. If a 6'6" QB has the same arm strength as a 6'0" Chase Daniel, he does not have a good arm. Just a quick review of even a Foles highlight tape will show he didn't have a good arm coming out of Arizona. His deep balls floated huge, his drive on intermediate throws was very underwhelming for someone with a 6'6" base. There was nothing about Nick Foles's arm that read NFL strong. 

• Like 1