Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Jones reminds me of A.J. McCarron. He has a better arm by a bit, but he's the same sort of player. He makes the throws, but he has an easy job. Trask is a far, far better QB. Florida's RG and RT suck. Trask is a bit of a gunslinger, which leads to some questionable decisions. But he's very skilled, precise, and smart. I still say Matt Schaub. Think he'll be a second round pick who has a solid career and starts for awhile.

McCarron could never....

----

I think Jones gets to 2nd and 3rd reads faster than Trask. He's got a stronger arm, faster delivery, and is more mobile. Mac Jones reminds me of Matt Ryan. Trask is a Baymax Kurt Cousins.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Jones gets to 2nd and 3rd reads faster than Trask. He's got a stronger arm, faster delivery, and is more mobile. Mac Jones reminds me of Matt Ryan. Trask is a Baymax Kurt Cousins.

Not sure using a highlight video is the right way to go about supporting your argument.  That highlight was full of his WRs having to go up and grab the ball on throws that should have hit them between the numbers and the scheme opening up some open WRs.  If you want to argue he's better than Trask, sure go right ahead.  But he's not close to the top 3 (Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson).

Just now, CWood21 said:

Not sure using a highlight video is the right way to go about supporting your argument.  That highlight was full of his WRs having to go up and grab the ball on throws that should have hit them between the numbers and the scheme opening up some open WRs.  If you want to argue he's better than Trask, sure go right ahead.  But he's not close to the top 3 (Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson).

*marked at .48 just for that specific beautiful throw. ;/

..Fields ain't better than Jones.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Yes.  And quite frankly I don't think it's close.  You'll find at least one NFL-caliber throw in a higlight film.

EDIT: And that's coming from someone who is lukewarm on Fields.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

McCarron could never....

----

I watched the game. Florida doesn't cover anybody. Kellen Mond lit them up. McCarron could have quite easily done that. And no, Jones doesn't get to his 2nd and 3rd reads faster. The guy has all day in the pocket. He has an easy job.

EDIT: As for the play you chose, it was a routine throw. He had a clean pocket. Elam bit too much on the underneath route. There was a massive window for that flag route. If you look at the best five throws from last night, I expect four of them belonged to Trask. He was the guy having to move in the pocket and throwing into tight windows.

Edited by jrry32

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

I'm not sure what the big deal is with that throw. That's a throw I kind of expect a qb to make with no pressure and an okay amount of separation over the top and underneath. 

With the Jets winning finally today, the Jaguars are now the front runner for #1.

Given that Jacksonville is Southern (and unlike Florida's other NFL markets is characteristically Southern) this could encourage Trevor Lawrence to commit towards the draft if the Jaguars earn the top pick.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure what the big deal is with that throw. That's a throw I kind of expect a qb to make with no pressure and an okay amount of separation over the top and underneath. 

It is the ball velocity and the timing on the throw, plus putting it where only his guy had a chance to catch it.  Sure DeVonta Smith is an absolute dynamo, that I agree with.  But people need to stop talking about Mac Jones as if he is Greg McElroy out there or something.  The kid has high end arm talent and throws arguably best deep ball in college football.  

As if throwing a football like this is a bad thing, how dare you throw it right on time, to the receiver who does not have to break stride, with enough air on it so the receiver can go get it.  So all of a sudden doing that is a negative because he has good receivers to throw to?

Mac-Jones-Alabama.gif

39 minutes ago, pf9 said:

With the Jets winning finally today, the Jaguars are now the front runner for #1.

Given that Jacksonville is Southern (and unlike Florida's other NFL markets is characteristically Southern) this could encourage Trevor Lawrence to commit towards the draft if the Jaguars earn the top pick.

He already committed a week ago.

Well, if the Falcons can convince the Jaguars to trade them the #1 pick, being able to land a hometown hero could spark a huge turnaround in fortunes.

Like when the Cavaliers had LeBron James over two separate stints, during the second they won their first NBA title and Cleveland's first major league title in any sport in 52 years

18 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Well, if the Falcons can convince the Jaguars to trade them the #1 pick, being able to land a hometown hero could spark a huge turnaround in fortunes.

Like when the Cavaliers had LeBron James over two separate stints, during the second they won their first NBA title and Cleveland's first major league title in any sport in 52 years

There is zero chance whoever get #1 pick is going to trade it away and look like the idiots of the century. Jax now in the drivers seat would never trade away Trevor Lawrence and continue to be an NFL doormat with no QB..