Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Zach Wilson took a bit of a nosedive for me. I wasn't enamored with him this year and just didn't feel like he was the best player on the field against Coastal Carolina last week. His level of competition this year has basically been CUSA/SunBelt, and a lot of times, he's just looked really average to me outside of big stats against poor competition. 

I'd take him in the 3rd, but no earlier. Kid needs some time and seasoning to not be a 1-hit wonder. He's definitely got tools to work with though.

Real question...why does nobody ever bring up the injury history with Wilson? I feel like that's a thing (maybe just snakebitten being a niner fan). But he's already had hand and shoulder surgery.

9 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Carson Strong is a solid all around prospect and eligible.

Colorado QB Sam Noyer has come out of nowhere and looked pretty adept with his mechanics and arm talent.

Ian Book is finally having a solid year and has good tools.

Always been a bit of a fan of Jack Coan, who just returned from a broken foot.

D'Eriq King isn't much different than P.J. Walker.

@QB_Iso I think Ehlinger is clutch and can scramble but, despite improving, he's still trying to prove he can be a passer. He reminds me of a rugged Trace McSorely or spread Kevin Hogan. He could bounce around the league awhile if he looks good in post/mini camps but I'd be surprised if he's much more than an emergency level guy.

Carson Strong isn't a declare candidate IMO.  He's a rSO and he'll likely return.  Maybe next year.  Noyer doesn't have enough tape on him for anyone to think much of him.  Book's numbers aren't really any better than they were last year, the only difference is Notre Dame is winning.  He's a non-prospect for me.  D'Eriq King needs to change positions.  I'll let @beekay414 handle the Coan situation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'll give Mac Jones a chance, but I can't escape the feeling that he's another McCarron. He stands back with no pressure and throws to open WRs. There's something to be said for delivering an accurate ball, but it's hard to ignore the talent around him. Plus, Devonta Smith has a massive share of that passing game (like over 40% of Jones's yardage and over 50% of his TDs).

True but when Waddle went down Mac Jones production should have went down with it, that was a massive loss for that offense yet they are still moving the ball well.  Granted the run game is spot on and the offensive line is the best in college football arguably.  So sure he could be another McCarron possibly, I just love Mac's pocket presence and it is not like he is totally protected all the time, when he gets pressured he does not scramble or run out of it and stands tall and steps up in the pocket and makes spot on throws.  Maybe it is the stadiums without fans and less pressure, but whatever it is Mac Jones is having a season similar to Joe Burrow last year statistically and has made even more of a jump from one year to the next than Joe did.  

Could all of it be DeVonta Smith?  Sure I love him as a receiver and he is absolutely dominating out there but so did the LSU receivers last year and Burrow still got the credit despite the superior receivers they had and weapons they had last year which are better than what Bama has currently.  After Waddle went out he has played 5 games without him and they have not missed a beat.  

Will be interesting to see where Mac Jones goes and how he does, absolutely zero chance he makes it out of the 2nd round though but my guess he will be picked in the late 1st round.  I would take his play over Kyle Trask who has also been amazing this year, will be great to watch the two go up against each other and see what happens.  Having it easy can be said for a lot of highly ranked QBs this year like Zach Wilson especially and even Justin Fields before he ran up against Indiana.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Carson Strong isn't a declare candidate IMO.  He's a rSO and he'll likely return.  Maybe next year.  Noyer doesn't have enough tape on him for anyone to think much of him.  Book's numbers aren't really any better than they were last year, the only difference is Notre Dame is winning.  He's a non-prospect for me.  D'Eriq King needs to change positions.  I'll let @beekay414 handle the Coan situation.

No. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Real question...why does nobody ever bring up the injury history with Wilson? I feel like that's a thing (maybe just snakebitten being a niner fan). But he's already had hand and shoulder surgery.

Imo, it's the advancements in medicine. 

Injuries can be lost time, but guys seem to rebound fairly well anymore. Or they think the injury bug lessens up once someone gets into the NFL. A major surgery might pop up, but otherwise...well, we're watching Alex Smith stand in the pocket against the Steelers in 2020. 

• Like 2

Coan isn't an NFL starter. He'll be a fine back-up or something due to how well he knows the game but his tools are not NFL caliber. He can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Everything in our offense, when Coan plays, is intermediate and even then, it's meh. His best case scenario is Scott Tolzien, another Badger who thrived in the intermediate game only. There's no upside to Jack Coan.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Coan isn't an NFL starter. He'll be a fine back-up or something due to how well he knows the game but his tools are not NFL caliber. He can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Everything in our offense, when Coan plays, is intermediate and even then, it's meh. His best case scenario is Scott Tolzien, another Badger who thrived in the intermediate game only. There's no upside to Jack Coan.

Discounting the on-field deficiencies, I'd grab him as a UDFA. If he indeed knows the game well, OC could be in his nearer future a'la Kellen Moore/Kevin O'Connell. There's always at least some value to having a deep reserve backup with a head for the game.

47 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Discounting the on-field deficiencies, I'd grab him as a UDFA. If he indeed knows the game well, OC could be in his nearer future a'la Kellen Moore/Kevin O'Connell. There's always at least some value to having a deep reserve backup with a head for the game.

Yeah there's little issue with him as a back-up, know the playbook/extra coach type. He just has no upside. Won't kill ya as a back-up but won't win ya any games either. Definitely a coach in the future.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, Forge said:

You are not alone in this concern I was watching some of his clips yesterday after the Washington game and that thought did cross my mind. We are probably extra sensitive to this being 49er fans.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 2:00 PM, beekay414 said:

Purdy's mechanics/footwork are a mess and his arm isn't strong at all. It's fine on deep balls, due to his touch on the throws, but that's not what I'm talking about. I don't see the intermediate depth arm strength or drive on the ball.

Update: He's not a NFL starter. Should 100% return to school and do everything he can to work on his arm strength.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Update: He's not a NFL starter. Should 100% return to school and do everything he can to work on his arm strength.

Was he ever?  He's a non-prospect right now as far as I'm concerned.  You saw the bad in him today, but he was always going to be a guy who looked better in college then in the pros.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was he ever?  He's a non-prospect right now as far as I'm concerned.  You saw the bad in him today, but he was always going to be a guy who looked better in college then in the pros.

I've never thought he was, no, but I've seen/heard it from others. 

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I felt the same. I think his upside is colt / kody kessler type. Fun guy, has nice traits, but no real upside as an nfl qb and I don't have any desire to draft backups

• Like 1