Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Trask looks more impressive to me then Mac Jones. He makes too many mistakes, but he’s showing me playmaking ability while I see Mac Jones as a guy who is the beneficiary of playing with elite talent. His arm isn’t particularly impressive and I’ve seen multiple off target throws to DeVonta Smith. He’s also always front running and doesn’t have to press. I see Jones as a career backup 5th round pick type of guy, while Trask looks like a low grade starter/top backup in the Andy Dalton mold.

• Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Trask looks more impressive to me then Mac Jones. He makes too many mistakes, but he’s showing me playmaking ability while I see Mac Jones as a guy who is the beneficiary of playing with elite talent. His arm isn’t particularly impressive and I’ve seen multiple off target throws to DeVonta Smith. He’s also always front running and doesn’t have to press. I see Jones as a career backup 5th round pick type of guy, while Trask looks like a low grade starter/top backup in the Andy Dalton mold.

I have trask higher

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have trask higher

Yup. He’s definitely the superior player IMO. I don’t really watch college football, typically I just watch prospect tape... because it leaves me far more time for activities (Stepbrothers reference- sort of). However this matchup was far too intriguing to not watch live. Particularly with Pitts and Smith as options I hope fall to the Ravens (however unlikely), but yeah... I just assumed Mac Jones improved far more from last year. He has, but I’m still not impressed with his NFL prospects. Looks like a good college QB. Nothing I saw out of his 400+ yards today truly impressed me much. Smith and Harris HAD to have accounted for like 70-75% of his passing production just based off of watching. One things for sure, Smith better not lose Heisman to Mac Jones though, Smith is CLEARLLLYLLLYLYLYLYLYLYLYLYL the far superior and important player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Jones reminds me of A.J. McCarron. He has a better arm by a bit, but he's the same sort of player. He makes the throws, but he has an easy job. Trask is a far, far better QB. Florida's RG and RT suck. Trask is a bit of a gunslinger, which leads to some questionable decisions. But he's very skilled, precise, and smart. I still say Matt Schaub. Think he'll be a second round pick who has a solid career and starts for awhile.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Jones reminds me of A.J. McCarron. He has a better arm by a bit, but he's the same sort of player. He makes the throws, but he has an easy job. Trask is a far, far better QB. Florida's RG and RT suck. Trask is a bit of a gunslinger, which leads to some questionable decisions. But he's very skilled, precise, and smart. I still say Matt Schaub. Think he'll be a second round pick who has a solid career and starts for awhile.

Yeah that Schaub comparison looks very good. I was mentioning Dalton as more of a type of career arc vs a legit comparison. But Schaub as a comparison looks very good. He could probably lead a top NFL offense if he gets connected with the right OC, though I don’t think Trask will ever be elite.

Honestly, I don’t think the two QBs are even in the same zip code. In terms of Jones, McCarron makes sense. I can’t say I’ve extensively scouted all these guys, but that one works for me from the little I cared to see of McCarron. In my head I was thinking Fromm, but since I don’t watch enough college football, I figure there’s likely far better comparisons. But either way, I see a guy that at best comes into a good NFL situation with a top shelf pass blocking OL and some great WR weapons and can deliver solid game manager type results, but if tasked with anything remotely resembling putting the team on his back, his flaws will be greatly magnified.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah that Schaub comparison looks very good. I was mentioning Dalton as more of a type of career arc vs a legit comparison. But Schaub as a comparison looks very good. He could probably lead a top NFL offense if he gets connected with the right OC, though I don’t think Trask will ever be elite.

Honestly, I don’t think the two QBs are even in the same zip code. In terms of Jones, McCarron makes sense. I can’t say I’ve extensively scouted all these guys, but that one works for me from the little I cared to see of McCarron. In my head I was thinking Fromm, but since I don’t watch enough college football, I figure there’s likely far better comparisons. But either way, I see a guy that at best comes into a good NFL situation with a top shelf pass blocking OL and some great WR weapons and can deliver solid game manager type results, but if tasked with anything remotely resembling putting the team on his back, his flaws will be greatly magnified.

Yeah, I don't think Trask will be elite either. His physical limitations loom large. I can point to guys like late-career Manning and Brees who were still elite with underwhelming arms and little mobility, but they both had played in the NFL for a very long time at that point and knew how to diagnose just about anything defenses threw at them. Frankly, Trask's decision making reminds me a lot of Goff. That's not a bad thing. But what it does mean is that he tends to make his bad throws when he either is forced to hold the ball too long or when he is under pressure. (He, like any other young QB, gets fooled occasionally too.) 

But Trask's mental acuity really shines. He is a guy who has no issues diagnosing a defense, processing what's in front of him, and going to the right matchup. He's also very skilled (touch, precision, eye discipline, movement in the pocket, etc.). Ball placement isn't elite (step or two below). Arm strength is middling. Mobility is bad. Frankly, if I am the New Orleans Saints, I'd strongly consider drafting him at the end of the first round. That's a scheme that fits his skillset very well.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I don't think Trask will be elite either. His physical limitations loom large. I can point to guys like late-career Manning and Brees who were still elite with underwhelming arms and little mobility, but they both had played in the NFL for a very long time at that point and knew how to diagnose just about anything defenses threw at them. Frankly, Trask's decision making reminds me a lot of Goff. That's not a bad thing. But what it does mean is that he tends to make his bad throws when he either is forced to hold the ball too long or when he is under pressure. (He, like any other young QB, gets fooled occasionally too.) 

But Trask's mental acuity really shines. He is a guy who has no issues diagnosing a defense, processing what's in front of him, and going to the right matchup. He's also very skilled (touch, precision, eye discipline, movement in the pocket, etc.). Ball placement isn't elite (step or two below). Arm strength is middling. Mobility is bad. Frankly, if I am the New Orleans Saints, I'd strongly consider drafting him at the end of the first round. That's a scheme that fits his skillset very well.

I could also see the Panthers as a quality situation for him to go to as well. Similar offensive system, a team that won’t be in the 1st round QB market, but might have interest in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. Though I suppose this assumes he falls that far. Another landing spot that wouldn’t be too bad either could be Pittsburgh, he’d certainly upgrade their backup QB situation.

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Mac Jones was built to play college ball and not take a single snap as an NFL starter. 

So let me get this straight, he will not take a snap as a NFL starter?

Those say he only is productive because of what is around him, think Bryce Young right now would do those same things on that same offense if it was him in the game and not Jones?  Or same for those who dis Trask, think Emory Jones would do what Trask is doing right now?  

Jones and Trask are both running their offenses about as good as you can run an offense.  Both faced defenses that have multiple pro prospects on it last night and both made each defense look like it basically did not even exist out there.  There is something to be said with how well they both throwing the ball from the pocket, how accurate they are, how they throw on time passes with great touch and have done so at a crazy high level all season long.  Their metal processing and how they see the field is absolutely elite.  Sure they do not run some great 40 time but since when is playing QB about how fast you run a 40?

Mind you Trask is a RS SR, Jones is a RS JR and might not even come out for the draft.  Jones first season as a full time starter, if he has not been impressive, than what the hell is impressive exactly?  

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

AJ McCarron?  Mac Jones has a way better arm than AJ McCarron.  AJ was more emotional and arguably a more inspirational leader, but Mac can throw darts out there and his deep ball is better than arguably anyone in college.  So having a good deep ball throw means you will be a bad NFL player?  Underrated the guy, who cares he will be a decent pro and has a chance to be a great one, if Kirk Cousins can succeed and do what he has done in the NFL based on what he did in college, Mac Jones can do the same thing.  Kid is a great competitor, great worker and his arm talent puts him ahead of AJ all day long.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So let me get this straight, he will not take a snap as a NFL starter?

Those say he only is productive because of what is around him, think Bryce Young right now would do those same things on that same offense if it was him in the game and not Jones?  Or same for those who dis Trask, think Emory Jones would do what Trask is doing right now?  

Jones and Trask are both running their offenses about as good as you can run an offense.  Both faced defenses that have multiple pro prospects on it last night and both made each defense look like it basically did not even exist out there.  There is something to be said with how well they both throwing the ball from the pocket, how accurate they are, how they throw on time passes with great touch and have done so at a crazy high level all season long.  Their metal processing and how they see the field is absolutely elite.  Sure they do not run some great 40 time but since when is playing QB about how fast you run a 40?

Mind you Trask is a RS SR, Jones is a RS JR and might not even come out for the draft.  Jones first season as a full time starter, if he has not been impressive, than what the hell is impressive exactly?  

AJ McCarron?  Mac Jones has a way better arm than AJ McCarron.  AJ was more emotional and arguably a more inspirational leader, but Mac can throw darts out there and his deep ball is better than arguably anyone in college.  So having a good deep ball throw means you will be a bad NFL player?  Underrated the guy, who cares he will be a decent pro and has a chance to be a great one, if Kirk Cousins can succeed and do what he has done in the NFL based on what he did in college, Mac Jones can do the same thing.  Kid is a great competitor, great worker and his arm talent puts him ahead of AJ all day long.  

Did you read what I wrote? The other guy compared him to McCaron and like I said I don’t watch college football, so as much as I’ve seen... that’s a fair enough comparison. My thought was Jake Fromm, another QB that I don’t think is an actual NFL starter, just a career backup... similar to what I see from Mac Jones... he’s just another Fromm.

In terms of the rest, I don’t watch all the games, but with QBs playing for stud programs... playing the best competition is really the only way I can truly evaluate them and Mac Jones had multiple balls that were off Lamar Jackson-esq accuracy, which works for Jackson because he’s an elite level athlete. But with Mac, he’s not. His ball placement didn’t impress me yesterday.

I saw multiple throws where DeVonta Smith’s elite catch radius made his throws look a lot better than what they actually were. I saw him throwing to wide open windows consistently. Nothing I saw from him was impressive. You can see a clear difference from an NFL starting QB like Tua... and a guy like Mac Jones.

Just because a guy isn’t an NFL starter doesn’t mean he’s not an NFL QB... Jones is certainly an NFL QB. But his peak for me looks to be that of a game manager within a great offensive scheme (like NO) that’s carried to success because he has plenty of components around him, making him look better than what he really was. Perhaps having an outlier season in a Case Keenum type of fashion. I don’t see it with him.