Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Likely not for someone of his age, and athleticism. The odds of him having severe symptoms are low.

That being said, it's a pretty nasty virus that does leave some people with long lasting heart, lung, and/or other organ/tissue damage..... You'll likely get to see him in more collegiate games this year at the very least, I wouldn't start worrying unless he gets held out of those, or plays in those and starts looking noticeably different/fatigued. Regardless, even if he does sit out the rest of the college season, NFL team docs will make sure they get an idea of his health in the combine medicals.

He will still be #1 but I can attest to the fatigue. Had it, wasnt bad other than slight out of breath and fatigue. 6 weeks later, same symptoms. Its a real bummer. Got me to basically quite boozing which never hurts. The hangovers now are like 5 times worse. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, BrownLeader said:

...I'm not quite getting the hype for Fields. I've gone back closer over Nebraska, and 2019 Indiana & Penn St. Accuracy looks solid when he has space and he has a solid arm. But he's not going through many reads from what I can tell, doesn't have the quickest release, doesn't exactly shine under pressure. He's a good runner but not especially quick or elusive. Looks like a typical big school thrower/runner to me. In fact he and Lance strike me as your basic 2nd round type development prospects, like a Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer

To anyone...am I missing something?

Positives--- he is a prototype and will test extremely well at the combine. He has a great blend of size and athletisism. Tremendous down field accuracy that rivals any QB in the country. Really good throwing mechanics and doesn't need a whole lot of tweaking. Limits mistakes and doesn't turn the ball over. Very accurate passer yet has arm strength to make any throw. Has shown he can make NFL level throws "wow" type throws. He only has 3 career INTs I believe including playoffs. Smart player. He has developed and shown improvement in almost all areas of his game since arriving at OSU which means he is coachable. He's also a leader, the type of guy you could easily see being the face of your franchise. Not a 1 read passer, can read defenses and go through progressions.

Negatives-- questionable when under pressure. Has a habit of putting his head down and running when he feels pressure coming instead of stepping up. A little bit of a long delivery which might lead to some sacks/FFs in the NFL if he doesn't work on quickening his release. Sometimes struggles feeling pressure and has a questionable mental clock. Needs to work on 1.2.3.out with the ball. Stuff he can get by with in college that won't translate to the NFL.

Not saying he is flawless but there are very very few holes in his game. His height/weight/speed for a QB is fantastic and has all of the arm talent in the world combined with great leadership ability (think Deshawn Watson coming out). The only area he needs work in that would prevent him from being a great pro is his processing speed in the pocket. If he learns to play with a little more urgency in the pocket he will be a great great pro QB.

• Like 1

I understand the Deshaun Watson vibes with him. Watson was a guy that I loved as a player but was lukewarm on as a prospect. Thought he'd become an unentitled Robert Griffin. ..turned out even better.

How a guy with tools will take to learning a pro scheme and be able to cycle through reads while maintaining poise is the big riddle on QBs. 

OSU's offense manufactures a lot of simple throws for him and he's painfully deliberate at times with his release and reads. But the arm, accuracy and leadership are there and I'm probably underestimating his ability to progess/be coached up a little.

His best trait to me so far is the poise. He's not especially good under heavy pressure as far as anticipation, but his ability to mantain poise and accuracy as he improvises or scrambles is special imo.

While I can see the Watson or Dak comps I also see some Trubisky there.

Edited by BrownLeader

Zach Wilson is my QB2, i'd be ecstatic if the Patriots drafted him but I think he'll be gone before we pick.

I think he's the 3rd QB off the board behind Lawrence and Fields, but ahead of Lance who i'm not sold on.

I hate Trask as a prospect, I just see bust.

The one guy I can't make my mind up on who hasn't been discussed much in this thread is Mac Jones. Is it the talent around him or is he getting unfairly overlooked?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

Zach Wilson is my QB2, i'd be ecstatic if the Patriots drafted him but I think he'll be gone before we pick.

I think he's the 3rd QB off the board behind Lawrence and Fields, but ahead of Lance who i'm not sold on.

The one guy I can't make my mind up on who hasn't been discussed much in this thread is Mac Jones. Is it the talent around him or is he getting unfairly overlooked?

I’m right there with you on Wilson.

The quick release, arm strength, playmaking ability all have me very intrigued with him at 2 (Jags), if he does come out.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

I think it's still wait and see on Jones. I think most still see another McCarron but if he keeps it up it's awfully similar to Burrow. He had a scramble last game that surprised me with some sneaky mobility.

Alright MAC fans (provided you exist), what's the digs on Kyle Vantrease from Buffalo?

Watched some of the Miami-Buffalo game and he seemed to make some really nice passes into tight windows. They don't seem to pass a whole lot, and I know the DBs aren't the greatest, but he has some good size and doesn't appear to cave under duress. 

Anything to him as a late round flyer in 2021 or 22?

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Watching Kyle Trask every week, I see the good and bad, but man, this Arkansas game is just insane. When you protect this guy, he can really sling it. Accuracy, touch, football IQ, and mental processing ability.

But seriously, anybody wanting to evaluate Trask at his best, watch the Arkansas game. The touch, accuracy, and mental acuity were just off the charts. Made a number of NFL throws.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But seriously, anybody wanting to evaluate Trask at his best, watch the Arkansas game. The touch, accuracy, and mental acuity were just off the charts. Made a number of NFL throws.

The touchdown to shorter was really nice. Big boy throw. 

He's had a few this year. He doesn't have to make that many big boy throws, but he does make them (td to pitts at the end of the half against ole miss was another one).

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The touchdown to shorter was really nice. Big boy throw. 

He's had a few this year. He doesn't have to make that many big boy throws, but he does make them (td to pitts at the end of the half against ole miss was another one).

His TD on the seam shot to Zip was impressive too. Looked off the safety and then lofted it over the LB. Frankly, both TDs to Zip were impressive. The other was a NFL veteran throw (anticipated where Zip would be and then threw to empty space in the end-zone with an overload blitz coming at him). His physical tools are very average, but his mental acuity and accuracy are great. Just needs to cut down on forcing throws on plays where he has to hold the ball.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:12 AM, beekay414 said:

Is Desmond Ridder a legit NFL QB prospect? He flashes some nice NFL type throws.

I don’t see an NFL caliber QB when I watch him... yet. Struggles a ton on the deep ball, just no feel. His 67% completion rate is very inflated, I do not think of him as particularly accurate. However, NFL size, athleticism, arm and great production. We know how much NFL loves that toolset so I’d imagine he is on BBs. Think it’d do him well to return to school and keep working on that accuracy.