Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If Fields looks bad against Clemson, I feel like his draft stock will plummet. Definitely would not the #2 QB anymore, and could be picked outside of the Top 10.

Honestly, at this point, I'm more curious about who goes first between he and Lance for that #3 spot. That's how much I'm out on him potentially being the second QB taken lol. I think that there's a better chance he gets picked 4th than there is 2nd. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honestly, at this point, I'm more curious about who goes first between he and Lance for that #3 spot. That's how much I'm out on him potentially being the second QB taken lol. I think that there's a better chance he gets picked 4th than there is 2nd. 

In my first mock yesterday I actually had: 

1. Lawrence - JAX

2. Wilson - NYJ

9. Lance - CAR

14. Fields - SF

20. Trask - CHI

Just kind of fell that way to be honest. Reason Lance goes before Fields is because Fields is a horrendous fit in Joe Brady’s system, while Lance fits like a glove. 

In reality, the 49ers might have to trade up from 14 to 11-12. But honestly Fields being the 4th QB taken is looking like a huge realistic possibility, especially with a bad showing against Clemson. 

8 hours ago, lod01 said:

See Cam Newton as to why Lance & Fields will destroy any chances of long term success for whatever team drafts them. At 31, he is already done. A franchise QB should be a 15-20 year guy, especially in 2020 when you cannot hit the QB like you used to...unless he is running.

Cam took the Panthers to a SB and a MVP. If either Fields or Lance accomplish that they will have lived up to their draft stock. 15-20 years? Do you expect or hold the expectations that any QB taken highly should have Brady or Manning like run? That's unrealistic.

Edited by Chargers
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Let's be real...with Fields...doesn't it mostly come down to how you feel about his mental aptitude? The guy is a slow processor and doesn't have great field vision / read the field well. If you can put him in a one / two simple read system, I think he'll be good. And I think he'll be effective no matter what but I'm not sure about long term viability. If you feel that he's going to get better at understanding what he's seeing on the field, I Think everyone should be bullish on him. If you're not, you're concerned...especially when he starts playing masked zone coverages in tighter spaces. 

I haven't decided how I feel about him as a niner yet. I would think that the accuracy would play amazingly well but I think Shanny would be going nuts at some of the issues. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

In my first mock yesterday I actually had: 

1. Lawrence - JAX

2. Wilson - NYJ

9. Lance - CAR

14. Fields - SF

20. Trask - CHI

Just kind of fell that way to be honest. Reason Lance goes before Fields is because Fields is a horrendous fit in Joe Brady’s system, while Lance fits like a glove. 

In reality, the 49ers might have to trade up from 14 to 11-12. But honestly Fields being the 4th QB taken is looking like a huge realistic possibility, especially with a bad showing against Clemson. 

Don't really see Atlanta passing up on Justin Fields.  The fit there is pretty obvious.  He's a Georgia native, can play behind Matt Ryan for a year or two.  They could opt for an EDGE, which is probably their biggest need but have any of the EDGE really separated themselves?  Philadelphia, Detroit, Carolina, and Denver are all current top 10 picks that could go QB.  If Jets don't take Wilson at 2, I think they trade down.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't really see Atlanta passing up on Justin Fields.  The fit there is pretty obvious.  He's a Georgia native, can play behind Matt Ryan for a year or two.  They could opt for an EDGE, which is probably their biggest need but have any of the EDGE really separated themselves?  Philadelphia, Detroit, Carolina, and Denver are all current top 10 picks that could go QB.  If Jets don't take Wilson at 2, I think they trade down.

Ryan is far from done imo. Get him a solid OC and he’ll look like a Top 5 QB again. Everyone said this about Ryan in 2017 but he had a horrendous coordinator. Comes back in 2018 with the solid Bama hire and has a Top 3 QB season. Then in 2019 they hire Koetter and I instantly knew Atlantas Offense was gonna be trash. And keeping him two years in a row is such a dumb move on Quinns part. 

Get Ryan an OC and he’ll tear the NFL a new one, again. 

Only way Atlanta drafts a QB is if they trade Ryan to the 49ers for their 1st. I don’t think they will have someone sit behind Ryan, because I see Ryan having another four very productive seasons in this league. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Ryan is far from done imo. Get him a solid OC and he’ll look like a Top 5 QB again. Everyone said this about Ryan in 2017 but he had a horrendous coordinator. Comes back in 2018 with the solid Bama hire and has a Top 3 QB season. Then in 2019 they hire Koetter and I instantly knew Atlantas Offense was gonna be trash. And keeping him two years in a row is such a dumb move on Quinns part. 

Get Ryan an OC and he’ll tear the NFL a new one, again. 

Only way Atlanta drafts a QB is if they trade Ryan to the 49ers for their 1st. I don’t think they will have someone sit behind Ryan, because I see Ryan having another four very productive seasons in this league. 

It has NOTHING to do with being done.  It has more to do with him already being 35 years old, and the Falcons probably aren't going to be Super Bowl contenders in the next couple of years.  Develop a QB behind him this year and then flip Matt Ryan next year.  The Falcons aren't trading him this offseason, they'd eat even more cap space then he's already eating up.  He won't be dealt until next year at the earliest IMO.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I think the Cincinnati kid Ridder is going to get some close attention in the next few months if he declares, which appears likely. 

I think he goes day 2.  I don't think he sneaks into the first, but there's still a long way to go in that regard. I could see him slipping into that Trask / Jones tier. 

If the Saints aren't able to trade up for a guy like Wilson or Fields, then I think Desmond Ridder would be an intriguing option. In terms of tools he checks most of the boxes. Reminds me a bit of Colin Kaepernick similar size, deceptively fast with their long stride, and plenty of arm to make all the throws. At times, looks really accurate, but then has stretches of missing some fairly easy throws. In the games I saw, I also liked his ability to maneuver around while scanning the field to make plays with his arm before running. Feel like he would work well with a guy like Kamara.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:17 PM, jrry32 said:
On 12/28/2020 at 5:34 AM, BayRaider said:

Man I actually was really liking Draft Day until that part. They needed to come up with something better to give character concerns... teammates not attending birthday parties? Seriously? Dumbest thing ever that no coach would ever care about ... /rant

I actually think that was a perfect way of demonstrating to the fans how these guys overthink everything lol.

Ehh. I think it was an attempt to paint the player as unlikable and not a true leader. The Jaguars seeded a story just like that to the media about Jalen Ramsey when he was traded to try to change the narrative around it, saying that no one in the locker room viewed him as a friend and that his presence in the locker room was indifferent at best. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

Ehh. I think it was an attempt to paint the player as unlikable and not a true leader. The Jaguars seeded a story just like that to the media about Jalen Ramsey when he was traded to try to change the narrative around it, saying that no one in the locker room viewed him as a friend and that his presence in the locker room was indifferent at best. 

There are absolutely upmost 100% professionals though that do not want co-workers as friends and still perform very highly. 

What the movie should of done is just paint Bo as some type of attitude problem. I mean, that’s kind of what they were doing, but using the example of teammates don’t attend his birthday parties is pretty lame and lazy writing, that makes zero sense.