NFL Draft What Ifs

pf9

This is inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXdieqmtTo

If the Lions win this week 2 game with the Redskins in OT, they would have had the #2 pick in the 1980 draft, with SF getting the #1 pick.

The 49ers would have been able to draft Billy Sims #1 overall. Imagine Walsh's offense with a threat like Sims, who could catch as well as run. They may have won five SB's in the 80's (provided Sims doesn't get hurt and retire as early as he did in reality).

As for the Lions, they had Gary Danielson coming back at QB (after missing the entire 1979 season due to injury), but he would be 29 entering the 1980 season, and he only really had one good year. This was the draft that they did take Eric Hipple, so I wonder if they decide to take (believe it or not) BYU's Marc Wilson #2 overall).

Wilson had a bad career for the Raiders and Patriots, but going into the 1980 draft, he was considered a top-5 prospect by some. Red Miller traded Denver's first-rounder that year to the Jets for Matt Robinson because he thought that Wilson would be gone (which he was, but he was taken 15th overall by the Raiders, not top-10) when the Broncos picked at 20.

What if the Rams drafted Mack 2nd overall instead of Robinson back in 2014? Do they still draft Donald 13th overall? I heard rumors the Rams wanted to trade back into the 1st round targeting Martin. They were reportedly trying to talk to the Ravens but the Cowboys never let Martin get past them. So my thinking is if the Rams drafted Mack 2nd overall they wouldve taken Martin 13th overall. Not a bad two picks in the 1st round but the Rams wouldnt have drafted Donald. MAYBE they still draft Donald and have both him and Mack on the defense which wouldve been scary. Who knows BUT what if?

On 11/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, INbengalfan said:

What if the Browns had taken TJ Watt after selecting Myles Garrett at top of round 1 instead of taking Julius Peppers?  Would those two be enough on defense to make the Browns legitimate threats in the AFCN?

Lol I think you mean Jabril Peppers.

Watt a great player and had the Browns taken him our defense would be a lot better, I still think the Browns would be a step or two behind Bal and Pitt.

A more interesting scenario IMO is what if the Texans had taken Mack instead of Clowney. JJ+Mack= all time great pass rush duo. I think those two at their peak could generate the kind of pass rush that could carry a team to a deep playoff run 

28 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Watt a great player and had the Browns taken him our defense would be a lot better, I still think the Browns would be a step or two behind Bal and Pitt.

A more interesting scenario IMO is what if the Texans had taken Mack instead of Clowney. JJ+Mack= all time great pass rush duo. I think those two at their peak could generate the kind of pass rush that could carry a team to a deep playoff run 

Also, in 14, what if the Texans drafted Derek Carr instead of Xavier Su'a-Filo in Round 2? If they had him in the 2016 playoffs instead of Osweiler, they may have knocked off New England. Their defense was playing great, but they had no offense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, BrownsDog23 said:

LOL.  Yes, Jabril

On 10/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, pf9 said:

Teams that don't draft a particular player at times have come to regret it.

In 1983, the Steelers chose not to draft area native and Pitt QB Dan Marino (in spite of the fact that Terry Bradshaw was nearing the end of his career). They chose Gabe Rivera instead, and while he had a promising start, his career came to an abrupt halt when he was involved in a car accident in his rookie year. Meanwhile, over 17 years with the Dolphins, Marino put up amazing numbers, leading many Steelers fans to wonder "what if?". However, Marino never won a Super Bowl title. He lost in his lone appearance, Super Bowl XIX, to the 49ers and Joe Montana.

Ironically, another team's passing on a local QB would benefit the Steelers in 2004. The Cleveland Browns chose not to draft Ohio native and Miami U QB Ben Rothlisberger. It would come back to haunt them in the coming years, as the Steelers ended up taking him, and the Browns have lost at least one game to the Steelers every year since that draft - a streak which actually dates back to 1989. Of all the divisional sweeps possible today, Browns over Steelers is the only one that hasn't happened in my lifetime. The failure to draft Big Ben was a huge contributor to the Browns having the longest active playoff drought in the NFL as of 2020, being the only team never to make the playoffs during the Goodell era. But that could change this year. Of course, all of Cleveland's wins over Big Ben have come in Cleveland.

What are some other what ifs that you could think of in the NFL Draft?

From what I have heard about Marino and the Steelers (someone on a Steeler site said that this was in Inside Sports in 1984), Chuck Noll worked Marino out at Three Rivers, but someone in the organization told him that Bradshaw had several more years left (which turned out not to be true, but maybe they didn't know how bad his elbow was at that point), so they decided to take Rivera.

As for the Browns, they liked Rivers more than Big Ben. During the 2004 Caught in the Draft episode, Ernie Accorsi (Giant GM at the time) said that he almost traded down from four to seven with the Browns, but he said that he would have kicked himself because he would have missed out on Eli. If he did that, though, the Browns probably draft Rivers fourth overall. Then, either the Browns are the ones who end up with Eli, or they hold on to Rivers. The losers would have been the Steelers, because Accorsi would have scooped up Big Ben with the seventh overall pick (leaving the Steelers to take Arkansas OT Shawn Andrews, a player that Cowher was strongly looking at).

If Accorsi makes that trade, and takes Ben, the Giants may have won more than two Super Bowls. They probably get an extra second from the Browns (plus an extra pick), and they keep their 2004 third-rounder and 2005 first-rounder.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, pf9 said:

Teams that don't draft a particular player at times have come to regret it.

In 1983, the Steelers chose not to draft area native and Pitt QB Dan Marino (in spite of the fact that Terry Bradshaw was nearing the end of his career). They chose Gabe Rivera instead, and while he had a promising start, his career came to an abrupt halt when he was involved in a car accident in his rookie year. Meanwhile, over 17 years with the Dolphins, Marino put up amazing numbers, leading many Steelers fans to wonder "what if?". However, Marino never won a Super Bowl title. He lost in his lone appearance, Super Bowl XIX, to the 49ers and Joe Montana.

Ironically, another team's passing on a local QB would benefit the Steelers in 2004. The Cleveland Browns chose not to draft Ohio native and Miami U QB Ben Rothlisberger. It would come back to haunt them in the coming years, as the Steelers ended up taking him, and the Browns have lost at least one game to the Steelers every year since that draft - a streak which actually dates back to 1989. Of all the divisional sweeps possible today, Browns over Steelers is the only one that hasn't happened in my lifetime. The failure to draft Big Ben was a huge contributor to the Browns having the longest active playoff drought in the NFL as of 2020, being the only team never to make the playoffs during the Goodell era. But that could change this year. Of course, all of Cleveland's wins over Big Ben have come in Cleveland.

What are some other what ifs that you could think of in the NFL Draft?

What would have happened had the Falcons, instead of taking Michael Vick, took LaDanian Tomlinson in the first and didn't trade up. They could have gotten Brees in the 2nd round and had a killer 1-2 punch.

• Like 1

Speaking of Brees, John Elway's dad, Jack, was begging the Broncos to take Drew in the first round in 2001. However, he passed away a week before the draft, and the Broncos took Willie Middlebrooks, who didn't work out.

Denver took two injury-prone guys that year (in the first two rounds): Middlebrooks and DE Paul Toviessi. Imagine if they would have taken Brees and S Adrian Wilson instead.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

After losing to the Buccaneers in the SB the Raiders fell into over a decade of slump. What if the Oakland Raiders just selected the next player taken instead of the guy they took?

2004: Robert Gallery -> Larry Fitzgerald
2005: Fabian Washington -> Aaron Rodgers
2007: Jamarcus Russell -> Calvin Johnson

Imagine the numbers that trio could have put up.

• Like 3

The analytics driven Browns regime of 2016 executed their strategy of losing to acquire draft capital to perfection by earning the # 2 pick, then passing on Carson Wentz and accumulating multiple future picks. Their supposed intention was to take Parcell's QB recommendation Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd. But Parcell's disciple Belichick, with Garoppolo still in tow, curiously traded just above the Browns for Brissett instead. The Browns then took Cody Kessler.

Brissett isn't a star but he's a lot closer to Wentz then Kessler. Would've been interesting even though Hue Jackson is still Hue Jackson.

In 1981, the Saints passed up on Lawrence Taylor, and took George Rogers with the #1 overall pick. Then, in Round 2, they could have had RB James Wilder (they also got Rickey Jackson with another second-rounder).

Wilder was a good back stuck on a bad TB team. LT and Rickey Jackson would have been a devastating pass rush duo for years.

Also, that same year, the Chargers (allegedly) were looking at Mike Singletary in Round 1, but decided to take RB James Brooks instead (a luxury pick). Singletary could have been a great addition to a defense that sorely needed him (they didn't have a second-rounder that year, but they also could have had Lloyd Burruss in Round 3 and Dexter Manley in Round 4).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

On 10/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, Starless said:

How different would history have been had the Bucs, who needed WR help, had taken Jerry Rice with the 8th overall pick in 1985? They took Steve Young with the first pick in the supplemental draft of USFL players in 1984. 

Better than that😁 What happen if the Pats didn't trade the pick to San Fran and picked Rice!