Week Seven Post Game: Packers Ride Adams to W Over Texans

mikebpackfan

13 hours ago, Donzo said:

Watch the Bucs some more & you'll back off of that a little bit.

Because we went in there with a miserable game plan? Vita Vea was the straw that stirred that drink. I guarantee if you run right at White and David without him, you'll take them right out of plays. Running toss and outside zone and telling Linsley or Patrick they have to reach them actually has me concerned about LaFleur's IQ. Just plain lack of brain functioning there.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because we went in there with a miserable game plan? Vita Vea was the straw that stirred that drink. I guarantee if you run right at White and David without him, you'll take them right out of plays. Running toss and outside zone and telling Linsley or Patrick they have to reach them actually has me concerned about LaFleur's IQ. Just plain lack of brain functioning there.

Vita Vea didn't play against us but I know what you're saying and I agree. Their front frees those guys up to make plays.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I know he didn't play, which was why our game plan was even more moronic. Teams will start running on the Bucs in his absence. I guarantee it. 

That being said, their quick reaction to get McClendon will ease that loss. He's a stump in the middle. Doesn't move like Vea, but that was a great move by them to attempt to shore up the middle. 

14 hours ago, Pugger said:

Having Jefferson would have been great but would it have been worth Gutey's while to move up and take him?  How many picks is a WR worth?  Is he the second coming of Julio Jones?

Jefferson wasn't happening.  There was nothing we could have offered, within reason, that would have made Minnesota trade with us for a WR like Jefferson.

Guess I feel like we had a better chance at getting Dallas to send us their pick for CeDee than we did Minnesota sending us their pick for Jefferson.  And neither were worth it.

• Like 1

To the MVS discussion, I don't see any point in acting like throw-aways are failed targets.  MVS had one target, and he whiffed.   Dropping his only pass is part of the story, for sure. 

But I almost wonder if the bigger story is a guy getting 59 snaps and getting only one catchable pass thrown his way.  Maybe a problem, or won't work very consistently? 

Or maybe it's just fine?  Run downfield, and as long as the defense honors that and leaves underneath open, why force targets to MVS?  Might be a totally different defensive plan in other games?  So just take what the defense and the matchup gives you.  And if it's giving you a couple of things, maybe just opt for the things other than MVS, given that he's more drop-prone and lacks body-control?  

Shepherd played 29 snaps; only one target.  So MVS and Shepherd combined, 88 snaps, one drop, no catches, only ~3 targets, only ~1 catchable throw.  

MVS just doesn't adjust to the ball in the air very well.  He's fast, he's worked hard, but he doesn't track the ball well.  Maybe that's why some of his targets appear to be throw-aways.  The other point I'd like to make is that he kinda sucks at 50-50 balls. Doesn't use his frame to his advantage to engender more attention from Rodgers.  When he's open the ball has to be there just so or it's incomplete.  Both of these reasons may be why he was still available at that point in the draft.  

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Because we went in there with a miserable game plan?

Vita Vea was the straw that stirred that drink. I guarantee if you run right at White and David without him, you'll take them right out of plays. Running toss and outside zone and telling Linsley or Patrick they have to reach them actually has me concerned about LaFleur's IQ. Just plain lack of brain functioning there.

No, it had mothing to do with the Packer game. It's all about White being a monster player. He's just as dominant in the NFL as he was in college.

The Raiders ran right at them with Jacobs. How'd that turn out?

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Am I the only one who just now realized Turner played LT against the Texans and had his best grade since 2015?

More to do with his play or the Texans?

Also Rodgers has a historically non-Rodgers game with how quick he go rid of the ball if I’m remembering correctly... might have something to do with that as well.

I'm finally getting to watch the Packers Texans game.

Aside from the Packers looking good as they got back to dominant ways, a shout-out to the Texans Randall Cobb. For those who wanted Nelson back over Cobb (back when that was argued here) I think this was a good showcase for why Cobb would have been the better choice to keep.

Even though Cobb's efforts were not enough to turn their loss into a victory, I'm glad he played well, he's such a savvy player.

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching the All-22 for this week, so I will now post my thoughts long after no one cares.  Except I didn't take notes and I wasn't the most sober, so I can't promise I stand by literally any of this:

• It's weird that Mont. Adams isn't a liability this year.  I wouldn't call this a break-out season for him, I think you actually need to "break out" for that, but it's nice to see him at least grow into an almost average back-up DT.  Still like his first step off the ball, wish the team would let him shoot a gap occasionally.  
  • On that note, DT actually isn't the liability I thought it would be this year.  Keke took the jump I was really hoping he would, Adams is ok, Lowry is actually having a low-key nice year off and on, and Clark is back.  This isn't an elite group or anything, but after all our wailing and gnashing going into the season this is a pretty playable DL.
  • Kamal Martin comes heavy when he takes on blocks.  Gotta love those guys who are just itching to play and will hit anything that moves coming off of injury. 
  • Why does Pettine love playing Raven Greene as the slot corner?  Or the guy playing curl/flat in any zone setup?  That man was made to blitz and destroy crossers, stop asking him to drop and take away the hole shot, he's terrible at it anyway.  
  • Josh Jackson should be getting more love for his play in the screen/run game lately.  For a dude that really struggled with missed tackles he's had a couple of very nice games coming up and playing physical.  I do love that the team basically just leaves him in off-coverage all game, which frankly isn't actually the worst gameplan they could have for him.
  • Preston shouldn't be getting hammered like he is.  The stop on 4th down wasn't even his first great play of the day.  He's been a pretty varied rusher yet again, and while there's a few games I bet he'd like back overall I don't have any issues with his play.  
  • Billy Turner actually looks really natural at LT.  I didn't watch him specifically outside of a couple of series, but he's always been a plus athlete and those feet are still cat quick.  I'm sure I don't want him at LT long term, but given my thoughts about it going into the game he really surprised me.
  • Like 5