Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

We in trouble boys. This oline is plain bad. What was Gettlemans words last season? " I wanna fix this oline once and for all. " ... Yep that would help when u draft players with talent. Because Thomas and Peart are looking like busts. Wirfs, Becton and Wills all had solid seasons and showed why they were all ranked ahead of Thomas. Peart already looks like a lost cause. And Thomas is heading for the bench sooner than later he plays like he did yesterday. From what i saw this is DJ's last season as a starter. I have not seen enough or really any thing that would convince me to stop calling him Jameis Jones. He did it again yesterday. Makes awesome plays, gets down the field, then makes an eye opening mistake that leaves u scratching ur head like what the hell did he just do that for? That INT in the endzone... really???... Its his last season fellas. Gonna be a long year. 

I am getting a lot of 'The sky is falling' from people here and things really aren't that bad. Andrew Thomas didn't look bad against the Jets I believe some even said he looked dominate in that game. If he was bad against the Jets and against the Patriots I would be worried. Clearly he tried a new technique that did not work, I am sure Judge will have back to the basics for Denver. 

As for Peart, he received the least snaps out everyone on the offensive line last year. He needs more experience to get better, till that happens we still have Nate Solder.

We should be fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I am getting a lot of 'The sky is falling' from people here and things really aren't that bad. Andrew Thomas didn't look bad against the Jets I believe some even said he looked dominate in that game. If he was bad against the Jets and against the Patriots I would be worried. Clearly he tried a new technique that did not work, I am sure Judge will have back to the basics for Denver. 

As for Peart, he received the least snaps out everyone on the offensive line last year. He needs more experience to get better, till that happens we still have Nate Solder.

We should be fine.

The Jets EDGE talent is the worst in the league. Thomas got bullied by a guy 1/2 the size of him in Uche. It was definitely worrisome. 

The one solace we have is that the offense looked the same as last year and that was without any of the additions we signed to fix the offense playing. Saquon, Kyle Rudolph, Kenny Golladay, John Ross all didn't play. Maybe that amount of skill position talent helps out the OL in terms of the looks they'll get? Possibly. But based on preseason, the OL is still an issue and DJ's dumb turnovers are too.

EDIT: I forgot Toney too. None of those guys have played at all.

Edited by minutemancl

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Jets EDGE talent is the worst in the league. Thomas got bullied by a guy 1/2 the size of him in Uche. It was definitely worrisome. 

The one solace we have is that the offense looked the same as last year and that was without any of the additions we signed to fix the offense playing. Saquon, Kyle Rudolph, Kenny Golladay, John Ross all didn't play. Maybe that amount of skill position talent helps out the OL in terms of the looks they'll get? Possibly. But based on preseason, the OL is still an issue and DJ's dumb turnovers are too.

EDIT: I forgot Toney too. None of those guys have played at all.

Now it is is the worst in the league, due to injuries and blood cots, it was not when we faced the Jets.

Thomas is among the least person I am worried about when it comes to this offensive line.

Well I wasn't expecting a ton of improvement from the team during these three preseason games.  I am disappointed that we couldn't get any of our starting scorers on the field.  

I haven't followed as much so if you guys have some insight as to why, we haven't seen our first round pick on the field or Kenny Golladay.  I know that TE, Kyle Rudolph has been recovering from surgery but this entire off season I haven't seen any of these guys.  Last thing I heard about Toney was he lost his cleats, surely he's found them by now...haha.  

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Well I wasn't expecting a ton of improvement from the team during these three preseason games.  I am disappointed that we couldn't get any of our starting scorers on the field.  

I haven't followed as much so if you guys have some insight as to why, we haven't seen our first round pick on the field or Kenny Golladay.  I know that TE, Kyle Rudolph has been recovering from surgery but this entire off season I haven't seen any of these guys.  Last thing I heard about Toney was he lost his cleats, surely he's found them by now...haha.  

Toney got covid so Giants have been slow working him back. Golladay has a hamstring injury.

9 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

So now apparently we just traded for Ben Bredeson of the Ravens for more oline depth. You think Gettleman isnt shaking to his core now about he should drafted more oline help instead of 1000000 corners? 

We drafted 3 last year, it would be nice if one was at least decent 

6 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

So now apparently we just traded for Ben Bredeson of the Ravens for more oline depth. You think Gettleman isnt shaking to his core now about he should drafted more oline help instead of 1000000 corners? 

No joke man...So ready for this guy to be gone.  Should of went last year.

Came in to fix the offensive line issues rather dismantled the entire roster from top to bottom and four years later the offensive line is still in need of help....haha... you can't make this stuff up...haha.

Anyone know anything about this guy other than he was drafted in the 4th round last year, played a limited role with the team before being put on IR?  Why are the Ravens getting rid of this guy, so quickly?  

The trade consists of our 4th rounder in exchange for Bredeson, a 5th round and their 7th rounder in 2023, so whats that make him worth?...Not much.

"Bredeson played a limited role in the Ravens offense last year, finishing the season with only 48 snaps in 10 games. Bredeson finished the season without starting a single game for the Ravens and was placed on the Injury Reserve list in the week leading up to Baltimore’s Divisional Round matchup against the Titans with a knee injury."

NFL Scouting Report

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ben-bredeson/32004252-4505-4642-6b12-aa127a40c235

Player Bio

Despite growing up less than an hour from Camp Randall and winning Wisconsin's Gatorade Player of the Year award and Joe Thomas Award as the state's top offensive lineman as a senior, Bredeson eschewed the Badgers to sign with Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh. His talent was too strong to keep off the field, and he earned Freshman All-American and honorable mention All-Big Ten notice after starting eight of 13 games played in 2016. Bredeson started all 12 games at left guard in 2017, garnering second-team all-conference honors. He was named a team captain in 2018, starting all 13 games at left guard and earning a second-team All-Big Ten nod. Bredeson was a team captain again in 2019 when he started all 13 games at left guard and received third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team all-conference notice. Ben's brother, Jack, played baseball at Michigan.

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Joe Dahl
Overview
Four-year starter who will get dinged for some athletic limitations, but possesses the body type, leadership and toughness necessary to play in the league. Bredeson is best-suited firing out in a power-based rushing attacking where his disadvantages in space can be mitigated. There are correctable elements in his game that should forge continued improvement, but there will be some bumpy roads against interior quickness. He should become an average starter.
Strengths
  • Burly with broad shoulders and an NFL guard's frame
  • Peppery pass punch to stun defender
  • Sharp to snap and catch in response to twists
  • Looks for work when he's uncovered
  • Maintains base width and generally on-balance in pass sets
  • Rugged mentality will appeal to O-line coaches
  • Plays with adequate bend in hips, knees and ankles
  • Able to unlock hips and create leverage in run game
  • Can match power across from him as drive blocker
  • Two-time team captain and highly regarded by teammates
Weaknesses
  • Athletic limitations limit his scheme flexibility
  • Below-average initial quickness
  • Effectiveness diminishes away from his phone booth
  • Heavy feet hinder lateral movements and second level climbs
  • Will struggle redirecting and adjusting to moving targets in space
  • Needs more accurate hand placement to improve block sustain
  • Room for improvement with anchor technique in pass sets
  • Could struggle to handle NFL rush counters
  • Like 1

Cam Newton was released from the Patriots after a rocky placeholder year and a decent preseason. This is a surprise to me as I fully expected him to be their Week 1 starter.

A few years ago I might have wanted the Giants to take a hard look at him, but between all the hits he's taken and the COVID protocol issues, I think we (and most other teams) are likely to pass.

In other news, this interview with Raymond Johnson III is a lot of fun. Kid has a magnetic personality and a great sense of humor. 

Edited by y*so*blu

I found Dave's draft history as a GM interesting, take what you will from it.

Looking at the nfl.com/draft/tracker for the Panthers over 2014 to 2017 - (2013 wasn't available on the site).  Reviewing it I just thought it odd that the top team need for the Pathers in those years listed Offensive lineman/ OL as a top need.  Just curious where he got his "hog molly" title if his biggest needs were OL each of those years.  He did draft some quality lineman with the team in Turner, Williams and Moton, but he only drafted 3 in a number of years.  Perhaps it came from free agency.  Haven't looked that deep into it.

Something else worth noting is there is still a lot of active players from 2014 to 2017 I'm looking at 13.  His first year wasn't a huge success, but it was the first year.

I've always felt that he had a good eye for talent in the draft but just not a fan of how he conducts business as General Manager.  For example, addressing the offensive line after the last preseason game when I think we all knew that it should have been addressed much sooner.  Or what I believe to be one of his biggest blunders was starting Jones too early, behind a porous line which includes Barkley being asked to do too much behind a talentless line.  Because of this I can see our top needs next year being OL * QB * RB.

I know it sounds like I'm coming down hard on this GM and past coaching staff, but it's just the way I see it.  Truly believe the man is in over his head at the GM level and would be better served as a head draft scout.

Right now I just hope that Judge and his staff can continue to make strides with this team. 

2014 - Top Needs: OL • WR • CB

• Drafted
    • Kelvin Benjamin, WR
    • Kony Ealy, DE
    • Trai Turner, OG
    • Tre Boston, SS
    • Bene' Benwikere, CB
    • Tyler Gaffney, RB

2015 - Top Needs: OL • WR • CB • RB • DL

• Drafted
    • Shaq Thompson, OLB
    • Devin Funchess, WR
    • Daryl Williams, OT
    • David Mayo, LB
    • Cameron Artis-Payne, RB

2016 - Top Needs: OL • DL • CB • RB • S

• Drafted
    • Vernon Butler, DT
    • James Bradberry, CB
    • Daryl Worley, CB
    • Zack Sanchez, CB
    • Beau Sandland, TE

2017 - Top Needs: OL • DL • RB • WR • TE

• Drafted
    • Christian McCaffrey, RB
    • Curtis Samuel, WR
    • Taylor Moton, OG
    • Daeshon Hall, DE
    • Corn Elder, CB
    • Alex Armah, FB
    • Harrison Butker, K

Dave's first draft with the Giants came in 2018.

2018 - Top Needs: QB • OL • RB • DL • WR

• Drafted
    • Saquon Barkley, RB
    • Will Hernandez, G
    • Lorenzo Carter, Edge
    • BJ Hill, DT
    • Kyle Lauletta, QB
    • RJ Mcintosh, DT
  • 2019 - Top Needs: QB • DL • CB • WR • OL
  • Drafted
    • Daniel Jones, QB
    • Dexter Lawrence, DT
    • Deandre Baker, CB
    • Oshane Ximines, Edge
    • Julian Love, DB
    • Ryan Connelly, LB
    • Darius Slayton, WR
    • Corey Ballentine, CB
    • George Asafo-Adjei, T
    • Chris Slayton, DT
  • 2020 - Top Needs: OL • LB • S • WR • TE
  • Drafted
    • Andrew Thomas, T
    • Xavier McKinney, S
    • Matt Peart, T
    • Darnay Holmes, CB
    • Shane Lemieux, G
    • Cameron Brown, LB
    • Carter Coughlin, Edge/LB
    • TJ Brunson, LB
    • Chris Williamson, CB
    • Tae Crowder, LB
  • 2021 - Top Needs: LB • OL • WR • RB • DL
  • Drafted
    • Kadarius Toney, WR
    • Azeez Ojulari, Edge
    • Aaron Robinson, CB
    • Elerson G. Smith, Edge
    • Gary Brightwell, RB
    • Rodarius Williams, CB

Just wondering has a Giants draft class ever gotten off to a slower start than this one? I think all of us will be pleasantly surprise if Toney becomes a factor in the Broncos game.  3rd round pick Aaron Robinson and 4th round pick Elerson Smith are on the PUP list, and our 6th and 7th rounders are buried on the depth chart.

It is kind of sad the only draft pick that is expected to make a real contribution is Azeez.

35 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Just wondering has a Giants draft class ever gotten off to a slower start than this one? I think all of us will be pleasantly surprise if Toney becomes a factor in the Broncos game.  3rd round pick Aaron Robinson and 4th round pick Elerson Smith are on the PUP list, and our 6th and 7th rounders are buried on the depth chart.

It is kind of sad the only draft pick that is expected to make a real contribution is Azeez.

Yeah it does suck.  It wouldn't hurt so bad if the bulk of the investments to the offense was healthy and playing.  Just seems like every thing the team did to help Jones has gotten off to a rocky start;  Toney, Golladay and Rudolph have barely been seen.  Even Barkley and his lack of time on the field this year is discouraging.  

Mix in the woes on the offensive line and we seem to have more questions than answers heading into week one.  

• Like 1