Raiders OT Trent Brown hospitalised due to error with pre-game IV

drd23

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

If people thought the Tyrod Taylor rib injection thing was medical malpractice (it almost certainly wasn't), then they are going to have a field day with this

I used to run a flu program where I would hire upwards of 100 nurses to travel around the state and administer flu shots to our client's employees at their workplace. We had a nurse give an air shot because she was pre-filling syringes (which we train against) and she forgot to fill this one. She lost her nursing license. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I used to run a flu program where I would hire upwards of 100 nurses to travel around the state and administer flu shots to our client's employees at their workplace. We had a nurse give an air shot because she was pre-filling syringes (which we train against) and she forgot to fill this one. She lost her nursing license. 

That can kill somebody, right? Was the person okay?

The danger of an air embolism is that it kind of jams the atria of the heart iirc. 

You need to lie on your right side if it happens. 

The amount that you have to put through is to do this about 30mls which about how much  is in the tubing for a stand IV line. 

If you use an electronic pump it shouldn't happen, they must have been using a free flow set. 

I nearly have done it before when someone else said they primed the line. Which they hadn't done. 

Scared the crap out of me.

Edited by Kiwibrown

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The amount that you have to put through is to do this about 30mls which about how much  is in the tubing for a stand IV line. 

If you use an electronic pump it shouldn't happen, they must have been using a free flow set. 

yeah no chance they used a pump, those stop pumping as soon as they detect any air.

not sure how this would've happened other than someone forgetting to run fluids through the line. even if someone ran the line but left some bubbles it shouldn't be that bad.

33 minutes ago, whitehops said:

yeah no chance they used a pump, those stop pumping as soon as they detect any air.

Yep

33 minutes ago, whitehops said:

not sure how this would've happened other than someone forgetting to run fluids through the line. even if someone ran the line but left some bubbles it shouldn't be that bad.

I wonder if one person spiked it and didnt run it through and another person connected it. That's how it nearly happened with me.

Big communication error.