The Return of the Face of the Vikings (Teddy Chronicles)

gopherwrestler

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

For those saying Case is struggling now... If I recall Case rating is around 9th or 10th in the league. I'm guessing that's the best multiple game QB rating we've had since 2009.

16th.

12th in completion percentage. 20th in yards. 25th in TDs.

Best stat he can point to is he's been sacked just 5 times. Tied for best among QBs with 6 starts.

Case was signed to be the backup.

Teddy is the starter.

If the starter is healthy and capable of playing, he should play - no matter how the backup is playing. Flynn put up world numbers, Garoppolo once did as well - does anyone think they should have kept Aaron/Tom on the bench? Are you kidding? Teddy is on the bench because he was hurt, not because he was playing bad. He's healthy, he goes back in.

Of course, Teddy needs some reps with the ones before going in there. But I think the Rams game is a good game to get him back starting. 3.5 weeks of preparation should be good for Tedyy. I'm sure he knows the playbook well enough. So it's either the Rams game or the Lions game on the road for me.

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

You make it sound so simple. If Teddy goes out there and doesn't look ready, fans and media and critics are going to come down hard on the coaches, front office and medical staff for rushng him back before he's ready to go.

We don't need another Sam Bradford situation...

If coaches can't take criticism from fans and let fans drive their decisions, they deserve to be fired. What was the consequence of the Bradford decision? One bad half? The team moved on just fine. If Teddy looks bad, I'd think most rational fans would understand that the Vikes were trying to put the best option out there. But again, I don't think Zimmer cares how hard fans criticize him. Something tells me he's not too invested in the media and social media.

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Teddys floor is probably Keenum.

The last time we saw Teddy in a regular season game, he pretty much was Keenum.  In the preseason before his injury, he seemed to have shown progress, but we don't know if that would have carried over into the regular season.  And now there's been a significant loss of time for progression, we don't really know if he's the same guy or if he's regressed back.

I don't think there's anyway that you can bench Case at this point for consistency's sake.  The rest of the team knows who he is and his tendencies, so they know how to deal with him.  Now, if he starts pulling a Jameis Winston or DeShone Kizer and starts turning the ball over a lot, that's a different story. 

We also shouldn't forget that there isn't a single member of the offensive line, outside of Joe Berger, that has ever played with Teddy in a regular season game.  

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

For those saying Case is struggling now... If I recall Case rating is around 9th or 10th in the league. I'm guessing that's the best multiple game QB rating we've had since 2009.

But how sustainable is this against better teams? I'm happy he's beaten teams led by Kizer, Flacco, Trubisky and Hundley, how'd that Detroit game go again? 10 FGs in two games shows we can move the ball, but we still aren't finishing. I like Keenum as a backup, he's exceeded my expectations. I just don't see much justification for him taking the job from Teddy. If the goal is to ultimately get Teddy back on the field, I'd rather see it sooner than later so Teddy has more time to get acclimated.

Just now, disaacs said:

The last time we saw Teddy in a regular season game, he pretty much was Keenum.  In the preseason before his injury, he seemed to have shown progress, but we don't know if that would have carried over into the regular season.  And now there's been a significant loss of time for progression, we don't really know if he's the same guy or if he's regressed back.

I have the same concern. I mean Teddy was very underwhelming as a starter. We'd have to see the potential and if sitting for an extra year helped some of the mental aspects of his game.

3 hours ago, swiss_vike said:

Case was signed to be the backup.

Teddy is the starter.

If the starter is healthy and capable of playing, he should play - no matter how the backup is playing. Flynn put up world numbers, Garoppolo once did as well - does anyone think they should have kept Aaron/Tom on the bench? Are you kidding? Teddy is on the bench because he was hurt, not because he was playing bad. He's healthy, he goes back in.

Of course, Teddy needs some reps with the ones before going in there. But I think the Rams game is a good game to get him back starting. 3.5 weeks of preparation should be good for Tedyy. I'm sure he knows the playbook well enough. So it's either the Rams game or the Lions game on the road for me.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare Teddy to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at this point of his career.

I think it's clear that Zimmer loves Teddy. I think Zimmer won't be too concerned with how Teddy looked in the past vs how Keenum is playing now. Probably comes down to timing and I think a strong argument could be made for both the Redskins or Rams game for Teddys return.

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare Teddy to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at this point of his career.

I agree.  As much as I am a fan of Teddy's potential as a starting QB, it's absolutely absurd to throw in that comparison to the situations of Aaron/Tom, who have significant equity.  Teddy doesn't have that equity. 

And Drew Bledsoe was on the bench because he was hurt too, despite being the starter at the time.  It doesn't matter why he's on the bench, it's how the current starter is playing.  

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

But how sustainable is this against better teams? I'm happy he's beaten teams led by Kizer, Flacco, Trubisky and Hundley, how'd that Detroit game go again? 10 FGs in two games shows we can move the ball, but we still aren't finishing. I like Keenum as a backup, he's exceeded my expectations. I just don't see much justification for him taking the job from Teddy. If the goal is to ultimately get Teddy back on the field, I'd rather see it sooner than later so Teddy has more time to get acclimated.

How sustainable? Teddy performed worse against the better teams, and worse against the worse teams. How'd Detroit go with Case? .. if Cook doesn't get injured and fumbles the ball, Vikings win 7-6, and Case's record would be 6-0 as the starter.

Lets not try and say that Teddy was some kind of world beater when he was here previously, he was at best ~25th best QB. Don't bring Rodgers or Brady elite QB play, injury/return comparisons in here since we're talking about a bottom 10 QB in the league.

The ultimate goal is not to get Teddy back on the field.

39 minutes ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

I love Teddy and I think Case has been playing solid. I'm in the camp of letting Case mess up first before bringing in Teddy.

For me, Case needs to "really" mess up before bringing in Teddy.

The Bears switch from Bradford to Case was not cause Bradford was messing him, it was cause he was clearly injured.

As much as I like Teddy and want to see him do well, I think some perceptions of him are a bit exaggerated.  He wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire when he last played and whether or not he was a franchise QB was still undetermined.  I think Keenum's level of play recently is better than what we saw of Bridgewater when he last played. 

This has been my #1 criticism regarding Keenum. He’s a one read quarterback. He was in college, he was in Houston, St. Louis/LA, and he has been here as well. It’s just who he is as a quarterback, and it’s left a number of big plays and yards on the field. 

I could only imagine what we’d look like with Bradford at QB, and why I want to hand the offense to Bridgewater. Both of them have shown that they will stand in the pocket and scan the field, they’ll make multiple reads before going to their check down. 

This offense by Shurmur is so much more QB friendly, and is so good at creating route combinations that get guys open, that I can’t help but get excited at the possibility of what it could look like with a better QB. 

Archived