The Return of the Face of the Vikings (Teddy Chronicles)

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

Please enlighten us as to how a "moderate upgrade" would take this offense to the next level?  My principle worry about Teddy is that he will suffer re-injury, which would (obviously) be bad for his career, but also psychologically devastating to most of us fans, since he is so likable as a person, and we want him healthy.

Keenum is a high end backup and is playing like it (I don't think the high passer rating is sustainable). Teddy, assuming he regains form is a starting level QB. Starting level QBs are (obviously) better than backups.

But more specifically the things working in Teddy's favor:

Ball placement

Field vision (seeing receivers open downfield)

Great understanding of the game (using his eyes to fool a defender)

Better footwork/ability to work the pocket (watch Keenum against Pittsburgh. His drifting away from the pocket killed any intermediate/deep passing game for us)

That's to name a few. I'm not sure if his arm is noticeably better than Keenums, and he hasn't played in 14 months, so he may come back and be totally ineffective (like Bradford vs Chicago). Lots of assumptions being made.

55 minutes ago, milanb said:

The thing I worry about with Teddy is the expectation level. Although he showed some promise in his first two seasons, Teddy was not exactly lighting up the scoreboard prior to getting hurt. The Vikings have since switched back to a WCO under Shurmur and Teddy has had very few first team reps in the new offence.

Here's where I disagree with this argument: the 2015 season was not the last time we saw Teddy.

In the 2016 preseason, he was 18-23 (78.3%) for 253 yards and 2 TDs.

I know it's preseason, and I'm not even saying he would replicate that production. But a dip would still be even with Keenum at worst.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Keenum is a high end backup and is playing like it (I don't think the high passer rating is sustainable). Teddy, assuming he regains form is a starting level QB. Starting level QBs are (obviously) better than backups.

But more specifically the things working in Teddy's favor:

Ball placement--Comparable.  Teddy was better shorter, but Keenum longer

Field vision (seeing receivers open downfield)  Keenum may not be better, but he certain has made more downfield plays.

Great understanding of the game (using his eyes to fool a defender)

Better footwork/ability to work the pocket (watch Keenum against Pittsburgh. His drifting away from the pocket killed any intermediate/deep passing game for us).  Aside from that game (where any Qb would have struggled) Keenum has done well

That's to name a few. I'm not sure if his arm is noticeably better than Keenums, and he hasn't played in 14 months, so he may come back and be totally ineffective (like Bradford vs Chicago). Lots of assumptions being made.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Listen to how players talk about Teddy. It's different than how they talk about Case.

Teddy IS the leader of this team. His return to the lineup would bring a big morale boost to the team. 

On November 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM, perrynoid said:

Please enlighten us as to how a "moderate upgrade" would take this offense to the next level?  My principle worry about Teddy is that he will suffer re-injury, which would (obviously) be bad for his career, but also psychologically devastating to most of us fans, since he is so likable as a person, and we want him healthy.

So just don't play him because he might get injured and it would be too much for fans? Should he become a coach, waterboy?

if he's healthy and ready to go, let him play. If his knee implodes, he's probably not meant to have a NFL career and there no telling when/if that will happen.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

So just don't play him because he might get injured and it would be too much for fans? Should he become a coach, waterboy?

if he's healthy and ready to go, let him play. If his knee implodes, he's probably not meant to have a NFL career and there no telling when/if that will happen.

I would worry about playing him prematurely; obviously I would want him to play eventually, but someone who has undergone such a catastrophic injury should not be rushed back.  It would be devastating for us fans to see him rushed backprematurely, as statistically that would greatly increase the likelihood of  not only re-injury, but of severely re-injuring him.  Some of us are just cautious, that's all.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

I would worry about playing him prematurely; obviously I would want him to play eventually, but someone who has undergone such a catastrophic injury should not be rushed back.  It would be devastating for us fans to see him rushed backprematurely, as statistically that would greatly increase the likelihood of  not only re-injury, but of severely re-injuring him.  Some of us are just cautious, that's all.

how would we as fans even know if he's being rushed? If doctors and the team have cleared him, what's is there to question? If Teddy looks like Bradford did against Chicago, I'll be worried and I'd hope they would pull him.

The Minnesota Vikings have said they will wait to consult with doctors early this week before making a final decision on QB Teddy Bridgewater’s roster status, but CBS Sports reports that Bridgewater will be activated to the 53-man roster and “is scheduled to be in uniform and active when the Vikings return from their bye in Week 10, according to sources.”

That has been the expectation for the last several weeks.

However, the report from Jason LaCanfora also says the Vikings plan to stay the course and keep Case Keenum in as the starting quarterback for now. The likely scenario, then, is that Bridgewater will be active as Keenum’s back next Sunday when the Vikings play the Washington Redskins.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-QB-Teddy-Bridgewater-reportedly-will-return-in-full-this-week-110006365

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Minnesota Vikings have said they will wait to consult with doctors early this week before making a final decision on QB Teddy Bridgewater’s roster status, but CBS Sports reports that Bridgewater will be activated to the 53-man roster and “is scheduled to be in uniform and active when the Vikings return from their bye in Week 10, according to sources.”

That has been the expectation for the last several weeks.

However, the report from Jason LaCanfora also says the Vikings plan to stay the course and keep Case Keenum in as the starting quarterback for now. The likely scenario, then, is that Bridgewater will be active as Keenum’s back next Sunday when the Vikings play the Washington Redskins.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-QB-Teddy-Bridgewater-reportedly-will-return-in-full-this-week-110006365

If this is truly what happens, then it's a great course of action the Vikings are taking. This is the best path many of us wanted a) Teddy activated on the 53 (he's healthy, Yay) b) active on game day (great) c) backup QB to Case starting (for the time being)

Archived