The Return of the Face of the Vikings (Teddy Chronicles)

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:
This has been my #1 criticism regarding Keenum. He’s a one read quarterback. He was in college, he was in Houston, St. Louis/LA, and he has been here as well. It’s just who he is as a quarterback, and it’s left a number of big plays and yards on the field. 

Wasn't the Thielen TD like his third or fourth read?

34 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Wasn't the Thielen TD like his third or fourth read?

I don’t know. But that play broke down. He was forced out of the pocket and scrambled to his right. Sitting in the pocket, Keenum is not a quarterback who regularly goes through his progressions.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know. But that play broke down. He was forced out of the pocket and scrambled to his right. Sitting in the pocket, Keenum is not a quarterback who regularly goes through his progressions.

Wasn't there busted coverage on the play? CB let Thielen go thinking there was Safety help. 

Teddy does well at going thru his progressions, but lets not forget one thing about him. Overthrowing the deep ball consistently... pretty bad also on those route where the receiver ended up wide open. Not many deep passes to remember where the receiver was wide open.

Also going thru his progressions, he ended up doing something we get mad at... dumping it off. How many third downs did we see Asiata catch the ball?

I realize it is a totally different offense, and offensive line, but it was something he did quite a bit in college, and it progressed into Norvs offense... which really wasn't a dink n' dunk offense, it really was a safety valve... This offense we run now is a dink n' dunk offense, scheming plays that way much more often.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

After being out of the game for a year and a half, who knows if any of his old tendencies or strengths or weaknesses will be the same. As far as I'm concerned we are getting a 24 year old rookie. Could be a franchise QB, could be a bust.

Kind of where I'm at too but this rookie has already spent years learning the NFL. Rodgers spent years on the bench, he turned out okay. Hopefully Teddy's knee will be okay going forward.

In Teddy's last preseason game, he looked to be playing lights out, slinging the ball all over the field at all levels. That is the sort of Teddy we should be hoping for. That, coupled with now sitting behind a QB who isn't afraid to put the ball downfield and who has had success doing so hopefully will keep Teddy headed in the right direction. I know the knee only plays so much into the throw of a football, but I beleive that it was stated that Teddy's mechanics have now changed, and that he drops back differently. He also probably had to take a decent amount of time off from throwing, so hopefully he hasn't lost accuracy or anything like that. 

I am am really looking forward to Teddy playing, and my gut keeps telling me that he is going to come out and surprise, but I am tempering my expectations because it could definitely take a bit for him to get back into the rhythm he was in, and his arm may not be where it was before.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

1. Teddy looks jacked

2. My god those clips of Matt Kalil "blocking". That was horrible

I hope Teddy can regain form, even if that's simply a moderate upgrade from Keenum. He could take this offense to the next level.

Please enlighten us as to how a "moderate upgrade" would take this offense to the next level?  My principle worry about Teddy is that he will suffer re-injury, which would (obviously) be bad for his career, but also psychologically devastating to most of us fans, since he is so likable as a person, and we want him healthy.

The thing I worry about with Teddy is the expectation level. Although he showed some promise in his first two seasons, Teddy was not exactly lighting up the scoreboard prior to getting hurt. The Vikings have since switched back to a WCO under Shurmur and Teddy has had very few first team reps in the new offence.

Meanwhile Shaggy has been taking the lion's share of the first team reps over the past two months and has been playing pretty well. Statistically he is close to Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning and Andy Dalton.. He's winning games and he's not turning the ball over.

I am not at all convinced that Teddy is going to be a huge upgrade over Shaggy at this stage of the season.

Archived