Burning random questions!

thebestever6

15 hours ago, SkippyX said:

McNabb is an a-hole. That's all you need to know.

He is a passive aggressive elitist snowflake. How dare us peasants ever boo him when he is 12 for 30 for 92 yards with 4 worm burners!

He was sad that the Eagles FO got booed by 30 drunks for not drafting Ricky Williams. He never got over it.

He complained about his teammates lack of talent and he came up small very often on some very good teams.

He finally got a great WR but he was too much of a snowflake to lead the guy or to tolerate his annoying diva antics.

He actively engaged in fights with the media and the fans.

• His mommy complained when Garcia did well in 2006
  • His publicist attacked the fans
  • His daddy attacked the fans.
  • He did an interview with Cowboy Primetime Deion Sanders after the Cardinals Thanksgiving game.
    • Prime attacked the city and the fans while McNabb chuckled, agreed, and endorsed the attack
      • McNabb then had a rematch with the same Cardinals team in the NFCCG and he came up small yet again 

McNabb in the Super Bowl was one of the worst performances in the history of Philly sports.

He actually threw a pick in the end zone from the 25, got a do-over from the 20 and threw a mirror image pick to the other side of the end zone on the next play.

Anyone who hates on Philly for not loving McNabb is an ignorant fool who knows nothing about the man, the player, the team, the fans, or the city.

I love it when people get all defensive without any need. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I love it when people get all defensive without any need. 

It was a detailed explanation from a Philly sports expert to someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

And it does make me laugh that you had to get defensive about my details.

McNabb was a better QB than Jaworski but Jaws is loved in Philly because he is a good man who appreciated his opportunities and blessings.

McNabb is a punch line in Philly.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

It was a detailed explanation from a Philly sports expert to someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

And it does make me laugh that you had to get defensive about my details.

McNabb was a better QB than Jaworski but Jaws is loved in Philly because he is a good man who appreciated his opportunities and blessings.

McNabb is a punch line in Philly.

It was an unnecessary explanation that belies your inability to comprehend my initial comment.

I wasn't defending McNabb at all. 

Learn to read before accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about, Skippy. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

It was an unnecessary explanation that belies your inability to comprehend my initial comment.

I wasn't defending McNabb at all. 

Learn to read before accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about, Skippy. 

Learn to communicate. Not only did I go into depth and detail on a topic on a message board but I also got agreement and replies to it.

I think I also hurt your feelings, but I'll get over it.

You one of those butt-hurt Chip Kelly guys that hates Eagles fans, maybe?

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Learn to communicate. Not only did I go into depth and detail on a topic on a message board but I also got agreement and replies to it.

I think I also hurt your feelings, but I'll get over it.

You one of those butt-hurt Chip Kelly guys that hates Eagles fans, maybe?

Lol wut? 

I never said anything negative about Philly you insipid moron.

You're clearly a Hooked On Phonics failure. 

Be gone. 

Edited by ronjon1990

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Lol wut? 

I never said anything negative about Philly you insipid moron.

You're clearly a Hooked On Phonics failure. 

Be gone. 

Feel free to re-read the entire thread.

Someone posed a question about McNabb (I don't care if it was you, you are nothing to me)

I replied with the detail that I fully understood about the man, the player, his posse of idiots, the team, the fans, and the city.

You replied with a personal attack.

My replies to your replies have increasingly hurt your overly sensitive feelings after that.

4a0bddcd2fa10180ca204d79a4f1227a.jpg

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What were a few things that defined the dynasties of the 1981-94  SF 49ers, and the 90s Cowboys teams?

- what made them so good, what defined their style of play, who were the key people/players involved, why did it end?

@Matts4313

@Forge 

?

Both had huge fanbases, historically good teams and coaches that changed the NFL.

Dallas was just coming off a ridiculous stretch of 20 winning seasons, their coach invented the 4-3 defense, the front office invented scouting college players. Yet through all this, the Cowboys were losing money. Jerry steps in, buys the team, blows everything up and brings in his college teammate Jimmy Johnsons. Jimmy, with Mike Irvin's input, gutted the entire team of "losers". 

Obviously the Cowboys had a lot of loud personalities. A lot of that stemmed from getting a brash owner, a national championship coach and players who were very famous/popular from college. 

It was a tidal wave of enormous stories that kept us in the news that really changed perception of the Cowboys though. 

• Players stabbing other players
  • Drug bust
  • Walker trade
  • Creation of the draft trade chart
  • Jerry negotiating the modern NFL TV contracts with Fox/CBS/NBC/ABC
  • Cowboys becoming the lone team in the NFL to secure their own merch rights
  • Being in the NFC E (Giants/Skins/Eagles were all superbowl caliber teams)
  • Being a long time rivals of the 9ers/steelers (also superbowl caliber teams)
  • And winning. Lots of winning. 

As for the team itself, it was very big and physical. Cocky as hell. Didnt really have a weak spot anywhere player wise. Our coaching/playstyle wasnt the very best, but we were just so much more talented than everyone else it didnt matter. 

What led to our downfall was:

1. We got old and injured.
  2. We drafted horrendously for about 10 years. 
  3. Good coaches got poached, we replaced them with a bunch of terrible coaches. 
  4. We were very slow to adopt to new trends in the NFL (IE - WCO vs 7 step drops).
  5. Jerry surrounded himself with idiots from Switzer until Parcells. 
  6. The team lost all discipline. 
  7. Even though Jerry was instrumental in creating/implementing the salary  cap - - he had no idea how to manage one.
Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

It was a tidal wave of enormous stories that kept us in the news that really changed perception of the Cowboys though. 

How many of those was Irving not involved in? :D

Do you reckon the ridiculous viewing numbers maintained even today stems from this period then?

As for the team itself, it was very big and physical. Cocky as hell. Didnt really have a weak spot anywhere player wise. Our coaching/playstyle wasnt the very best, but we were just so much more talented than everyone else it didnt matter. 

So where would some of the top talent rank, in an all time list? For example, is Aikman a top 10 QB of all time? I presume Larry Allen and Irving are well up there for their positions. My old man really liked Novacek, was he one of these very best for his position types at the time?

What led to our downfall was:

1. We got old and injured.
  2. We drafted horrendously for about 10 years. 
  3. Good coaches got poached, we replaced them with a bunch of terrible coaches. 
  4. We were very slow to adopt to new trends in the NFL (IE - WCO vs 7 step drops).
  5. Jerry surrounded himself with idiots from Switzer until Parcells. 
  6. The team lost all discipline. 
  7. Even though Jerry was instrumental in creating/implementing the salary  cap - - he had no idea how to manage one.

I keep seeing comments about the 90s Cowboys like ...Jerry chased Johnson away, and Johnson leaving was the reason why it fell apart. Would you go along with that at all?

Sorry....I'm inquisitive . 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How many of those was Irving not involved in? :D

Wasnt just him, a lot of players were wild. Newton got busted w/dog fighting and 200#'s of weed. 

Do you reckon the ridiculous viewing numbers maintained even today stems from this period then?

It helps, absolutely. But the Cowboys were supremely popular and *mostly* good all the way back to the 60's. So by the time the Cowboys reign was nearing an end, we are talking 3rd - 4th generation Cowboys fans/haters across America. 

So where would some of the top talent rank, in an all time list? For example, is Aikman a top 10 QB of all time? I presume Larry Allen and Irving are well up there for their positions. My old man really liked Novacek, was he one of these very best for his position types at the time?

The Cowboys did have some 'all time' top talent, but thats not really the reason they were so amazing. It was more of, they had a top ~5-10 player current (90's) NFL player at almost every single position. Its like (hyperbole) if you took the entire all pro list and comprised a team of nothing but the 2nd team all-pro players. Are they the very best? No. But is that squad insanely stacked and able to crush everyone else? Yes. 

As for all-timers:

Larry Allen is debated as the GOAT OG.

Deion Sanders is debated as the GOAT DB.

Erik Williams would have gone down as an all time OT if not for his accident. 

E Smith was an all time top tier RB. 

Irvin and Aikman had the talent of an all time WR/QB, but our offensive strategy hurt them.

I keep seeing comments about the 90s Cowboys like ...Jerry chased Johnson away, and Johnson leaving was the reason why it fell apart. Would you go along with that at all?

Sorry....I'm inquisitive . 

Jimmy and Jerry's divorce was pretty much entirely mutual. Jimmy wanted to move back to Florida. He had already planned to quit and had tried the year before as well. Jerry was difficult to work for back then, but he did beg Jimmy to stay. I wouldnt blame either of them. Both of them were (perceived) kings of their craft, super rich, massive egos and had different visions for their lives. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Wasnt just him, a lot of players were wild. Newton got busted w/dog fighting and 200#'s of weed. 

It helps, absolutely. But the Cowboys were supremely popular and *mostly* good all the way back to the 60's. So by the time the Cowboys reign was nearing an end, we are talking 3rd - 4th generation Cowboys fans/haters across America. 

The Cowboys did have some 'all time' top talent, but thats not really the reason they were so amazing. It was more of, they had a top ~5-10 player current (90's) NFL player at almost every single position. Its like (hyperbole) if you took the entire all pro list and comprised a team of nothing but the 2nd team all-pro players. Are they the very best? No. But is that squad insanely stacked and able to crush everyone else? Yes. 

As for all-timers:

Larry Allen is debated as the GOAT OG.

Deion Sanders is debated as the GOAT DB.

Erik Williams would have gone down as an all time OT if not for his accident. 

E Smith was an all time top tier RB. 

Irvin and Aikman had the talent of an all time WR/QB, but our offensive strategy hurt them.

Jimmy and Jerry's divorce was pretty much entirely mutual. Jimmy wanted to move back to Florida. He had already planned to quit and had tried the year before as well. Jerry was difficult to work for back then, but he did beg Jimmy to stay. I wouldnt blame either of them. Both of them were (perceived) kings of their craft, super rich, massive egos and had different visions for their lives. 

Good stuff, thanks Matts! Very interesting period in NFL for me.

*can't believe I forgot to mention Emmitt, but I guess it goes without saying.

Edited by Hunter2_1