Week 10: Lions 🦁 and Tigers 🐯 and a “Football Team,” Oh my!

turtle28

Another reason we’re seeing the results were seeing is due to Rivera who thought he needed a year to evaluate the roster so he completely sat free agency out. We had a butt load of cap space and improved almost nothing with it.

Watching Miami and how improved they are after not just sitting out the off-season gives me hope for next season. We have 8 draft choices and a treasure trove of cap space so there is no excuse to not fill some of the holes this roster has. If they do nothing again and just rely on the draft then this will be a short stay for Rivera. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

People can bash the DL all they want but our LBs are god awful. RBs and TEs are simply running wide open and QBs don’t have to hold the ball. I would bet if you could track it QBs probably get the ball off much quicker against us than they do other teams. It doesn’t help matters that our safety’s suck too. Going into this season relying on KPL, Bostic and Thomas Davis was just stupid. So while it’s fun to beat up on the DL, ignoring that the LBs are getting beat left and right is dumb. They have to do something about LB and safety. 

Yes, our LBs need a major upgrade. The only one we have who should be starting in Holcomb and even that’s debatable. We need to sign 1 or 2 new ones and also draft at least 1. I’d also still move Collins to WLB and start Curl or Everrett at SS next year. We also need to upgrade the FS position although Everrett hasn’t been awful, I just think we can do better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Another reason we’re seeing the results were seeing is due to Rivera who thought he needed a year to evaluate the roster so he completely sat free agency out. We had a butt load of cap space and improved almost nothing with it.

Watching Miami and how improved they are after not just sitting out the off-season gives me hope for next season. We have 8 draft choices and a treasure trove of cap space so there is no excuse to not fill some of the holes this roster has. If they do nothing again and just rely on the draft then this will be a short stay for Rivera. 

With no penalty being so far under the cap this year. Much as I dont like it fan wise. I cant blame Dan for not wanting to fork over any and sticking it in his pocket. Id of done the same.

Its the nature of the beast. Fans keep wanting to view the NFL as some form of competition. When for 80% of the teams out there its looked at as a business to make money for the owners.

39 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Yes, 15 of his 55 attempts, or 27% of his throws went beyond ten air yards. So .. yay?
  2. 12 of 15, or 80% occurred after they were trailing by 21 points.

We all know Alex Smith isn’t the answer. But there are guys showing they can catch balls across from Terry and Cam is actually getting open. A TE to pair with Thomas and a OL and QB are still pretty much the flashing signs of weakness on our team. I’d expect us to actually make some plays in FA this offseason

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No big Rivera apologist, but if that was reversed, they’d be crushing him for not making halftime adjustments. 

The point is, bad teams score less points than their opponents. It’s not super-instructive to look at small sample splits like that — but from watching the games, it has frequently felt as though we struggle pretty badly to move the ball against base defenses when they’re walked up challenging receivers and bringing more pressure. When they’ve backed things off and are playing more zone or off-man with less pressures dialed up, it kinda camouflages the shortcomings of our receivers and OL. The receivers who can’t get open against press man have more space to operate, and the OL that can’t pick up blitzes or hold up one-on-one gets a respite. 

In other words, I don’t think it’s a failure of Rivera and staff to have them prepared or “up” for the games. I think they’re just a really bad offensive unit, and they don’t start to move the ball much until things open up for them a little. Against Dallas — the one team they played with less talent on the field than them — they sure didn’t have any trouble getting out of the gates. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Haven't we all learned by now? Washington is only allowed one good half per game.

Ha! That’s what I told Al or something like that. Gruden was gold in the first half sucked in the second half bc we couldn’t run to protect leads and our D sucked every year he was here. 

Now Ron is the opposite 

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

No big Rivera apologist, but if that was reversed, they’d be crushing him for not making halftime adjustments. 

The point is, bad teams score less points than their opponents. It’s not super-instructive to look at small sample splits like that — but from watching the games, it has frequently felt as though we struggle pretty badly to move the ball against base defenses when they’re walked up challenging receivers and bringing more pressure. When they’ve backed things off and are playing more zone or off-man with less pressures dialed up, it kinda camouflages the shortcomings of our receivers and OL. The receivers who can’t get open against press man have more space to operate, and the OL that can’t pick up blitzes or hold up one-on-one gets a respite. 

In other words, I don’t think it’s a failure of Rivera and staff to have them prepared or “up” for the games. I think they’re just a really bad offensive unit, and they don’t start to move the ball much until things open up for them a little. Against Dallas — the one team they played with less talent on the field than them — they sure didn’t have any trouble getting out of the gates. 

remake bingo GIF