Simmons / Bolles Watch

AKRNA

This to me is one of the biggest stories of our team now. Two budding stars, both in contract years and both playing lights out.

PFF just named both to their mid-season All Star Team. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team

They're both deserving of a big payday and we can only franchise one. We've passed the trading deadline so letting either walk gets us a 3rd or 4th rd pick. This franchise has a really poor track record when it comes to retaining it's own. 

Thoughts?

I understand why Elway initially held off on both, Simmons wanted too much and Bolles had some serious flaws.

I think the best thing to do is try to begin working out long-term deals with both now. They might want to hold off until after the season as, with 8 games left, both could suffer a catastrophic injury. Better act quickly, IMO, before their respective prices get even higher.

• Like 2

So after cutting Bouye, we’ll have almost $44M in estimated cap space. I think we could restructure Von, Casey, and Jackson, which might free up another $10M. Bolles at $15M and Simmons at $14M is about where I’d slot them, which would leave us with about $25M to finish the roster. Notable FA’s remaining would be Harris, AJ, and Lindsay. Harris at $9M, AJ and Lindsay both at 2nd round tenders would bring us to $9.5M in space with 43 players on the roster. A little tight, but not really a problem. 

52 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So after cutting Bouye, we’ll have almost $44M in estimated cap space. I think we could restructure Von, Casey, and Jackson, which might free up another $10M. Bolles at $15M and Simmons at $14M is about where I’d slot them, which would leave us with about $25M to finish the roster. Notable FA’s remaining would be Harris, AJ, and Lindsay. Harris at $9M, AJ and Lindsay both at 2nd round tenders would bring us to $9.5M in space with 43 players on the roster. A little tight, but not really a problem. 

Could be wrong and I hope I am but I could see Von playing elsewhere next year depending on the $$

• Like 1

Von is a guy where I want to put my head aside and just hope he stays in Denver for the entirety of his career 

•  

As with everything, it depends on the money. But I would love to see him retire a Bronco. He was, finally, taking a leadership role before the injury. I think he could be the heart-and-soul of this team as we hit a stride in 1-2 years. Those guys are very important from a culture standpoint. 

• Like 1

I think what happens with Von is mostly up to him. He'll be 32 coming off a serious ankle injury. Right now his cap hit for 2021 is $22 million with a dead cap of around $4 mil. 

He's already earned $126 million in his career so money shouldn't be his main issue. If he wants to stay in Denver and take a huge pay cut I'm all for it. If he's still chasing top dollar we let him go.

• Like 1

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see who sticks around on defense. I think we can all agree this would have been an awesome group if healthy at every level but we haven't gotten those breaks and it feels like it's now an injury or two away from completely busting. 

I hope Von will be amenable to an extension that gives him a more reasonable cap hit for the next 2-3 years. I'd hate to lose Kareem Jackson next year, there's really no depth at safety and he and Simmons together bring a lot to the defense. Casey I think may come down to a decision about extending Shelby, who might be the better player right now. Bouye's play down the stretch will decide his fate because good corner play is just so valuable, you may try to get the number down but I doubt they'd cut him if he fits well. You try to approach all of them about lower hits since there's not much guaranteed money between the group and the COVID market could be tough. 

• Like 2

Something kinda lost in Sundays thrashing in Vegas is David Bakhtiari resetting the tackle market. A couple of weeks after Ronnie Stanley signs a 5 year 98 mil extension, which is pretty reasonable honestly, Bakhtiari gets 105 mil for 4 years. Obviously Bolles doesn't have the track record of either of these guys but no doubt his agent is going to point his finger at those deals as a starting point. Probably forces us to use the tag on him this year imo.

Denver will keep one of these guys, but not both. I wouldn't be shocked to see us keep Bolles but part ways with Simmons. Bolles has been significantly better this season, maybe something finally stuck. Given our pathetic track record with OTs, I'd be inclined to keep him.

The Stanley/Bakhtiari deals, IMO, shouldn't change the market for Bolles. He's not as good as either of them, and no one is going to pay him that kind of money. If he demands that money, let him walk and sign Simmons.

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

Simmons has been a great tackler and made some big plays one thing that gets over looked however is he has been credited with giving up 7 TDs so far this season after just 1 last season. 

He is having to play a lot more man coverage this year.

Without Von, we have such a poor 4 man pass rush. This means we are blitzing all the time on 3rd down. Blitzing = man coverage on the back end and very few 2 man safety looks. 

Because we leave our outside CBs on the same side, teams often go trips to one side, TE iso to the other. This means you're getting a Safety on a WR and that is often Simmons.

He got smoked in Atlanta in 1v1 coverage vs a WR (Powell, I think?) for a TD in the redzone on a pretty simple out route.