2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Apparently Jaguars have been linked to Martin Mayhew and Dave Ziegler according to ESPN.

Tell the Jaguars that I accept. I'll have them back in the playoffs within two years. If not, I'll return 75% of the money they paid me and resign. Let's be frank, how much worse could I be than the last few guys? L-O-L. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Tell the Jaguars that I accept. I'll have them back in the playoffs within two years. If not, I'll return 75% of the money they paid me and resign. Let's be frank, how much worse could I be than the last few guys? L-O-L. 

Shack Harris, Gene Smith, and Dave Caldwell. Bringing you Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert, and Blake Bortles...

• Like 1

I know some people have expressed concern at his lack of experience in the NFL, but Brandon Staley might be the defensive version of Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. He's legitimately brilliant. I think he's the best DC in the NFL. I hope NFL teams pass on him. But if I am being honest, he's a risk worth taking. People were worried about McVay's age and inexperience. Now, imagine being one of the team's that passed on him that off-season. Imagine being a team that considered him the off-season before that and passed for an ineffective HC. It's better to be early than late.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I know some people have expressed concern at his lack of experience in the NFL, but Brandon Staley might be the defensive version of Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. He's legitimately brilliant. I think he's the best DC in the NFL. I hope NFL teams pass on him. But if I am being honest, he's a risk worth taking. People were worried about McVay's age and inexperience. Now, imagine being one of the team's that passed on him that off-season. Imagine being a team that considered him the off-season before that and passed for an ineffective HC. It's better to be early than late.

Does Staley have the connections and experience that McVay had?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

He's got some pretty extensive experience dating back to 2006 at NIU under Joe Novak and Jerry Kill. Couple small schools, then at Tennessee in 2012. 

The big one is he was once at John Carroll, which seems to be a huge rub these days. 

Last 3 years were spent between Chicago and Denver, both of whom had/have pretty solid coaching connections. 

Might not have McVay level connections, but he's certainly not totally inexperienced or lacking for shoulder rubs. 

If he gets an endorsement, he's a lock. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

McVay had connections, yes, but I think the biggest reason he was able to pull such a good staff was how highly respected he was around the NFL. Staley has worked with Nagy, Fangio, and McVay in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Gruden (through the McVay connection) would be his OC choice. It would be like Wade to McVay. You grab an experienced former HC who has credibility around the NFL to handle the other side of the ball while you learn the ropes.

EDIT: But to more directly answer your question, Staley doesn't have quite the experience or connections McVay did. McVay had strong connections with both the Gruden and Shanahan networks. Staley doesn't quite have that.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

McVay had connections, yes, but I think the biggest reason he was able to pull such a good staff was how highly respected he was around the NFL. Staley has worked with Nagy, Fangio, and McVay in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Gruden (through the McVay connection) would be his OC choice. It would be like Wade to McVay. You grab an experienced former HC who has credibility around the NFL to handle the other side of the ball while you learn the ropes.

EDIT: But to more directly answer your question, Staley doesn't have quite the experience or connections McVay did. McVay had strong connections with both the Gruden and Shanahan networks. Staley doesn't quite have that.

People also forget that McVay's grandfather was the GM of the 9ers in the Montana/ Young era. He essentially grew up in NFL circles. I'm actually family friends with them from when they were living out in California and Sean was just getting hired in Washington. used to watch De la Salle games with him when I was in 8th grade and he'd talk about family dinners with the Grudens when he and his brother were kids. Very few, if any, coaches have the connections he did. (not to say he hasn't deserved to rise up the ranks as quickly as he has, clearly he's proven he's in the upper echelon)

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, .Buzz said:

Tony Pauline said basically it's all about Dorsey/Bienimy for Houston/Atlanta/Jacksonville right now. They're the hot ticket.

Does anyone know how credible he is in NFL circles? I know he's a good one for college/college prospects declaring.

I mean, it's not like he's the only one mentioning the Dorsey/Bienimy connection.

17 minutes ago, ScoDucks823 said:

People also forget that McVay's grandfather was the GM of the 9ers in the Montana/ Young era. He essentially grew up in NFL circles. I'm actually family friends with them from when they were living out in California and Sean was just getting hired in Washington. used to watch De la Salle games with him when I was in 8th grade and he'd talk about family dinners with the Grudens when he and his brother were kids. Very few, if any, coaches have the connections he did. (not to say he hasn't deserved to rise up the ranks as quickly as he has, clearly he's proven he's in the upper echelon)

McVay has a brother? Surprised nobody has tried to hire him lol.