2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

McVay has a brother? Surprised nobody has tried to hire him lol.

Lol, he was my brother's best friend in high school actually. Crazy athlete (Sean was georgia player over calvin Johnson, then dealt with injuries at Miami of Ohio, and their dad was a DB at indiana) but doesn't work in football. Kid had an absolute cannon and should have been a QB in high school, but DLS tends to play favorites with kids that came up in their camps and he never got a shot. If he had gone to a different high school, would not have shocked me if he tore it up as a college QB. 

Edited by ScoDucks823
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's not like he's the only one mentioning the Dorsey/Bienimy connection.

Yeah, what he's saying though is that seems to be the prized duo/what those three teams have at the top of their wish list.

Have a hard time believing that personally, but alas...

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

McVay had connections, yes, but I think the biggest reason he was able to pull such a good staff was how highly respected he was around the NFL. Staley has worked with Nagy, Fangio, and McVay in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Gruden (through the McVay connection) would be his OC choice. It would be like Wade to McVay. You grab an experienced former HC who has credibility around the NFL to handle the other side of the ball while you learn the ropes.

EDIT: But to more directly answer your question, Staley doesn't have quite the experience or connections McVay did. McVay had strong connections with both the Gruden and Shanahan networks. Staley doesn't quite have that.

Well hopefully we have stability at the OC position if that scenario does come to fruition with someone like Gruden staying more than one year. Herbert has had too many offensive changes at the collegiate level and also at the NFL once Lynn leaves. Otherwise, we go the offensive HC route.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Random predictions ahead of week 14:

Detroit Lions - Robert Saleh

Atlanta Falcons - Joe Brady

Jacksonville Jaguars - Raheem Morris

Houston Texans - Brian Daboll (Sorry it's the Jack Easterby connection).

Chicago Bears - Brandon Staley

LAC - Eric Bieniemy 

New York Jets - Jim Harbaugh 

Raheem Morris? Bleh.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Random predictions ahead of week 14:

Detroit Lions - Robert Saleh

Atlanta Falcons - Joe Brady

Jacksonville Jaguars - Raheem Morris

Houston Texans - Brian Daboll (Sorry it's the Jack Easterby connection).

Chicago Bears - Brandon Staley

LAC - Eric Bieniemy 

New York Jets - Jim Harbaugh 

I couldn't see Harbaugh in NYC. SF was a logical fit after already being in Palo Alto. But from accounts I've heard, he's Michigan through and through. 

Of the likely openings, I'd peg him for Detroit and maybe Chicago. But I highly doubt he leaves the midwest. 

Taking your openings and candidates:

Detroit: Jim Harbaugh sticks around Michigan and pulls a Detroit team that doesn't lack for talent out of purgatory.

Atlanta: Joe Brady. The Falcons need to have a HC  that focuses on the whole team and their strength (offense) and a DC who's sole task is fixing their defense. 

Jacksonville: Raheem Morris for the inverse of Brady in Atlanta. 

Houston: Brian Daboll. I agree. 

Chicago: Brandon Staley. He already has ties to Chicago and will mostly leave the offense to whoever he tabs as OC.  

LAC: Robert Saleh. Easy move down the coast to a team with solid defensive pieces. He'll probably bring an OC in that establishes a consistent scheme. Having coached under Shanahan, I'm sure he's picked up a thing or two, and Herbert in a Shanahan-esque system would be fun to watch with their other O personnel.

NYJ: Eric Bienemy. He and John Dorsey are apparently the hot ticket right now. He's not flashy personally, and has that old school respectability that won't wilt under the weight of the Big Apple. Considering they're likely taking Lawrence, they're going to need someone who understands offense, establishing an identity, and scouting players. He seems to be a regular at the Combine and has assuredly picked up some tricks there for scouting purposes. Rookie QBs benefit from strong run games, Bienemy's forte. 

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I couldn't see Harbaugh in NYC. SF was a logical fit after already being in Palo Alto. But from accounts I've heard, he's Michigan through and through. 

Of the likely openings, I'd peg him for Detroit and maybe Chicago. But I highly doubt he leaves the midwest. 

Taking your openings and candidates:

Detroit: Jim Harbaugh sticks around Michigan and pulls a Detroit team that doesn't lack for talent out of purgatory.

Atlanta: Joe Brady. The Falcons need to have a HC  that focuses on the whole team and their strength (offense) and a DC who's sole task is fixing their defense. 

Jacksonville: Raheem Morris for the inverse of Brady in Atlanta. 

Houston: Brian Daboll. I agree. 

Chicago: Brandon Staley. He already has ties to Chicago and will mostly leave the offense to whoever he tabs as OC.  

LAC: Robert Saleh. Easy move down the coast to a team with solid defensive pieces. He'll probably bring an OC in that establishes a consistent scheme. Having coached under Shanahan, I'm sure he's picked up a thing or two, and Herbert in a Shanahan-esque system would be fun to watch with their other O personnel.

NYJ: Eric Bienemy. He and John Dorsey are apparently the hot ticket right now. He's not flashy personally, and has that old school respectability that won't wilt under the weight of the Big Apple. Considering they're likely taking Lawrence, they're going to need someone who understands offense, establishing an identity, and scouting players. He seems to be a regular at the Combine and has assuredly picked up some tricks there for scouting purposes. Rookie QBs benefit from strong run games, Bienemy's forte. 

I don’t mind Saleh in LAC, with McDaniels as OC of course. 

With regards to NYJ, are you implying that they get rid of Douglas as GM and get both Dorsey and Bieniemy? 

Edited by Xenos

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

With regards to NYJ, are you implying that they get rid of Douglas as GM and get both Dorsey and Bieniemy? 

Do you have a gm opening? Someone in the niner forum said that there was talk that is a Peters / saleh combo

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I highly doubt it in regards to Dorsey. 

I only meant that with them being the hot ticket, Bienemy is probably the Jets top target. I expect them to throw enough at him to break up that individual ticket.