2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Exactly - one key theme working around here is that the Texans need someone who will unite the team.

I think it's pretty safe to say the Texans were pretty fractured under Bill O'Brien. Plenty of talent, but no real cohesion. O'Brien whittled away the talent ...and never really brought the team together in any particular way.

Someone over here said it the best - the Texans don't need an expert on the Xs and Os, they need an expert with the Jimmy and Joes...

Yea that was my bad i thought you were discussing a different team the texans definitely need a different type of coach then the jags who i thought you were originally discussing.

A lot of praise about Saleh being a guy that can relate to the players. Plus he owns up to his mistakes and doesnt take the easy way out of blaming his players. Great defensive mind hc. what are your thoughts on him for texans? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

A lot of praise about Saleh being a guy that can relate to the players. Plus he owns up to his mistakes and doesnt take the easy way out of blaming his players. Great defensive mind hc. what are your thoughts on him for texans? 

Saleh got his start in Houston, as an assistant to the Casserly regime - so the McNair family is familiar with him.

I would be very good with Selah, as he's that sort of "leader of men" who could get the players and coaches on the right page and get people to play above their pay grades. He seems like the sort of guy who would let coordinators coordinate, would let players play and would stick to the big picture things you need a HC to work on.

If Selah was the option, I'd be OK with the pick. 

23 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

What about GM, wouldn't you want to find one first before hiring a HC, since that is the norm? I am a big fan of Daboll and do not want to see him leave just yet as I think he has built a great offense and has helped Allen get to the next step. It will have to be a perfect fit for him to leave too as he is a local guy in the Buffalo area and he may not rush to jump ship to a new team just yet. Jags would be appealing with a top choice at a young qb and the draft capital as well as the Jets but I just dont know if he is ready to make that move. 

I imagine they're doing background on both regardless. They may even be talking to GMs who are also talking about guys they are looking at connecting with/have interest in pairing with.

After watching the Dolphins under Flores if I were looking for a head coach I'd pay great attention to any assistant or coordinator who had great insight toward the amoeba defense. That's such a separator and frustrater if you do it correctly. Given current rules and application of them, not many defensive schemes can thwart NFL passing games. Like the Patriots, the Dolphin defenders aren't much individually or in standard sets. They would certainly disappoint if grabbed elsewhere in a humdrum defense. But the Miami scheme allows them to create chaos and collectively overachieve. 

I realize there is a fine line. This was also attempted with Patricia. But I'll continue to believe the Lions franchise for whatever reason is not a great indicator of anything.

Otherwise I'd look at college guys. Wide open spaces and cheap points. The Canes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is going to be plucked away by somebody within a year or so. 

Marv Lewis I think would be a sleeper pick for Houston (with Eric Bieniemy as the favorite as the hottest OC candidate and the selling point of getting Watson, and a GM from KC makes sense).

If I'm not mistaken Marv is a pretty religious guy and Jack Easterby is one of the highest ranking people in the Texans organization right now. Marv also has experience in an organization with a small scouting department and being involved in evaluations. He has assistants that are recently unemployed or will be like Hue Jackson or Jay Gruden (I would lean towards Jay). Paul Guenther might be fired from Oakland and be able to reunite as well, although not the selling point he'd be cohesive. I think the Texans could look at that potential staff and see stability, which they clearly valued given they kept BOB until absolute meltdown. I think Marv Lewis would have a legitimate chance to succeed too, if paired with a different front office less willing to take on boom-bust character questions and actually spend in free agency. I think the fact that Marv has the personnel evaluation experience would make him actually much higher on someone like Easterby's list given Easterby has no experience in that regard and it's a fairly rare trait for coaches to have. I think a front office could also say that Marv's lack of playoff wins is less indicative of future success given Lewis would be working with Watson instead of Dalton. It's not anywhere near as exciting as a Bieniemy hire, but if the Cowboys went for a retread in McCarthy I don't think it's outrageous that the Texans may go for a low floor/likely playoff contention hire with experience.

13 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

What about GM, wouldn't you want to find one first before hiring a HC, since that is the norm? I am a big fan of Daboll and do not want to see him leave just yet as I think he has built a great offense and has helped Allen get to the next step. It will have to be a perfect fit for him to leave too as he is a local guy in the Buffalo area and he may not rush to jump ship to a new team just yet. Jags would be appealing with a top choice at a young qb and the draft capital as well as the Jets but I just dont know if he is ready to make that move. 

I don't know how often it happens, but I do know that teams may interview a coach and ask him for a list of GM candidates he would be comfortable working with, interview them together, let them connect, etc, so that you hire them in concert and they are familiar with one another and already have a sort of camaraderie together.  I want to say Cleveland did this last year (there were rumors of certain GMs attached to certain coaches) and the 49ers I'm reasonably sure had Shanny locked in as their HC before hiring Lynch. The reports in mid January were that they were hiring Shanny and he was going to accept, even though it didn't become official until a week into February. Lynch was hired a couple of days before the end of January. Rumors were that Shanny was going to get the 49ers job and Lynch actually called him and said that he would take the GM job and work with him lol. Lynch basically recommended himself for the job to shanny as they had known each other forever given that he played for his dad. Shanny brought it to the 49ers brass and pop goes the weasel. 

23 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It’s the norm. But recently it seems that a HC first and then a GM that fits him works well also. After all, McDermott was hired by the Bills before Beane became GM. Before that it was Shanahan and then Lynch.

Edited by Xenos

Watson’s personal coach weighs in on getting a HC first and breaking the norm. It’s all about maximizing Watson’s potential.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-thread-the-texans-have-deshaun

If the goal is to maximize their transcendent talent — and it’d be borderline crazy not to — what should the Texans do? Avery has some thoughts. Our brains are wired to think it’s best to hire a GM, first, and then allow that GM to hire a head coach. To Avery, that isn’t the best order of operations with a talent like Watson.

“I think they have to figure out who is the head coach who best fits Deshaun and the things he wants to do,” Avery says, “that sets him up to be successful both as a play-caller and as an organizational leader. And then from there, they should find a GM who can work around the things that the head coach wants to do. Find people who fit to that system. Not vice versa.”

Avery hears the Texans are instead leaning toward hiring the GM first. 

A “poor decision,” he says, if you’re hoping to maximize Watson’s abilities.

“This has to be quarterback-centric. And GMs don’t think about things that way,” Avery says. “They think about team-building — X, Y, Z — and that’s important but Deshaun has shown he can play at the highest level no matter what the structure of the system around him is. Now, if he gets into system that really makes it about showing his greatness? Allowing him to be great? Then, I think you’ll see somebody who can carry the team to a championship level with that around him. You need a head coach who knows, ‘This is what we need for Deshaun to be successful.’ I think GMs look at it like — ‘Oh, draft picks,’ those sorts of things — not ‘How do we make the best player on our team better? And we win based on that.’” 

Figuring out who really runs the show on teams can be tricky but, when you look around the NFL, some of the best quarterbacks are in systems where it sure appears the head coach is judge, jury and executioner. Andy Reid, above all, is the standard. He runs the show in Kansas City with his fingerprints all over personnel and the playbook.

Avery commends OC Tim Kelly for opening things up more post-O’Brien, but he believes Watson has mostly excelled in spite of his offensive scheme since entering the NFL. 

“The offense was set up for somebody like Tom Brady,” says Avery, referencing O’Brien’s time with Brady as an assistant 2007-2011. “It didn’t necessarily blend his amazing ability to run and escape out of the pocket but also be precise from within the pocket. He’s one of the few people who can do both things. You’re going to need a head coach who understands, ‘Let’s create an offense that truly requires a defense to defend 53 and a third (yards wide). Every single blade of grass on the field.’ A lot of the things that Mahomes can do as far as pushing the ball vertically and moving inside the pocket, those are the same things Deshaun does but the offense doesn’t create the same level of stress.

57 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Watson’s personal coach weighs in on getting a HC first and breaking the norm. It’s all about maximizing Watson’s potential.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-thread-the-texans-have-deshaun

If the goal is to maximize their transcendent talent — and it’d be borderline crazy not to — what should the Texans do? Avery has some thoughts. Our brains are wired to think it’s best to hire a GM, first, and then allow that GM to hire a head coach. To Avery, that isn’t the best order of operations with a talent like Watson.

“I think they have to figure out who is the head coach who best fits Deshaun and the things he wants to do,” Avery says, “that sets him up to be successful both as a play-caller and as an organizational leader. And then from there, they should find a GM who can work around the things that the head coach wants to do. Find people who fit to that system. Not vice versa.”

Avery hears the Texans are instead leaning toward hiring the GM first. 

A “poor decision,” he says, if you’re hoping to maximize Watson’s abilities.

“This has to be quarterback-centric. And GMs don’t think about things that way,” Avery says. “They think about team-building — X, Y, Z — and that’s important but Deshaun has shown he can play at the highest level no matter what the structure of the system around him is. Now, if he gets into system that really makes it about showing his greatness? Allowing him to be great? Then, I think you’ll see somebody who can carry the team to a championship level with that around him. You need a head coach who knows, ‘This is what we need for Deshaun to be successful.’ I think GMs look at it like — ‘Oh, draft picks,’ those sorts of things — not ‘How do we make the best player on our team better? And we win based on that.’” 

Figuring out who really runs the show on teams can be tricky but, when you look around the NFL, some of the best quarterbacks are in systems where it sure appears the head coach is judge, jury and executioner. Andy Reid, above all, is the standard. He runs the show in Kansas City with his fingerprints all over personnel and the playbook.

Avery commends OC Tim Kelly for opening things up more post-O’Brien, but he believes Watson has mostly excelled in spite of his offensive scheme since entering the NFL. 

“The offense was set up for somebody like Tom Brady,” says Avery, referencing O’Brien’s time with Brady as an assistant 2007-2011. “It didn’t necessarily blend his amazing ability to run and escape out of the pocket but also be precise from within the pocket. He’s one of the few people who can do both things. You’re going to need a head coach who understands, ‘Let’s create an offense that truly requires a defense to defend 53 and a third (yards wide). Every single blade of grass on the field.’ A lot of the things that Mahomes can do as far as pushing the ball vertically and moving inside the pocket, those are the same things Deshaun does but the offense doesn’t create the same level of stress.

IMO, that is a pretty myopic outlook for Waton's personal coach. A little ignorant and naïve too. 

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

IMO, that is a pretty myopic outlook for Waton's personal coach. A little ignorant and naïve too. 

Although I like Quincy Avery, this is how he always is. He stumps for his guys at every turn/has a pretty tunnel vision outlook in regards to guys he's worked with.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Of course it’s myopic. But given the fact that it’s a QB driven league and the success of someone like Mahomes under Reid, I can see why he’s having such a narrow view of maximizing Watson’s statistical success. Obviously, at the end of the day it’s about getting wins and a ring, and you need to have a balanced approach.

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Of course it’s myopic. But given the fact that it’s a QB driven league and the success of someone like Mahomes under Reid, I can see why he’s having such a narrow view of maximizing Watson’s statistical success. Obviously, at the end of the day it’s about getting wins and a ring, and you need to have a balanced approach.

I mean I can follow his logic, but there is a reason why GM's are above HC in the league hierarchy. The GM doesn't just make personnel decisions, that is one branch of a multi branch position. 

23 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

After watching the Dolphins under Flores if I were looking for a head coach I'd pay great attention to any assistant or coordinator who had great insight toward the amoeba defense. That's such a separator and frustrater if you do it correctly. Given current rules and application of them, not many defensive schemes can thwart NFL passing games. Like the Patriots, the Dolphin defenders aren't much individually or in standard sets. They would certainly disappoint if grabbed elsewhere in a humdrum defense. But the Miami scheme allows them to create chaos and collectively overachieve. 

I realize there is a fine line. This was also attempted with Patricia. But I'll continue to believe the Lions franchise for whatever reason is not a great indicator of anything.

Otherwise I'd look at college guys. Wide open spaces and cheap points. The Canes offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is going to be plucked away by somebody within a year or so. 

Patrick Graham fits this to a T, but he also stinks so no one should want him on their staff and he should just stay in NY forever.