2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

19 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Too much thinking going on. If you have a chance to get Trevor Lawrence, then that's the best job and it's not particularly close. I can't believe there's so much nonsense regarding current personnel or ownership. 

Bill Parcells talks Bill Belichick's defection from New York Jets - Sports  Illustrated

There's a reason this happened is all I'll say. 

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

Do the Falcons have the pieces in place on one side of the ball? I would say the Chargers have equal talent level with Herbert being younger and on his rookie deal still.

Yes. On offense, they have to make an upgrade at LG. RT McGary has shown improvement this year but needs to continue. Then at WR, they have two guys who when healthy are easily top 5 or top 10 guys and a TE who has potential to be a Pro Bowl guy. They need RBs but those are a dime a dozen. Also, defense has some good pieces that a good pass rusher added to that side and a better scheme would help improve. They've gotten much better under Raheem Morris too (averaging only 23PPG under Morris)

5 hours ago, Starless said:

Bill Parcells talks Bill Belichick's defection from New York Jets - Sports  Illustrated

There's a reason this happened is all I'll say. 

Woody Johnson was barely the owner when this happened. He had just purchased the team Belichick had a relationship with Kraft already and Parcells sticking around was something Bill didn’t want even though he leeched back on to Parcells after he got fired by the Browns/Ravens.

Bill made the right choice at the end of the day but still it’s not an indictment on us since at that time we were a good team.

6 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Too much thinking going on. If you have a chance to get Trevor Lawrence, then that's the best job and it's not particularly close. I can't believe there's so much nonsense regarding current personnel or ownership. 

One dominant variable is superior to subjective claptrap all over the place

For example, Ron Rivera tied his possible last chance as a head coach to Dan Snyder with no QB on the roster. I think as fans we make a larger deal out of irrelevant variables because the media likes to write stories and post tweets but it’s 99% nonsense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Woody Johnson was barely the owner when this happened. He had just purchased the team Belichick had a relationship with Kraft already and Parcells sticking around was something Bill didn’t want even though he leeched back on to Parcells after he got fired by the Browns/Ravens.

Bill made the right choice at the end of the day but still it’s not an indictment on us since at that time we were a good team.

More a general statement that this kind of stuff does matter to a lot to many coaches. Putting myself in the shoes of any given candidate, I'd want to stay far the hell away from the Jets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Honestly I don’t see the point of dragging it out until the end of the year. Get a head start on who the new GM and HC can be. 

Well I mean when your competition for the top candidates aren't going to even consider interviewing or searching until the off season it doesn't really matter does it?

Just now, Drained said:

Well I mean when your competition for the top candidates aren't going to even consider interviewing or searching until the off season it doesn't really matter does it?

Nah.

It's a good feeling as a fan just to know it's done. But truthfully these guys can already start doing the legwork/compiling a list while the season is going and the HC is still in the building.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starless said:

More a general statement that this kind of stuff does matter to a lot to many coaches. Putting myself in the shoes of any given candidate, I'd want to stay far the hell away from the Jets. 

You get the opportunity to turn a team around and be the face for it + you mold that franchise into what you want it to be with the help of the GM. Coming to a place like Houston or LAC where ownership is super picky and they already have an ethos to how they run things may be an issue even if you get that nice headstart.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

It’s a cash poor organization who has had to deal without fans - and thus, without revenue - to pay for organizational costs due to COVID. 

Every team gets the same cut of league revenue for PLAYER salaries, hence the salary cap, but what owners make from their home market - tickets, parking, concessions, luxury boxes, promotions with business, stadium naming rights, etc - they use to pay their coaches, front office, improve facilities, etc. Rich owners, like Paul Allen or Robert Kraft,  can backfill their teams’ non-player expenses. 

In short, the rich owners (and that’s a relative term when we’re taking about 30 billionaires) have a bigger advantage now due to the lockdowns than they ever did before. The Chargers, like my Broncos, don’t have rich owners to pay out coaches’ contracts, thus Lynn could very well keep his job.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

On 12/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, y*so*blu said:

Think Jason Garrett's going to be on the table? Or are memories of The Clapper still too fresh?

He's done a pretty good job as Giants OC, I'll give him that, but I don't expect him to be a long-term fixture.

I hope he gets another shot and leaves the Giants. He's not an awful OC, but we can do much better. His play calling and insistence on the short passing game is killing the Giants offense.