The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

On 5/11/2021 at 10:13 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I have a lot of people in my life that would love to see him in Denver. 

Vegas just seems natural to me. 

I'm having a hard time one of the true bloods of the NFL would bow down to Rodgers... or any player.

Green Bay isn't like... the Bengals, Jaguars, or Texans even. They're a legit, history franchise like the 49'ers/Steelers etc that the team kinda is bigger than any player.

I really don't think the Packers or most NFL teams are going to let 1 guy(Rodgers) turn his back on a roster/franchise cause he's a little uncomfortable or upset. It's quite frankly all petty, imo, on Rodgers and is revealing the type of guy he is. EVEN if you did really want out, there was a way to do it better than draft night. Could of been similar to the Stafford situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm having a hard time one of the true bloods of the NFL would bow down to Rodgers... or any player.

Green Bay isn't like... the Bengals, Jaguars, or Texans even. They're a legit, history franchise like the 49'ers/Steelers etc that the team kinda is bigger than any player.

I really don't think the Packers or most NFL teams are going to let 1 guy(Rodgers) turn his back on a roster/franchise cause he's a little uncomfortable or upset. It's quite frankly all petty, imo, on Rodgers and is revealing the type of guy he is. EVEN if you did really want out, there was a way to do it better than draft night. Could of been similar to the Stafford situation.

Schefter reported that he held the info until draft night intentionally.  He said nothing happened on that day or even that week, it was just an accumulation of info and he released it that day.  Rodgers hasn't officially come out and instead was behind the scenes voicing his displeasure and others leaked it to the media.  That being said, his temper tantrum that the team drafted a QB is telling of his character and he seems to be going the same route as Favre.  

52 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That being said, his temper tantrum that the team drafted a QB is telling of his character and he seems to be going the same route as Favre.  

I don't necessarily "like" Rodgers or anything, but I understand why both he and Favre would have that reaction. I don't fault them for being bothered by it: Rodgers likely feels that his window is closing, and wants the team around him to improve.

I also understand why the organizations would've drafted QBs at those positions, and I don't fault them for making those decisions.

In my opinion, it's one of those things where both sides are justified.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I don't necessarily "like" Rodgers or anything, but I understand why both he and Favre would have that reaction. I don't fault them for being bothered by it: Rodgers likely feels that his window is closing, and wants the team around him to improve.

I also understand why the organizations would've drafted QBs at those positions, and I don't fault them for making those decisions.

In my opinion, it's one of those things where both sides are justified.

I agree with being upset, and I am sure there are issues with communication between them, but being upset and pushing your way out of a team that was a play or two away from the Super Bowl last year isn't a great look for the guy "trying to win in his closing window".  His team got better this year.  They were close last year, why not run it back?  Its an ego thing, on both sides (GM and Rodgers).  And he likely will end up on a team that is worse than the Packers (maybe Denver is better with him but not by much IMO, and has a tougher road through the playoffs).  So if it truly is about winning in his closing window, why not stay in a crap division, a relatively crap conference and win with the team you were there with last year?  

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with being upset, and I am sure there are issues with communication between them, but being upset and pushing your way out of a team that was a play or two away from the Super Bowl last year isn't a great look for the guy "trying to win in his closing window".  His team got better this year.  They were close last year, why not run it back?  Its an ego thing, on both sides (GM and Rodgers).  And he likely will end up on a team that is worse than the Packers (maybe Denver is better with him but not by much IMO, and has a tougher road through the playoffs).  So if it truly is about winning in his closing window, why not stay in a crap division, a relatively crap conference and win with the team you were there with last year?  

Well, for one (and you alluded to this), I don't think Rodgers would push his way out to join a rebuild. If he leaves, he's hand-picking a contender, and two of those (pre-draft 49ers and Broncos) would likely be Super Bowl locks with Rodgers under center. Two, he has been the starter in GB for 13 seasons. He's arguably one of the top QBs in NFL history and has one Super Bowl. I think his frustration - for a number of reasons - has been building for some time. 

It's absolutely an ego thing, and, again, I don't blame either side for their approach. The front office will (and should) do what's best for this team long-term, and Rodgers will (and should) want what's best for the team's (and his) immediate success.

22 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, for one (and you alluded to this), I don't think Rodgers would push his way out to join a rebuild. If he leaves, he's hand-picking a contender, and two of those (pre-draft 49ers and Broncos) would likely be Super Bowl locks with Rodgers under center. Two, he has been the starter in GB for 13 seasons. He's arguably one of the top QBs in NFL history and has one Super Bowl. I think his frustration - for a number of reasons - has been building for some time. 

It's absolutely an ego thing, and, again, I don't blame either side for their approach. The front office will (and should) do what's best for this team long-term, and Rodgers will (and should) want what's best for the team's (and his) immediate success.

I agree with all of that except the SB lock part.  GB is just as much a SB contender as any other contender he may end up on.  In Denver he has Buffalo, KC, Cleveland and Baltimore to get through.  Also some up and coming teams like the Chargers, Colts, and Dolphins etc.  The 49ers would be solid but again I doubt they give up on Lance after trading multiple 1sts for him.  I also don't think they are SB locks given Tampa being in the NFC.  Tampa is the only real threat in the NFC.  The Rams and Seahawks and Cardinals are tough but not to that level.  And they would all be in the same division making it one of the toughest ways into the playoffs.  Dallas might be good, NYG may be better, Chicago still has a tough D but in general I wouldn't rank any of those teams ahead of the group he would have to go through in the AFC.  So just seems foolish to leave what he has and the continuity and legacy in GB for an unknown and tougher road to the playoffs and SB.  

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with all of that except the SB lock part.  GB is just as much a SB contender as any other contender he may end up on.  In Denver he has Buffalo, KC, Cleveland and Baltimore to get through.  Also some up and coming teams like the Chargers, Colts, and Dolphins etc.  The 49ers would be solid but again I doubt they give up on Lance after trading multiple 1sts for him.  I also don't think they are SB locks given Tampa being in the NFC.  Tampa is the only real threat in the NFC.  The Rams and Seahawks and Cardinals are tough but not to that level.  And they would all be in the same division making it one of the toughest ways into the playoffs.  Dallas might be good, NYG may be better, Chicago still has a tough D but in general I wouldn't rank any of those teams ahead of the group he would have to go through in the AFC.  So just seems foolish to leave what he has and the continuity and legacy in GB for an unknown and tougher road to the playoffs and SB.  

I largely agree, but a few notes:

- I mentioned pre-draft 49ers because, after the Lance pick, there's not a chance they trade for Rodgers.

- With the frustration involved, I think moving to a team as good as GB would be preferred by Rodgers. It's not just the quality of the roster, or their chance of success, but also a change of scenery with a legitimate contender.

- He'd likely also love "sticking it" to GB management. Winning a Super Bowl with another team and proving that they were "wrong" would do just that.

Otherwise I agree.

Question here as I don't know and it may be a stupid question, but can Rogers deny a trade? If he doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract, whats to keep GB to trading him to a garbage team? I mean, I guess he could sit out and it would look bad on GB, but I think he could be playing with fire.

45 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Question here as I don't know and it may be a stupid question, but can Rogers deny a trade? If he doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract, whats to keep GB to trading him to a garbage team? I mean, I guess he could sit out and it would look bad on GB, but I think he could be playing with fire.

So, I started typing a response and referenced the Gronkowski-Lions no-trade as an example, then had to do some (unsuccessful) research, then erased it all.

Sure, a player can refuse to play, but what if the deal is already official? If, in Gronk's case, the deal was already made, why didn't it go through, regardless of Gronkowski's sudden intent to retire?

The only answer I can come up with is that, in high-profile or large compensation cases, teams talk to the player before making the deal official. (Perhaps the team acquiring the player requires this to occur before they accept.)

Anyone know if there's a rule anywhere for such a situation?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Not knowing the history of the relationship between the GM and Rodgers it’s all speculation and media gossip.

I fully stand behind any player that has the time in that Rodgers does. After 13 years he owes Green Bay nothing. 

Meh... Idk. Hard-ball which is what GB is looking to do he owes the Packers 1 year of Football if he wants to play. He can throw the trade speculation, etc, but ultimately I think he sits out. Idk if he'll retire or outright sit out, cause Packers will fine him if he just sits. I'm not siding or saying who's right and wrong I just think Rodgers is idk DIVA'ish... but if it gets nasty... Packers hold most the cards really. An honestly idk if Rodgers can return to that locker-room and expect things to be, "OK."

An then I think in the next off-season his fate is decided on the Packers terms, Nothing suggest the Green Bay Packers will flex to a player. (*IMO)

And well of coarse if a team coughs up a couple future 1st rdp's that'll prolly change everything.

Edited by SimbaWho

The Pistons have finally done the tanking thing right.  And I am actually impressed with the rookies from last year.  Bey and Stewart won't be All Stars but they will be solid starters on a decent team.  Hayes was limited because of the hip but is still super young and showed some promise when he came back down the stretch.  I wish we would have played Sekou more down the stretch to see if he is worth developing but seems he may be a bust.  Now we just need some luck in the lottery to stay in the top 3/4 picks.  Would love to get Cade but Jalen Green or Mobley are probably better fits on this team.  Will be interesting to see what happens in the offseason.  If we can land another decent player in free agency along with a good draft we could work our way into the playoffs next year.  

• Like 1

Pistons had a great year tbh. All the rookies got tons of valuable playing time. Sucks that Killian went down early, but he showed flashes in the last month of so. Just gotta hope they don't get screwed in the lottery like the Wings did. I don't expect them to make the playoffs next year, but 22/23 playoffs seems like a safe bet.