The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

15 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The MLB draft is approaching. I’m reading more and more the Tigers are looking at position players.

Sounds that way but I think it would be dumb to let Leiter fall past them even if he is trying to price his way to the Red Sox.  I feel like our farm system is now bare for pitching but stronger with bats so adding another stud pitcher would be helpful there.  Plus he will be ready when Boyd is gone which is perfect timing and should give us a pretty darn good rotation with Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Manning, and Leiter.  Not to mention some pretty good bats to match.  Drafting a high school SS is so hard to project, and hopefully we arent picking this high again for a while so get an elite prospect with a high likelihood of transitioning to the majors. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Sounds that way but I think it would be dumb to let Leiter fall past them even if he is trying to price his way to the Red Sox.  I feel like our farm system is now bare for pitching but stronger with bats so adding another stud pitcher would be helpful there.  Plus he will be ready when Boyd is gone which is perfect timing and should give us a pretty darn good rotation with Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Manning, and Leiter.  Not to mention some pretty good bats to match.  Drafting a high school SS is so hard to project, and hopefully we arent picking this high again for a while so get an elite prospect with a high likelihood of transitioning to the majors. 

I don’t think you ever pass on elite pitching prospects.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

So, first the Tigers take a high school arm.

The Pistons rumoured to be shopping the 1st pick.

Yzerman just made a very questionable trade.

I'm not really against the Leddy trade at all. It was essentially a short bad contract for a longer, not-as-bad contract. We lost a late 2nd in the deal, which we could potentially recoup at the trade deadline, to get a solid veteran LHD, which this team lacks.

I'm hoping we protect Stecher and enter the 2021 season with Hronek, Seider and Stecher as our RHD, with Leddy, DeKeyser and Djoos/Cholowski as the LHD. Solid pairings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm not really against the Leddy trade at all. It was essentially a short bad contract for a longer, not-as-bad contract. We lost a late 2nd in the deal, which we could potentially recoup at the trade deadline, to get a solid veteran LHD, which this team lacks.

I'm hoping we protect Stecher and enter the 2021 season with Hronek, Seider and Stecher as our RHD, with Leddy, DeKeyser and Djoos/Cholowski as the LHD. Solid pairings.

Leddy wouldn’t have been protected in New York so giving up a second round pick is an overpay. Same thing as Holland throwing in a pick to acquire Duncan Keith. 

I don’t value picks in the NHL as highly as others however rebuilding teams really need to stockpile picks, especially high picks simply because of the miss ratio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Leddy wouldn’t have been protected in New York so giving up a second round pick is an overpay. Same thing as Holland throwing in a pick to acquire Duncan Keith. 

I don’t value picks in the NHL as highly as others however rebuilding teams really need to stockpile picks, especially high picks simply because of the miss ratio.

I largely agree.

I think the exchange of contracts is significant in this. Panik was also a "bad contract", but with two years left. In terms of the roster, Yzerman could've viewed him as the odd man out, but with a contract that no one would want.

In Leddy, we fill a need with a solid player that has an expiring contract that can be flipped at the deadline. With all of our draft capital, I think it makes sense.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I’m not buying the Pistons shopping the number 1 pick until it actually happens. And Jackson Jobe is a total stud. If he played in the majors right now, he’d have the best slider in the league. 

3 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

I’m not buying the Pistons shopping the number 1 pick until it actually happens. And Jackson Jobe is a total stud. If he played in the majors right now, he’d have the best slider in the league. 

Well if thats all there is to it then he should be an MLB all star next year

On 7/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I didn't mind the Tigers pick, especially with Leiter off the board.  Marcelo Mayer would have been nice but we have zero pitching with MLB potential in the minors now so it was good to restock.  Jobe will be MLB ready between when Turnbull and SKubal/Mize need contracts so it will help us keep a solid rotation for a long while.  Not to mention Madden in the supplemental 1st was a steal as he was a top 10 prospect on many lists and Pacheco was a top 20 prospect on many lists so we still have a high upside SS in the early rounds.

I sort of hope the Pistons move down one spot.  I am really high on Jalen Green and if he played college ball and got the hype, there would be more talk of him being the #1 pick.  A super athletic scoring wing is what we need and I think Cade is a little overrated.  Cade definitely has a higher floor but I think Green has a higher ceiling so if we can drop down to #2 and add some future draft capital, I'd be all for it.  I wouldnt move any further than 2 though because we need a star and those two are both going to be stars. 

I am not as much up on the NHL but from all I have read its a solid move. I know higher picks are good for rebuilds but we still have two first round picks and 2 second round picks and 2 third round picks this year, as well as an additional 2nd next year. You can only have so many in the farm system at a time so adding a solid vet to help Seider develop is worth it IMO.  

Red Wings move is pretty perplexing honestly. 7 million, on a 30 year old plus coughed up a 2nd round pick. Idk, Yzerman has to have some plan here with him... Think I noticed he wasn't protected for the expainsion draft so maybe they're hoping Seattle picks Leddy and they pulled like a 9 million dollar salary dump. 

I get the "reasoning" but it's more of an excuse. Red Wings have TONS of cap space. They could of went and signed any veteran they wanted to play with Seider for a 1 year 6-7 million dollar deal.

Nothing too get too upset about either way. Just kinda one of those moves that make me say... " wait Why? " If he kept around maybe he'll be moved at the TDL for something, idk.

Edited by SimbaWho

On 7/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I largely agree.

I think the exchange of contracts is significant in this. Panik was also a "bad contract", but with two years left. In terms of the roster, Yzerman could've viewed him as the odd man out, but with a contract that no one would want.

In Leddy, we fill a need with a solid player that has an expiring contract that can be flipped at the deadline. With all of our draft capital, I think it makes sense.

Red Wings retained 50% of Paniks contract. So... yeah idk, I'm not real sure about coughing up the 2nd rdp either. Just agree it's an over-pay cause Red Wings could of gone different routes and got a top 4 defensemen for this team cheap.(money and picks)

Nothing to get too upset about. Red Wings still far off. They need a lot of help, a top line LHD, at least a 2nd line center but imo a 1st line center to push Larkin down, and a 1st line winger capable of 25-30 goals a year, a player anyone Winger/defender/center capable of 80 points a season.

* Worthy to note there are some BIG names coming up as UFA's next off-season when Red Wings have even more cash coming off the books. I think it's something ridiculous like 40 + million.

Edited by SimbaWho