New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

random question think Spielman gets Megatron his money? and Calvin joins the search as well?

I don't know if he would join in on the search but I do think he'll convince them to give him his money and maybe make him a brand ambassador. It's the right thing to do and it helps to bring positive energy around the organization. Look at what the Maverick's just did for JJ Barea. 

After all of the negative energy around the team, it would be an inexpensive way to change that narrative. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

random question think Spielman gets Megatron his money? and Calvin joins the search as well?

What would be the cap impact of paying Megatron his signing bonus back next season? I keep hearing the cap is supposed to go down significantly because of profits in 2020 being down due to covid. 

30 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

What would be the cap impact of paying Megatron his signing bonus back next season? I keep hearing the cap is supposed to go down significantly because of profits in 2020 being down due to covid. 

Interesting question. This might be a ridiculous question, but would it have to come out of the Lions cap? Could they pay him outside of the Lions payroll...say Ford stock or just cash just because? I mean, in reality the money wasn't due to him and they are not in contract to give it to him.

I'm kind of curious what everyone thinks of this. I mean, I love Chris Spielman, but how does he help rebuild the culture? Is it just because he is a former player who is beloved in Detroit? Is this the only qualification that matters? I don't really understand why hiring him gives us hope. Is he going to tell Rod Wood "Hey, I didn't like this as a player?"

Same with Barry Sanders. It seems like it is more of a PR stunt to try to win over fans than actually do anything else.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical as I get older, but it really made me kind of cringe when I saw it.

With this being said, I like Spielman is getting a chance to learn the FO and hopefully he can become a fantastic future GM. I just don't really see what or how this helps the Lions today.

53 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm kind of curious what everyone thinks of this. I mean, I love Chris Spielman, but how does he help rebuild the culture? Is it just because he is a former player who is beloved in Detroit? Is this the only qualification that matters? I don't really understand why hiring him gives us hope. Is he going to tell Rod Wood "Hey, I didn't like this as a player?"

Same with Barry Sanders. It seems like it is more of a PR stunt to try to win over fans than actually do anything else.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical as I get older, but it really made me kind of cringe when I saw it.

With this being said, I like Spielman is getting a chance to learn the FO and hopefully he can become a fantastic future GM. I just don't really see what or how this helps the Lions today.

Because these rich unathletic people need a players point of view. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Because these rich unathletic people need a players point of view. 

He's not wrong. We seem to forget or pay less attention to the fact that this is both a sports team and a business. There's a lot more to it than just the play on the field - ticket sales, suites, merchandising, advertising, charitable foundation, etc. From my understanding, Rod Wood is pretty good at most of this stuff but he's definitely not a football guy. Spielman is that guy and he has been a part of the organization and the city for a long time. Ownership placed their faith in outside sources and wound up with Quinn and Patricia. It can't hurt to bring in a guy that is essentially "homegrown" to help guide this process. 

I don't know if he can get too specific on everything because I do think it can restrict who will want to take the GM and HC jobs. You're going to have a tough time getting quality candidates at GM if you're essentially a figurehead and everything is getting filtered through Spielman. It'll be tough to get a quality HC in if they can't build their team culture in their image and Spielman is second guessing every decision. As much as I do like the hire (and I really do), there does need to be a little more definition on his role involves after the hires are made. We don't need a Coughlin/Marrone situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

To elaborate on FTWs response, it is to add some football knowledge in a position above GM.  Spielman can be that voice between Rod Wood and the GM to help get things done on the football side of things.  Its part of the re-organization I was hoping for as I was very against having a non-football guy in Wood making football decisions.  Adding in any position that will help our next GM succeed is something that gives me hope and the Lions were able to do that.  I think it was smart not making him the GM but being there to support and assist the GM will allow the GM to focus on their priorities.  

That being said it may not work out at all, but at least its more of a change than just plugging in a new GM and coach into an organization that those positions always seem to fail.  

• Like 2

I actually like that SFH is bringing in football people to help out with football decisions. I also love when former players get involved with the team. I don't know how well Spielman or Sanders will be at their job, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

As for Calvin, I'm tired of hiring about "his money". He negotiated a new $132 million contract in bad faith. He's lucky all they did was ask for part of his signing bonus back, which were they were able to do per the contract he agreed to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To elaborate on FTWs response, it is to add some football knowledge in a position above GM.  Spielman can be that voice between Rod Wood and the GM to help get things done on the football side of things.  Its part of the re-organization I was hoping for as I was very against having a non-football guy in Wood making football decisions.  Adding in any position that will help our next GM succeed is something that gives me hope and the Lions were able to do that.  I think it was smart not making him the GM but being there to support and assist the GM will allow the GM to focus on their priorities.  

That being said it may not work out at all, but at least its more of a change than just plugging in a new GM and coach into an organization that those positions always seem to fail.  

Exactly this. He's gotta have more recognition of football leadership than Hamp or Wood and that is of utmost importance right now.

• Like 1